Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69443 Topics- by 58487 Members - Latest Member: Umiii7

June 17, 2024, 07:41:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationHippie Toilet (et al.)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hippie Toilet (et al.)  (Read 4264 times)
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

Why is Hippie Toilet Hippie Toilet?
Hippie Toilet is one of the hundreds of procedurally generated names the game can have when you boot it up (other examples: Mr. Internet, 1940s Lemon, Elderly Extremity, and Yes Yes).

What is it, though?
It's sort of an isometric platformer/Othello hybrid. You play as a little unnamed guy and you stomp on blocks to change their color. The level layouts are all procedurally generated based on the name you enter in the beginning of the game. However, it's not that easy. Enemies popping up in a procedurally generated pattern will follow procedurally generated paths across the screen, messing up your progress.

What's being used to make this?
It's Game Maker. Not exactly a great engine for procedurally generating content, but it's either this or Flash for me, and for the sake of speeding up development and working with pixel art, I chose GM7.

Who's making this?
I'm doing all the programming, and Mr. Yes is doing the art and music.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:17:27 PM by Zachary Hinchliffe » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:14:04 PM »

Sounds very interesting. The random name is an especially nice touch. Coloured blocks + platformer + procedural reminds me of Polychromatic Funky Monkey, which is a good thing. A very good thing.

Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:41:54 PM »

and here's mainguy!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:59:48 PM by Zachary Hinchliffe » Logged
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »

You could procedurally generate the character too! Jk.
Sounds very cool.  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic