Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:03:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDevLog: Wooly
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DevLog: Wooly  (Read 1713 times)
edwood_grant
Level 0

The problem with life is that there is no OST

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »

Hello everyone  :D

So we decided to get sorta serious (sorta...), and we Diana and Italo as GlitchyPixel we will be starting som sort of devlog here too  Tongue . Codename Wooly for now.

I will keep this forum post in sync with our website:
http://glitchypixel.cz.cc
And also in the DIYGamer forums.
However, since work and real life gets in the way, we will be probably updating these every now and then  Concerned (but we won't forget them of course Wink)

So well... here goes our first entry.  Smiley
------

So... how do we begin this dev log? We honestly have no idea, but we will begin at least with what are we having in mind for this project:
Wooly is about a really cute little sheep which lives in a cute little world that is being torn apart by a mysterious unknown force. And huge holes are forming around the world. The only solution for the inhabitants of this world is to close these holes by... sewing them with wool. And of course Wooly is the only one who can do it. You will have to build things with wool and create items for you to traverse all the levels and fix all the holes in Wooly's world before it gets eaten by them.

As usual, Diana will be doing all the art, and I, Italo, will be doing all of the programming in Unity 3D... however it will be a 2D game (Oh noes, the "Why you are making a 2d game in a 3d framework and waste time?" question army arrives, set the barricades!!! |||o(>.<o) ). We do have a release date (a date we put ourselves on it btw), on February 1st. The objective is to at least have some feature complete levels, and after that show them on the recent IndiePub contest and also the Unity3D Kongregate contest. Will the game be good? Who knows.. but oh well its about trying at least (n.n").

Wooly is going to be some sort of point and click game, but not on the sense of Graphic Adventure games... its more like a puzzle game, and it happens that you will use your mouse to move around.

But enough of chitchat (n_~)... lets show something... this is a screenshot directly from Unity3D.

Please ignore the horrible white box there (T-T)

What is functional in the scene right now is that you will be able to move Wooly by a left-click of the mouse. You can also pick those wool balls lying around there (Wooly makes a simple animation for it), and also you can jump to the lower hill, and also you can build an "invisible bridge (we have to make it real soon)" made of wool to go the upper hill (with another animation for Wooly creating the bridge). The backgrounds have depth and move ina parallax scroll fashion (Well, I believe so).

You can notice that Wooly has a speech bubble, she will use this speech bubble when she cannot achieve certain task and will tell you what do you need to complete it (in this case, she needs more wool to create the bridge). She is not showing anything now, so that more for us to create. The mountains are created with a custom tiling system... the 2D sprites are also created with a custom sprite system (we aren't using SpriteManager 2 if you want to now (^‐^) ).

Well, that will be all for now... we hope we can give more information and screenshots soon.

Cheers,
PS: If we have time we will put a very quick video (albeit short) of that screenshot in action.

Italo F. Capasso B. aka "Edwood Grant"
Diana E. Pacheco aka "Okuroy"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:08:12 AM by edwood_grant » Logged

Glitchy Pixel webpage
http://glitchypixel.com.co
My articles at egamers.com (spanish) here
Vengeance is cold and sweet... just like an ice cream! :D
PS: Bogotá-Colombia is in South America
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:00:40 AM »

Those quilted hills are totally excellent.
Valyou
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 04:16:26 AM »

Awesome idea. Gonna love playing this I betcha.
edwood_grant
Level 0

The problem with life is that there is no OST

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »

Hello again, here is a new installment of our little devblog.

We are both very busy on side projects (e.g. work  Cry) unfortunately, and we don't have the time we would have to make Wooly... but still we are trying to take advantage of any break we may have from our real work and real life to keep working on Wooly (^_^).

As usual, this works in parallel with our forum posts. in the Glitchy pixel official site and in DIYGamer

Well, without further due, lets begin (^.^)

------

One of the main abilities for Wooly in the game is to build bridges. This is needed to let Wooly cross places to solve new puzzles.

We were wondering for a while how it would be a good idea to implement these mechanics visually, the idea is that Wooly stands near an "unfinished bridge" and if it meets the building requirements, it will start to automatically build the bridge while Wooly executes the sewing animations.

Weird explanation for bridge (Spanish)

We decided to take the simplest approach, and although we are not sure if it may be visually attractive(we think it is cool to watch, but who knows ^_^" ). The idea is that its just a series of tiles placed one after the other, and triggered in sequence when starting to build, so the first one always begins and at a certain point triggers the next one, until it gets to the finishing line.

This is not only a good way to solve the bridge building issue, but its also good to solve many special event we want to create, like when sealing holes in the world (the objective of each level), and even creating other interesting things, like contraptions made of Wool.

The basis works greatly for other objects in the way is programmed. What object we may use? I guess that would vary according to the level we are creating. But so far so good.

Well, its Show time! ^_^
What we have here now is a small video showing the basics of Wooly, which are being able to pick up Wool balls, build bridges, and jump (whenever we want her to do it).

Diana unfortunately has been really.. REALLY busy, an cannot really work on creating new assets at the moment... so please forgive me for my "programmer art" (specifically the bridge, it looks horrible, sorry T_T).

However, she did create that flame dude over there:

If you wonder who that flame dude is... well he is just a happy flame that likes to carry a mask. Why? Well, he is not a "shy guy" by the way (~_^) . He just kinda feels prettier that way.

Hope you liked our second devlog, we hope to keep this going on, even if we have little time, we will use the best of our spare time to create this game n_n.

Italo F. Capasso B. aka "Edwood Grant"
Diana E. Pacheco aka "Okuroy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:42:45 PM by edwood_grant » Logged

Glitchy Pixel webpage
http://glitchypixel.com.co
My articles at egamers.com (spanish) here
Vengeance is cold and sweet... just like an ice cream! :D
PS: Bogotá-Colombia is in South America
Flenn
Level 0

Composer musician

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 06:09:26 AM »

Hi, I really liked your game, from the graphics to the mechanics, I would like to create its soundtrack, I leave you my previous works:
https://www.instagram.com/flen__campos/?hl=es-la
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic