Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:17:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSay hello to my leetle friends....
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Say hello to my leetle friends....  (Read 5363 times)
RCIX
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:50:22 PM »

So i'm working on some, er, firepower themed sketches, and i'd like some feedback. Here's the first:

The second is currently uploading to Dropbox, and i'll post it ASAP!
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »

May I ask what the purpose of this sketch is? Is it concept art, or just a sketch?
RCIX
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:33:13 PM »

A mix -- i don't have any particular game in mind for it, but i do plan to integrate it with a sci-fi setting i'm working on. For reference, it's a bit smaller than normal handguns of today -- not as big as a rifle or anything.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:02:47 PM »

Where does handle go? If you hold the curved bit at the back end than it'd be really difficult to aim, think about function (you could have a laser sight in that blank space above the barrel if you don't want to line the barrel up with the top of the gun Shrug). Also, use a ruler for your lines if you're going for a technical look, and even if not, you shouldn't be spending time redrawing the same line, try to get an entire line down in one stroke. Sketchy lines make drawings look more 'amateurish'.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »

Yeah gotta agree...
1. Can't aim by eye because the handle thing is in the way
2. Can't really aim by feel because the barrel isn't centered on the handle
3. If this is a large weapon meant to be held low with both hands, the handles would be awkward to hold

hi
RCIX
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:46:18 PM »

Where does handle go? If you hold the curved bit at the back end than it'd be really difficult to aim, think about function (you could have a laser sight in that blank space above the barrel if you don't want to line the barrel up with the top of the gun Shrug).
You hold the back bit of the curved part, then the trigger is on the top of that part. Is it the shape of the handle or the placement of the barrel more that causes this?
Also, use a ruler for your lines if you're going for a technical look, and even if not, you shouldn't be spending time redrawing the same line, try to get an entire line down in one stroke. Sketchy lines make drawings look more 'amateurish'.
Well, if i try to do it in one stroke the line either looks jet black or vaguely like the pencil was drunk when sketching it Tongue I suppose a ruler would help.

2. Can't really aim by feel because the barrel isn't centered on the handle
Vertically or horizontally?
3. If this is a large weapon meant to be held low with both hands, the handles would be awkward to hold
Single handed.

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll sketch up an improved version a bit later (maybe tomorrow)! All this brings me to my next design:

The handle is a little weird (didn't get as much of a nice curving shape like on the 500 model). It's also a bit big...

This one is about 2/3rds the length of a Tommy gun. It fires [insert sci-fi projectile here] at a rate of 20 rounds/second. The vertical quad barrel design offers a large bullet spread to improve the chance of hitting the intended target at a sacrifice of precision. You'd hold it with the handle in one hand and the bottom middle of the gun in the other.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:06:15 PM by RCIX » Logged
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:48:54 PM »

That two-handed design seems ergonomically unsound, due to one hand holding the trigger and the other holding the gun. If the handle hand slips, you will lose the grip on the gun. Having one hand on both the handle and the trigger while the other steadies the gun is a lot more convenient, and means you can fire without using both hands.

RCIX
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:05:09 AM »

Edit: i get it, hmm. I see what you're saying. Gonna have to think about how to fix that...
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:50:07 PM »

It seems like having the handle be horizontal is just a very inconvenient design. Most guns have a vertical-facing handle, whether sticking out of the bottom or behind the gun, since it's the easiest way for a human to hold it, with the exception of a minigun that is held at the waist. (Probably used only in video games, but hey.)

If that gun is similar to an SMG, it would help to have a handle sticking out of the bottom near the front for the other hand to grab onto, or even a grip on the barrel. The dominant hand holding the trigger, while the other hand stabilizes it.

RCIX
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:50:52 PM »

Not really happy with the current state of the 500 model, but my resketch (fairly quick one, didn't really clean it up yet) of the 1400 model came out with a fairly nice handgun design:

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 05:28:11 PM »

It looks like an improvement. My caveat now is that the trigger button seems way too easy to press. There's a reason triggers on guns have some kind of physical resistance, so you don't shoot yourself in the foot when you're holding it by the handle. There's not even a "safety" in order to lock the gun when you're not using it.

The gun seems upside-down to me, since you are going to want the straight part of the gun barrel on top in order to aim. If the top is uneven like that it would be hard to accurately point the weapon. Even pistols have a small ironsight at the end since you usually don't shoot from the hip.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »

Yeah, again it would be difficult/impossible to aim with this model.  Also, I'm kind of confused what kind of projectiles you're shooting that use a square-ish barrel.

hi
namre
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 10:17:41 PM »

A good way to create weapon designs is to draw how they are handled as well. Draw a basic human figure and show how they would hold it. This would make it easier to get criticisms from other people.

:D Goodluck!
RCIX
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »

It looks like an improvement. My caveat now is that the trigger button seems way too easy to press. There's a reason triggers on guns have some kind of physical resistance, so you don't shoot yourself in the foot when you're holding it by the handle. There's not even a "safety" in order to lock the gun when you're not using it.

The gun seems upside-down to me, since you are going to want the straight part of the gun barrel on top in order to aim. If the top is uneven like that it would be hard to accurately point the weapon. Even pistols have a small ironsight at the end since you usually don't shoot from the hip.
Can i handwave all of this away with sci-fi technology (holographic projection of sight from indent near top of gun, fancy trigger with resistance even though it doesn't look it)? Wink Tongue I'd still have to actually draw the sight, or maybe some sort of laser projector system is better. or both?

It fires some sort of "replicated" molten metal slug (converted from osmium via matter-to-energy and energy-to-matter systems) accelerated via compact railgun tech. Can you tell i like technobabble?

A good way to create weapon designs is to draw how they are handled as well. Draw a basic human figure and show how they would hold it. This would make it easier to get criticisms from other people.

:D Goodluck!
Thanks, that's a good idea!
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »

Sure, you COULD handwave everything, but in the end, you want to make it at least somewhat functional. Showing where all the doodads are, even if their operation is technobabble, makes it more believable than just saying "the hologram comes from somewhere". Heck, you might not even need to put a button there if you say that the gun is psychically operated or something along those lines - but it's more believable if there are a bunch of metal contacts there to "absorb your brainwaves".

RCIX
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 01:01:32 AM »

Sure, you COULD handwave everything, but in the end, you want to make it at least somewhat functional. Showing where all the doodads are, even if their operation is technobabble, makes it more believable than just saying "the hologram comes from somewhere". Heck, you might not even need to put a button there if you say that the gun is psychically operated or something along those lines - but it's more believable if there are a bunch of metal contacts there to "absorb your brainwaves".
Doesn't even need to be psychic -- something along the lines of electricity sensing plates that can precisely detect how much pressure you're applying via your finger and then fire if it's high enough...

Grin
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 06:23:59 AM »

You should work on the silhouette before you try drawing it in perspective.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123094
^quick google to find something of use. check out the 2nd post from the top, first silhouettes, then shapes. After that it'll be much easier and faster to do it in perspective.

I AM FREE!
RCIX
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »

You should work on the silhouette before you try drawing it in perspective.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123094
^quick google to find something of use. check out the 2nd post from the top, first silhouettes, then shapes. After that it'll be much easier and faster to do it in perspective.
Thanks so much for that, will do!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic