Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:36:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEntity
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Entity  (Read 6670 times)
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »

I'm currently the programmer Smiley
(And part artist)

I'm planning on using the Monocle Engine as a base to make the game in.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:23:39 PM by Noel Berry » Logged

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »

Great job!

jmgandalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »

Looking really good, the art is fantastic Smiley

One thing that brothers me is the grass ground constrast, it should stick out more than the background objects.

Good luck with your project Smiley

JMG.-
Liam Berry
Level 0

Blue Raspberry Fruit Thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »

Experimenting with different art styles.
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »

So I figured I would talk a bit about how the items are going to work in the game. We were talking it over a bit and thought it would be really cool to do a system where, as you collect more components for your robot, you could dynamically equip them in different ways.

This wouldn't be customizable to the point where you could grab a set of wheels and replace his legs with wheels, and then attach an extra head to him. More like, you could get multiple different types of components for his different body sections which act differently and use different amounts of power. For example, you may have multiple leg pieces, some which allow you to run more quickly, some which give you an extra boost when jumping, perhaps even rocket lets that allow you to jet across the sky for a short amount of time.

So, different components use different amounts of energy, which means you have to be a little bit strategic when figuring out how you're going to get past specific points of the game. At one point, you, may want to attach a grappling hook and also a body hull that allows you to swim under water without malfunctioning. These parts may use up more energy than your normal parts, so you can only use them for a short amount of time before they stop working.

We're not totally sure how energy will be regained yet, but a few ideas we've been tossing around as we discuss with other developers include things like plugging the robot into certain plants to suck the life out of them (ties in very well with our story which I don't want to talk about yet), or maybe being able to pick up power cells here and there. You could also potentially automatically restore energy slowly over time (maybe the best solution?).
One thing we need to make sure of though, is that the energy/components thing doesn't restrict the gameplay and make it frustrating. We don't want someone just sitting around waiting for their energy to refill to get up a hill or something - that would be a boring game. So it's gonna require some thought ....  Beer!

Also, here are a bunch of old player mockups just for fun. Oldest on the left to most recent on the right

Still needs a ton of improving (obviously, haha).

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic