Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:29:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSpace Captain McCallery Art Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Captain McCallery Art Feedback  (Read 3812 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:11:24 PM »

Hey, guys.  I'm working on a game called Space Captain McCallery Episode 3 (devLog here) and thought I'd post sprite-art I'm working on here to get feedback.

Currently, I've been working on a new sprite for the Captain, as I'm not satisfied with the one I've been using.  This is the first game in the series where the standard sprite size is 32x32 rather than 16x16, so it's been a challenge adjusting.

This is what I have so far for him:
(click for better quality)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:22:26 PM by Alec S. » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:18:13 PM »

There isn't a link to your Devlog, just thought I'd note.

The hair and ...bullets?... things on his chest are bouncing oddly out of sync.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:23:10 PM »

Thanks on both counts.  I've fixed the link and about to fix the sprite.

EDIT:

New version:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:46:19 PM by Alec S. » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:36:57 AM »

Idk, thought I did a little and now that I look at it I did a lot.  Anyway maybe this will give you ideas on how to improve him?

hi
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 04:40:49 AM »

The first major problem that I noticed with your animation is that you have one leg move while the other doesn't.  This never happens while walking and it causes your animation to look stiff and awkward.  You also had frames in where he was standing with both feet even like he was standing still.  You do not want those frames in a walk animation.  It looks like you probably drew him idle then decided to animate from that to make him walk which is okay but you cant leave the idle frame unchanged his standing frame has to go.

I first ripped out those frames that had one of the legs not move since the last frame and narrowed the animation down to 4 keyframes.  You can get really smooth animation with just 4 frames and you can always add more if you need them.

Here you can see we have just 4 frames.  for each leg there is : landed, recede, lift, and midair.  Still looks a little stiff huh? (except for that beautiful flowing hair  Wink Hand Point Right )

The next step is to add some head bounce.  I dropped the head and arms one pixel the frame right after the landing foot. This adds a little delay in between the weight of the foot hitting the ground and then the following force of his body. I also tried to add some more natural movement to his shirt.  When his leg lifts up his shirt gets pulled up on that side. (now that I think about it maybe he wasn't supposed to have a baggy shirt but that's what it looked like and its fun to animate so that's what he will have in this edit)  This also helps add definition and volume to his leg a bit I think.

Now we have the arms moving.  Each arm moves opposite its corresponding leg. I also had the arm moving back fall into more shadow giving the animation more depth. I also made his little gun thing get a bit bigger when his arm is in front and then when it receded I changed red color to a darker shade.

Finally we add in the motion of his shirt moving back and forth.  His shirt should pull forward on the side that his arm is reaching forward and recede on the side that his arm is receding.  I added in a little secondary motion by having the last button not reach its full movement forward peak until a frame after the arm is forward.  This gives it a bit of a bounce but you have to make sure you dont over-do it.

COLOR EDIT:

Just quickly editing your colors.  The skin tone could be greatly improved just by sliding the hue a bit more toward red.  This gives him a more "alive" flesh color and also matches the color palette better.  One thing that really stuck out to me was the harsh blue color mixed in with the browns and yellows.  I noticed that most of your colors were full saturation. When you want blue pants, instead of just sliding the hue to blue try desaturating some colors and try and get a nice balance of color.

Hope this helps.  I think you should keep it down to 4 frames it will save you a lot of time animating.

(I realized I forgot to animate the hair correctly.  Oh well you can figure that part out)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:14:32 AM by Nate Kling » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 07:32:26 AM »

That's awesome, I was having too much fun with waggly arms and belly fat to do it justice...

hi
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »

Damn, that's excellent!

Thanks, I'll take that all into account for the next version.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic