Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:07:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationBecause it's fun, Fay [COMPLETED]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Because it's fun, Fay [COMPLETED]  (Read 39552 times)
thewreck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 04:25:39 PM »

http://www.oxeye.se/files/stuff/redist.rar

that contains two super dlls!

try it!

ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 06:36:13 PM »

I played the game for a short while.  It seems easiest to fly around killing everything before trying to climb up with the other character.  I played the game in Linux through Wine on my laptop, so there was a little frame rate issue.  The low frames-per-second made it easy to fly and fall through walls and floors -- which I assume was not the intended behavior for the game.  On a Windows machine (or at least a more powerful machine, since I'm running on ten year old technology) this would not likely be an issue.  The graphics were good and the procedurally generated level design seemed interesting.  Like I said, I only played it for a few minutes, so I didn't have an opportunity to really get a sense of the depth of the procedurally generated levels.
shucks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 09:09:07 PM »

I wanted to try this but when I open it I just get a black screen
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 09:14:34 PM »

I would like to add that yes, Corn needs some kind of hazard that he can't deal with that Fay needs to help him with besides opening doors. Right now Fay is far too secondary. OR you can have a lot more doors. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2008, 12:47:41 AM »

I wanted to try this but when I open it I just get a black screen

Windows or Mac?

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2008, 03:30:27 AM »

Ran perfectly until the boss (love the platform mechanics btw) and then the screen just flickered uncontrollably, so much so, that I couldn't make out the boss or what to do.

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2008, 06:48:24 AM »

Ran perfectly until the boss (love the platform mechanics btw) and then the screen just flickered uncontrollably, so much so, that I couldn't make out the boss or what to do.

Hehe interesting Smiley I have no clue what kind of bug that could be... We made the game with our "prototype engine", and we haven't distributed any games like this before. If you want to try the boss fight again, you can modify main.lua to register the boss game state instead of the menu state (you'll need some cheat powerups to be able to win, though... check the code in main.lua).

Glad you enjoyed the platform mechanics Smiley

Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 04:56:34 AM »

I would like to add that yes, Corn needs some kind of hazard that he can't deal with that Fay needs to help him with besides opening doors. Right now Fay is far too secondary. OR you can have a lot more doors. Tongue

Indeed. In a full production things like field of view and maybe platforms blocking Corns projectiles combined with a more interesting level with more doors might make both Corn a bit more interesting to play and also increase Fay's importance. Also, one of the original ideas suggested that fay should be carrying a lantern or a torch, if that would be implemented we could make Corns locking on to foes dependent on Fay's light.

I like the basic concept and the characters, and would really like to develop this one further given that we can come up with a more rewarding gameplay.
In other words, more suggestions wanted!  Gentleman

Esseb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »

Oh my. The sound clips when switching between the two characters bring back memories.

Pompel? Pilt?
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »

Haha! Never seen them before!
Awesome!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 11:09:03 PM »

I think I was very close to beating the final boss of this.

I thought this was a lot of fun even in single player. I imagine it would be more so in coop, so I'll see if I have some time / buddies to play it like that.

The level generation works really well, although there were plenty of instances where I could just run past doors and where Corn could fly a long way up the tower, far ahead of Fay. That's OK though, it would work much better in coop as it frees the players up a little. I could see the door puzzles nearly being quite involved on a few occasions, but then being easier to complete than I thought they would be (usually due to vines/jump pads).

Great artwork, great sound. I realise you probably didn't have time for many effects, so I hope you do an updated version with some effects in the boss battle Smiley

oh, and curse you for suckering me into a JRPG battle! Evil

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 11:33:45 PM »

I almost defeated the final boss but the screen went black and I had an error message :sadface:

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 05:36:43 AM »

I almost defeated the final boss but the screen went black and I had an error message :sadface:

Aww... You can use the cheat I mentioned previously to make another go on the boss. Just open up main.lua and edit which game state it begins with, and give yourself some extra powerups. You also need to change the singleplayer setting (all of this is in main.lua).

Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:43 PM »

I'm unable to make it run... I get a black screen on startup. I'm running Vista, and I already copied the VC++ redist you posted.

Any other clue? Smiley

Daniel.
Ludomancy
twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2008, 05:59:02 PM »

Same as Daniel... It crashed for me too on Vista. I really want to try this game... =)
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 06:02:02 PM »

Fantastic job!  I love how the two characters operate on different axes.  I also liked the variety in sounds the characters would make while performing their actions and switching back and forth between them.  The spawning enemies made playing through solo pretty tough, but it was still fun.  I particularly liked the physics in it, especially throwing the crystals and having them bounce around.
Cheers,
--Zack
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic