Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:34:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopProfiles in ASCII
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Profiles in ASCII  (Read 4408 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:46:45 AM »

Can I get some c&c on these ASCII images? They're for my LD19 game and I'm afraid the quality might start to suffer for the number of them I'm having to make.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »

Only a few of them are very easy to read, (grandma is great btw) but i think that goes with the territory.

There are some bit i don't understand, however, such as the triangles on the 1st and 4th characters shoulders, and where #15's mouth is Tongue

You've kept a consistent style, which can't have been easy, so gratz on that. I understand what you say about having so many characters and still making them interesting.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »

That red head looks friggin' psycho, so if that was the plan then kudos.  Also, yeah the Grandma is definitely the best.

It's weird seeing a Picasso style in ASCII art, but I think it might work.  Not sure about some of the colours, but them's the breaks of EGA. How is the rest of it coming along for LD19?

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »

These comments worry me for two reasons. The first being that none of them were meant to be anything close to grandmothers and the second being a combination of none of those are supposed to be psycho and not knowing which one you're referring to in the first place.

But all concerns aside, you can see for yourself how the game turned out.

There's a lot of polish I want to add yet and just didn't have the time for during the 48 hours, so don't let your opinion be too harsh.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »

2nd row, 1st column: Really not a grandmother?  Old chinese man perhaps?  Either way, looks brilliant (even if unintentionally so.)

3rd row, 4th column: The googly-eyes makes her look kinda nutty is all.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:10 PM »

2nd row, 1st column: Really not a grandmother?  Old chinese man perhaps?  Either way, looks brilliant (even if unintentionally so.)

It's a judge.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:57:08 PM »

I guess it's not the eyes, I just noticed they all do that.  Perhaps it's the mouth?  I dunno what it is about her, but she freaks me right out.  The funny thing is that in-game, I don't notice any of this.  It must be the context working it's magic.

Man, LD19 in general is gonna suck up some serious holiday time.  Lots of interesting stuff this time 'round  My Word!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »

It's hard to critique ASCII art, but I like the style quite a bit. Not sure how your game works, but it seems like it'd be easy to procedurally generate these.

How many do you have to make?
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 07:42:02 PM »

Thanks much!

There's a total of 36 unique faces in my LD19 submission. (12 of them are jurors with a single line each Durr...?) but due to running out of time I wasn't able to put in quite all the NPCs I wanted to.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic