Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:59:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)MSPaint Art
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: MSPaint Art  (Read 5388 times)
squidkid
Level 1

8-)

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »

Does anyone else use MSPaint regularly?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:08:04 PM by squidkid » Logged

Enough talk, have at you!
Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »

Yes. Why?
squidkid
Level 1

8-)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:52:51 PM »

Yes. Why?
I guess it's because there are so many different more sophisticated programs out there. I use MSPaint because it has tools that I've learned to love, it's easy to use, and it gets the job done. Also, it's almost made for pixel art. I also don't know any better programs. I've used PhotoShop and Gimp, but they are either too complicated, or they don't have some of the really basic tools Paint has.

In short, I don't know of anything more suited for pixel art.

Kramlack
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »

GraphicsGale is amazing for pixel art. It's basically Paint with more undo's, layering, and animation.

That said, it's also a bit more complex than paint, I haven't made the full transition over yet myself, as my claws are too deep into MSPaint it seems, but GraphicsGale is definitely the program for pixel artists.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »

I use the mac equivalent known as Paint Brush.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was the first computer program I ever used, and I've never stopped. It's kind of like notepaper for sketching ideas. Also nice for pixeling when I don't have Photoshop, save for the absolutely terrible palette.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was the first computer program I ever used, and I've never stopped. It's kind of like notepaper for sketching ideas. Also nice for pixeling when I don't have Photoshop, save for the absolutely terrible palette.

Double-click a color selection to customize it.

I use paint for nearly everything. I just hate how vista paint doesn't work on my win7 laptop, IMO it was the peak of MS Paint.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »

Hah I know how to work the first program I've used, thanks. You just can't save the colors, or save them as swatches or anything.

I think I actually got sad when I saw the Windows 7 version.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »

No other program has bested Paint yet for pixel art, not even the dedicated ones like Gale (I remember very vividly how it corrupted my image on save).

The way people usually save palettes in Paint is by including them in the image itself. Then you can eyedrop them later.

Did you know that if you click the pixels right above the 8x zoom, you activate the hidden 10x zoom.

Oh, one worthy mention is Paint Express. It's only slightly worse than Paint, but it can do transparency.
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »

One of my favorite features in paint, is the ability to swap out color 1 with color 2 using the eraser tool you can "erase" only a particular color (color 1) it will replace it with whatever color is in (color 2) by holding right-click. I've used this tool for drawing, shading, "quick re-coloring" at least it's quicker then the flood fill.

As for other programs, I've used graphics gale for animating and Promotion 6 for tile mapping.

But I find myself winding back at good 'ol MSPaint for my doodling and general pixeling.
I agree Windows 7 version is crap.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:07:51 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

squidkid
Level 1

8-)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »

One of my favorite tools for drawing in general is the polygon tool. I like having the option of having an outline with a color inside of it. It sounds ridiculous, but it works for so many different things. I only wish paint could animate gifs and have layers.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »

Windows 7 butchered MSpaint so now I only get to use MSpaint when I'm bored at work.

hi
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:59 PM »

I use the windows XP version on my windows 7

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Kramlack
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »

@Bones: As an ahead, the Window's Vista version has 9 or 10 undo's compared to the 3 that the XP version has, so I'd say it's 'the best' version of MSPaint.
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »

We should have an MSPaint art thread. That would be all sorts of cool. Not pixelling, but like.. art art.
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »

@Bones: As an ahead, the Window's Vista version has 9 or 10 undo's compared to the 3 that the XP version has, so I'd say it's 'the best' version of MSPaint.
I don't feel that undo's make it better. :/
I rarely undo anything these days, I can usually touch up any error I make unless it's drastic.

But I dislike many things about the new paint...
- The regular "pixel" brush auto AA & there are less true pixel brush shape options.
- The Pencil when enlarged sometimes doesn't draw all the pixels it's displaying after you let go of the mouse button
- Circles are no longer circles (I've been getting un-even circles using the circle tool)
- There seems to no longer be an INVERT color option
- You can only store up to 2 colors in your pen (XP version can hold 3 by holding ctrl and choosing a color)
- You have to click, and activate a color 1 or 2 before you can even change either one...

I see many flaws that don't necessarily make new paint "better"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:01:16 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

Kramlack
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »

If those cons were directed at me, I'm not saying the Windows 7 version of Paint is good, in fact, I agree with everything you said. It was butchered and lost everything that made it what it was. I'm only saying that the Vista version is the XP version with more than 3 undo's, which is nice for me.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »

If those cons were directed at me, I'm not saying the Windows 7 version of Paint is good, in fact, I agree with everything you said. It was butchered and lost everything that made it what it was. I'm only saying that the Vista version is the XP version with more than 3 undo's, which is nice for me.

Ctrl+mousewheel zoom is also a convenience.
Vinnie
Level 0

funzo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »

We should have an MSPaint art thread. That would be all sorts of cool. Not pixelling, but like.. art art.
I second this idea.
squidkid
Level 1

8-)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »

I second this idea.
Thirded.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic