Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:38:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThey Come Out At Night [now with something playable!]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: They Come Out At Night [now with something playable!]  (Read 6083 times)
JoGribbs
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:51:25 AM »

Oh hey.

So I made a game. You have probably not heard of it, but that's okay because it's not very good. And I'm okay with it not being very good because I made it from scratch in 7 days for the Experimental Gameplay Project. Since then there's been some interest in it (keyword: some), and I always intended to go back to it at some point, so that is what I'm doing. (Also, the ghost/makers thing is postponed until after the holidays, and I thought it'd help me concentrate on that  better if I worked on something else for a bit).

You can play the EGP version at the link above. Based on a number of people playing it and criticising it (which is incredibly useful, by the way) I'm going to outline the main problems with it, as well as my current or intended fix:

-This error shows up when you die:
for object oCursor:

Error in code at line 9:
if oControl.vNight=0 && oPlrtop.vEquip=0
^
at position 34: Unknown variable vEquip
This is due to oPlrtop being destroyed, so oCursor has nowhere to get vEquip from. I already fixed it by adding a line of code checking whether oPlrtop exists. It's a mistake I'm frankly embarrassed to have made.

- It's hard to know things like when you're being hurt, or what items you are getting out of chests.
These are examples of nice things I had to forget about in order to get it done in time. I'll be telegraphing damage better and there'll be text coming out of the chests to tell you what you got.

- It's small. Too small. My eyes hurt from staring at your teensy tiny videogame.
Right now you can resize the window, which kind of solves this. The problem being that it looks blurry as fuck, which kind of ruins my lovely pixel art. I'll be working on a 2x option later, but right now I'm concentrating on more abstract design fixes.

- It's too easy because:
    - There's no incentive to kill enemies; just bunker up for the night and wait.
    - There's too much health.
Two birds with one stone: Chests no longer give out health, and health pickups are dropped by enemies. Secondly, there's now a limit to your HP. Finally, there's now 'the money gun', which will exchange HP for certain things (more on that in a minute).

- Barricades only disappear at dawn, which removes any tension of them failing during the night.
Barricades aren't solid until you purchase them with the money gun. Then their health can be upgraded with it. Their HP will wear down over time, so there's every chance that they'll fail during the night (which might make bunkering down more interesting). This isn't implemented yet, but hopefully it'll make for some nice risk/reward.

- The Map is a bit boring - visually, mechanically and in terms of design.
The map was the last thing I designed, and I designed it on-the-go as I was making it. Also, I suck at designing maps. That being said, I will be trying harder in future: there will be 3 different areas, and they're probably going to be much smaller than the current one. They'll also look nicer.

This is a mock-up, featuring some of the gameplay changes I want to make:

Here are some test screenshots since I've been working on it again:

Will be updating on my progress in this topic if anyone cares.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:31:49 AM by Jogr » Logged
JoGribbs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 03:22:37 AM »

Barricades now work perfectly. A lot easier than I thought!
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 04:44:56 AM »

Is the link provided updated with the new fixes?
Or do I have to wait for a new link to kill moar things in the dark?

I digress...
As I mentioned earlier it's got a good feel to it in the previous version.
Obvious things to fix you have already pointed out.

Good luck, hope to see this game pushed to it's full potential.  Beer!

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

JoGribbs
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:11:38 AM »

No it's not updated yet. I'll probs do one update with all the gameplay tweaks, and then another with new maps.

Thanks for the support : 3
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »

This game is a really cool concept.  Could you default the screen to scale 2x at least?

JoGribbs
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »

I prefer 1x, but I'll add a 2x option on like the first screen for people.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »

Thanks!  1x is just a bit hard to read on modern monitors, mine's running 1650x1080 and it's not doing justice to your game.

MaloEspada
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »

Hey. I prefered your older username, haha.

On topic: nice to see you are expanding on this. Godspeed.
JoGribbs
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »

I am indecisive about which username I am using. They're all nearabouts the same though.

New screenie:

Testing new lighting script.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 03:47:54 PM »

I prefer 1x, but I'll add a 2x option on like the first screen for people.
if its the crispness your worried about, there is a trick with using surfaces that prevents the blurring from the standard screen stretch.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3142.msg86809#msg86809

JoGribbs
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 04:03:35 PM »

I am aware; I am using GM free edition ATM though Embarrassed no surfaces.

I was planning on getting it eventually and I have money for it, so I'll be working on that as soon as I buy it.

EDIT: 500 posts!
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »

this is one of the games I enjoyed from the last EGP compo, I'm glad you're continuing work on it.

JoGribbs
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 05:51:28 AM »

Chests now tell you what's in them!
Nitromatic
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 06:02:47 AM »

This game is wonderful! I love the graphics, too. :-
And you created this with GameMaker 8 Lite?

You got +50 respect!
PS : You plan to get music in this?
JoGribbs
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »

Thank you kindly  Gentleman

I have no musical talent whatsoever, so I'm really not thinking about music at the moment. I think if I had some it would have to be rather minimalist. But like I said, I don't really know a whole lot about music, so I don't really think about it.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »

This is looking pretty cool.  The lighting effect works really well to give the nighttime sections intensity.

I have no musical talent whatsoever, so I'm really not thinking about music at the moment. I think if I had some it would have to be rather minimalist. But like I said, I don't really know a whole lot about music, so I don't really think about it.

If you'd like, I can write a bit of music for you to use.

JoGribbs
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »

That would be wizard. Send me a PM if you are serious.
JoGribbs
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 06:48:35 PM »

I have been away for christmas. The work I have done since I've been back has been behind-the-scenes stuff that is not visually interesting. Here's an environment mockup to make up for that.
JoGribbs
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 07:47:59 PM »

Bad News:

In trying to improve the lighting, I broke it.

Good News:

I discovered this weird effect that I have to use at some point.

Other Changes:
- Weapon code is all sorted and works perfectly. Previously, after adding new weapons and separating guns from drops, I had broken it. It worked fine for testing, but now it works fine for playing.
- All the guns work differently now. The pistol has a longer recoil, and the rifle doesn't explode on contact, but will go through enemies.
- General cleanup for messy code.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 07:53:42 PM by Jogr » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »

This is looking VERY nice, Jogr Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Hope to see a playable build in the future!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic