Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:27:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsunnamed retro RPG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: unnamed retro RPG  (Read 13833 times)
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »

Personally, I recognize games as falling under one or more of these categories:

In case you are suggesting every game can fit into one of those categories (or a hybrid category formed by combining them)... well, I'm sure you can tell there are innumerable games out there that this simply won't work for.

Adventure - To qualify as an adventure game, a large part of gameplay should be finding and exploring large and interesting environments. The key concept is that rather than simply 'make it to the next level so you're closer to the end of the game', the environment has specific defining characteristics, nonlinearity being the one which stands out most. Metroidvanias are adventure games with the defining characteristic of finding specific items which grant abilities to the player to make reaching the next area possible. Examples: Ocarina of Time, Half-Life, Metroid, Castlevania

Games where you progress primarily by puzzle solving (as in, not reflex based) are typically called adventure games. Unfortunately, since 'adventure' is a rather generic term it does get used in the way you've suggested a bit too. There's no other widely used term to describe games like Monkey Island, though.

Anyway, I feel this has diverged way too far from the original purpose of this thread, although I am interested as to the genre of keithw84's game and what exactly your "own style of gameplay" will entail.

As a side note, the projects subforum is not for topics such as this, but I have no doubt it will be moved to a more appropriate location soon.
keithw84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »

lol sorry guys if this is located in the wrong section of the forums. hopefully it does get moved to a more appropriate place, in other news I just edited my sprite to be 4 colours and set a palette for the game to be a total of 48 colours

to see my further work on the character colour and detail I posted my pics here in my dev blog

http://burntpixelproductions.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/edited-character-sprite-decided-to-go-with-4-colours-per-sprite/

keithw84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 10:08:27 PM »

and as to the whole topic of game genre i'll clear this up, by zelda-esque I meant the visual style will remind you of the first zelda game. the gameplay however, will not. It will be more RPG like with action involved as well but not to the extent where the game is 99% action and 1% dialogue/RPG element oriented. it'll be more like a 50/50 split if you get what i mean.

keithw84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 12:43:14 AM »

made an extremely basic build for testing and feedback purposes. can be found here: http://burntpixelproductions.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/my-first-test/

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »

It's an improvement but it's still not up to NES specifications. You're actually using 6 colors - the transparent (white) background, the skin and hair tones, the black and brown, and the white (non-transparent) eyes. Take your avatar, for example. See how there's only the white (transparent) background, black, orange, and a light shade of tan. 4 colors.

See this sprite of Link from Zelda 1. There's the white (transparent) background, brown, green, and tan. 4 colors.
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »

actually zelda is more action than adventure or both. >_> adventure games are monkey island type games, more narrative than fighting, more puzzle solving and thinking. But it really depends >_< games contain elements of each genre so it is impossible to classify them.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »

i don't really think of it that way -- rpg as a genre has clear qualities: a party, classes, gaining levels, stats, equipment which enhances those stats, turn-based combat.
I don't think those qualities are "clear" at all. Why are a party, classes and turn-based combat necessary for instance? I can think of a whole lot of RPGs than don't have those.
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »

Oblivion doesn't have turn based combat, or a party. Fallout doesnt have class', along with a bunch of the final fantasys (also dont have properly turn based combat, but they might as well,) the GURPS system doesnt (usually) have levels or class'.
aaanndd then Castelvania Symphony of the night has levels, stats, sort of a party (familiars, so sort of) and equipment, meaning its pretty much tied for RPG status with GURPS, or Oblivion, or most BioWare RPG's.

The point Im making is we need room for shades of gray in our game genre's, and likely magenta as well.
If Keith wants to make an RPG similar too zelda 1, more power too him. If he wanted to make an FPS like fallout 2 thats also fine.
bengrue
Level 0

I code. A lot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 01:47:36 AM »

I definitely am in favor of more experimentation in this space.  The idea of taking various "consoley" concepts and smashing them together with "computery" concepts is awesome and should be done more.

Current Project: Sully: A Very Serious RPG

Executive Producer of Dungeons of Dredmor

@bengrue on the twitternets
BobFM
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »

The safest way to categorize Zelda games is "action-adventure". Yeah, it's kinda vague. The only Zelda game that started to slip into RPG territory was Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Anyways, good luck on your project!
Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 04:22:37 AM »

If it's fantasy and has fairies, wizards and trolls it's an RPG

If it takes place in the future like Star Wars it's a sci-fi FPS

Problem solved

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 10:29:28 PM »

I'm sorry, keithw84, your topic kind of turned into a stupid genre debate. It seems like debate derails are getting more and more common lately. Undecided
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »

I'm sorry, keithw84, your topic kind of turned into a stupid genre debate. It seems like debate derails are getting more and more common lately. Undecided

No they're not.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »

They totally are. Wanna fight about it?
rogerlevy
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 06:57:57 AM »

guys, fixed genres are so 20th century.  let the boy call it an rpg.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic