Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:16:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWelkinhold
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Welkinhold  (Read 25570 times)
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »

Birds. Not sure what kind of birds fly that high while still staying as a flock. Or if those kinds of birds even exist. Oh well, that's what's awesome about making video games.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »

Want to see them on video

Conker534
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:45 PM »

Agrees
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2011, 04:56:24 AM »

I'm showing it off at the local indie get together next week, so by then I'll probably have a new video up as well as something for people to download and run. It won't be a game yet, but you'll be able to fly around and shoot stuff and tell me if your computer will run it.

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2011, 08:43:10 AM »

SHOW OFF!

Oh wait, that's the point of the show and tell...

Hey man, I'm that charismatic and handsome bald guy who was at gamejam talking to you guys a bit.

Game's looking pretty cool, man. I'm gonna try to have my game Pike & Shot some where playable so we can play that on Wednesday too; though I've been slacking since the weekend. Work's been draining and demoralizing lately. But we will persevere!

I'm interested in how simulaty your game is. Like, if and how much stuff like propeller affect your movement characteristics and such. I haven't seen much of your game yet, but I like it sort of looks like it's very algorithm determining behaviour of stuff style, like any good PC game should be! heh.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »

One of the goals for the final game will be to make it very 'simulaty' if I may borrow your term. All the parts already have their own values for mass, durability, damage, etc. we're just not at the point of working on that part.

Look forward to seeing what you have to show off!  Beer!

badsprite
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2011, 09:03:53 PM »

Loved what I saw tonight at the Show & Tell!

Can't wait for the build you promised Wink

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »

It was fun to watch in action, kind of like a Steampunky Captain Forever team game.

Keep at it!

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »

Hey everyone, I meant to post this after the Show and Tell on Thursday but I got really sick and am only recovering now.

So here it is, the first downloadable: http://www.owendeery.com/Welkinhold.rar

Like I mentioned, this doesn't have any true gameplay or win states in at the moment and there are still quite a few bugs and crashes. This is more to gauge performance, compatibility and see what people think of the general feel overall.

If you're having performance issues you can try hitting the 'B' or 'R' keys to toggle the bloom effect and god rays respectively.

Cheers!

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »

Performance was smooth, though it crashed when I closed the window at the end.
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »

Performance was smooth, though it crashed when I closed the window at the end.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm assuming there was no message on crash?

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, I'm assuming there was no message on crash?

It just came up with the Windows "This program has done an illegal operation and has to be shut down" thingy.
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

Just a quick update.

After being berated by a friend of mine for not making my editor more component based, I spent the past day and a half creating a Windows Forms type component based interface system.

While it's not a huge change visually, it will be useful when creating the control for manipulating navigation points which is next on my list.

Also I made a slider component which is way nicer for tweaking colors than input boxes. It also now lets me have virtually infinite levels of parallax instead of discrete steps.

I've put up a new build with the editor included, just the hit tilde (~) key when in gameplay mode to open it up. There are still sections of it not working, but it's functional for the most part if anyone is curious.

Download: http://www.owendeery.com/Welkinhold.rar

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »

So i played version from 20th and i couldn't flip horizontally parts in hangar (needed to place additional guns on the left side)

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »

So i played version from 20th and i couldn't flip horizontally parts in hangar (needed to place additional guns on the left side)

You can rotate all the parts 360 degrees (except mobility parts which are either up or down). You should be able to grab a gun mount, turn it to the desired orientation and then put it on the ship. Any weapon part should then slot onto it no matter what way it's rotated.

There's no flipping involved, unless I misunderstood.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »

So, how to rotate it? :D

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »

So, how to rotate it? :D

Right-click while dragging. There's a little icon that pops up in the lower left to indicate it, but I guess I need to make it stand out more.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2011, 11:24:41 AM »

Been very busy as of late with finishing school/finding job/finding apartment, but development is ongoing.

Switched over to a new scenemanager system recently which should help clean things up and give me better control over post-processing effects and the various framebuffers that go along with them.

In terms of eye-candy, I've added a method to rebuild destroyed rally points. It's similar to other games where a player needs to get in proximity of the rally point and wait for it to charge. To communicate this I made a slinky tube that flies out of the players ship and jacks into the rally point, filling it with fuel/energy. Once the point is rebuilt the hose will retract back into the players ship. It's hard to tell from the shot, but the tube itself is really bouncy and juicy looking.

Editor-wise I've got nav point controls up and running. You can now create rally point markers and attach them to any level object you want to act as a rally point. You can also assign a health value, priority (for a progressing chain of rally points), radius for the player to be in to rebuild the point, and what team it belongs to.

I like how whenever you switch the ship in the hangar it slaps you with a big grey wet noodle.

Me too, me too... (it's a feature)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic