Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:57:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopGeneral sprite help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: General sprite help  (Read 5848 times)
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2010, 06:03:36 AM »

Already got some tips on the help topic, but let's continue here.

Started two quick versions of other characters (and their equips) to take a break from seeing the same character all the time.

I'll see first, if anyone can see what they're supposed to be...

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

Already got some tips on the help topic, but let's continue here.

Started two quick versions of other characters (and their equips) to take a break from seeing the same character all the time.

I'll see first, if anyone can see what they're supposed to be...

2nd chap in the red jacket has hands in pockets? if so his right hand looks a bit high compared to his left and the beard looks like a strap-on (chin-strap?). Cant tell what the 3rd character is meant to be but makes me think of a limbed mr hankey ( I think its the hat).

bow/arrow look clear but arrow head perhaps make it a triangle rather than diamond so it doesn't look like a lolly. The red/grey on the axe reminds me of a old fashioned magnet. Other two things look like garden trowels? and something on a chain, but am not sure which the business end is (knife on the right, or small grapple hooks on the left).

If the weapons are to be held by the characters and not UI sprites - then I would suggest chunking them up a bit as they don't look very strong/weighty.

hope that's some use...

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »

The middle guy's face is very blurry. For small important details like eyes it's worth favouring contrast and clarity over colour or shading. His legs don't really look like they're supporting him, I think his hips are a bit low really. If his hands are in his pockets then straighter legs would suit it better, I think.

Not sure about the third one. I assumed it was some sort of evil minion thing, but when I zoomed in it looks like he has eyes. Is it some sort of ninja thing? The eyes could do with a bit of breathing space as they're not very clear with so little space around them.

Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:27:53 PM »

As I posted in the thread:

- reshaped face
- shifted your hues: shades to cooler colors, highlights to warmer colors
- changed the stance. I kept the arm exactly how it was and just rotated it and moved it into position.
- messed around with a few highlights to make the character pop.
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »

2nd chap in the red jacket has hands in pockets? if so his right hand looks a bit high compared to his left and the beard looks like a strap-on (chin-strap?). Cant tell what the 3rd character is meant to be but makes me think of a limbed mr hankey ( I think its the hat).

Yeah, guy with red jacket and hands in his pockets. The rest needs fixing tho. And maybe a better color palette?

bow/arrow look clear but arrow head perhaps make it a triangle rather than diamond so it doesn't look like a lolly. The red/grey on the axe reminds me of a old fashioned magnet. Other two things look like garden trowels? and something on a chain, but am not sure which the business end is (knife on the right, or small grapple hooks on the left).

It's supposed to be poisoned arrow tip/poison bottle, maybe if I made it purpple or green? And the axe's supposed to be hammer - I didn't really think that one so troughfully yet.

Dual knifes, at least I though so...and a grapling hook.

If the weapons are to be held by the characters and not UI sprites - then I would suggest chunking them up a bit as they don't look very strong/weighty.

hope that's some use...

Yup, for the corresponding characters only, expect for the grapling hook. So I'll buff them up and make a different pic for the grapple.

The middle guy's face is very blurry. For small important details like eyes it's worth favouring contrast and clarity over colour or shading. His legs don't really look like they're supporting him, I think his hips are a bit low really. If his hands are in his pockets then straighter legs would suit it better, I think.

Okay. Brighter palette for the face, maybe?

Not sure about the third one. I assumed it was some sort of evil minion thing, but when I zoomed in it looks like he has eyes. Is it some sort of ninja thing? The eyes could do with a bit of breathing space as they're not very clear with so little space around them.

Yup, ninja thing, maybe if I just make the mask smaller? And brighter skin palette.

As I posted in the thread:

- reshaped face
- shifted your hues: shades to cooler colors, highlights to warmer colors
- changed the stance. I kept the arm exactly how it was and just rotated it and moved it into position.
- messed around with a few highlights to make the character pop.

Yeah sorry, missed it there.

The face looks a bit weird, but the pose makes more sense that way. Not sure about the overly bright colors.

Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »

The colors haven't changed at all in brightness or saturation, only hue.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »

The third one character is very strange to me.

I think it's that his arms and legs are the same girth as his torso.  It's very weird.  It gives me the sense that he's some kind of wormy-mollusk-ninja.

Actually it'd be pretty cool to be some kind of wormy-mollusk-ninja.  With the ability to regrow lost limbs or move some of the mass of your body into one of your limbs, or shrink your head back into your stomach, or wall climb with mucus...

I know what I'm gonna grow up to be.
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:49:33 AM »

The colors haven't changed at all in brightness or saturation, only hue.

Oh...
I need new eyes?

I think it's that his arms and legs are the same girth as his torso.  It's very weird.  It gives me the sense that he's some kind of wormy-mollusk-ninja.

Actually it'd be pretty cool to be some kind of wormy-mollusk-ninja.  With the ability to regrow lost limbs or move some of the mass of your body into one of your limbs, or shrink your head back into your stomach, or wall climb with mucus...

That sounds kinda cool...
Someone cut your arm? Use it as a weapon while you grow a new one.

But, spoiler(? >>) it's supposed to be very old man, who's ninja.

And new sprites sometimes in the new year, too much christmas buzz right now.

Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:03:03 PM »

The extra highlights might be throwing you off, overall the image stands out more now. Which I think is one of the biggest problems, as you're using a very bland palette. When you put it in a scene with equally muted colors and start moving things around, you're going to lose your main character, especially when she's green.
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:46:44 AM »

So, might regret it later, but I'm too lazy to change the style now. As long it's passable, it's fine for me.

But to not let this thread go waste, here are animations that are almost finished (= they look like they could almost be ingame, needs just finetuning - or something).
Do any of them need fixing up?

(transition to falling needs to be smoother, and maybe different leg position?)
(last frames need to be changed)

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »

I think the run anim could do with a bit of work. The legs especially are quite confusing. Between frames 3 and 4 her closest leg goes from bent to fully stretched, but the foot doesn't actually move forwards. The same foot also doesn't move forwards or backwards on frame 5 either. So it stays in pretty much the same place for 3 frames which doesn't work.

Similarly when a foot is at the back of the run cycle it is hanging in the same place for 2 frames.

The punchiness on the arm movement is a bit backwards. It takes 4 frames for the arm to move forwards, but only 2 frames to move backwards. She should instead be thrusting them forward as she runs.

I also feel like it could do with a more wavy motion on the hair, to match the bobbing up and down.

I did a very rough edit to smooth out the motion of the legs and the closest arm:

Also here's a run anim I made a while ago, it shows the kind of wavy ponytail thing.

Blue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »

Honestly, changing colors is not changing style. It is really quick, more so if you do it MS Paint's right-click eraser. Even if you still don't want to change all of the colors, you might want to change her hair's highlight's color. It looks really odd as it is; make it a little darker.

Onto the animations, yeah, different leg positions would make the falling look a lot better.
The normal stance looks weird, probably because her feet don't move, whereas the rest of her body does.
Slashing and shooting animations look good to me, and I think you should follow Ishi's advice on the running animation.
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 01:03:30 AM »

*lots of good stuff*

I knew that there's was something wrong with it, just couldn't figure out what. I'll try changing the legs and arms. The hair maybe needs to be redrawn for each frame (if you look closely, it's copy&paste'd in almost all frames <<).

Honestly, changing colors is not changing style. It is really quick, more so if you do it MS Paint's right-click eraser. Even if you still don't want to change all of the colors, you might want to change her hair's highlight's color. It looks really odd as it is; make it a little darker.

Actually, the new sprite is also bigger and some parts are drawn in totally different way. But, if you tell me how to change all the colors quickly, I can then change them when I put them all onto spritesheet, if I decide to change them.

Onto the animations, yeah, different leg positions would make the falling look a lot better.
The normal stance looks weird, probably because her feet don't move, whereas the rest of her body does.
Slashing and shooting animations look good to me, and I think you should follow Ishi's advice on the running animation.

Should I just put the legs other way or both legs extended for the landing? What would be the most sensible position to fall with minimal pain?

Yeah I tried to something about the feet before, but I'll try again...

And about the sword animations, is the last attack clear? I'm gonna alter it a bit and maybe add one more frame there. The third attack I need to redraw, to twist her body more.

Edit:

Started editing the jump animation, there are alot mistakes, like the leg lenght getting lenghtier, but I just wanted to see if something like this would work.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:17:49 AM by Relix » Logged

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 06:07:01 AM »

So, I made some variations to the palette, some of these are jokes, but would any of these be better than the current one? The ones that are same color, have different blue, but it's barely visible...

I think I like the one with pinkier hair the most.

Edit:

Edit:

(I took the boots flapping away from the falling, it looked dump afterall)

Edit:

Edit:

This one turned way worse than I intended, the charging part is just there for now.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:15:53 AM by Relix » Logged

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 07:09:09 AM »

I'm still here - so update.

Edit:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:08:00 AM by Relix » Logged

Kevin
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »

Seems you've settled on a pretty awesome style, so here's my take on it:

This is mainly based on the palette of the second sprite in the third row. I noticed that one used darker outlines in places,which I thought looked good and applied to the whole sprite. The more brighter colours you used also work really well, I think, and help make the sprite 'pop' more, so I used a more saturated palette. I added the fingerless gloves back in because I feel they help make the hands look more like hands. I also tried to simplify the palette a bit overall. There were some colours that were pretty close in terms of contrast, and I find that to be the kind of thing that can get in the way when it comes time to animate. Personal preference, entirely.

I think, given the speed of movement in the second of the most recent animations, the sword should pretty much just be a motion blur.
ink.inc
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »

Wow... that looks much... cleaner.
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:38 AM »

Seems you've settled on a pretty awesome style, so here's my take on it:

I er...went back to the first (actually it's third or fourth style...) style. I'll make some small changes to the current sprite, but I'm too lazy to redo it entirely. I do need a better palette tho.

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »

I'm extremely proud of the final attack there.

Edit:
Not proud anymore.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:28:44 AM by Relix » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic