Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:39:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural Generationrun and gun
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: run and gun  (Read 7435 times)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »

OK so I obviously don't have a name yet but I wanted to get a thread going to say that I'm in and keep track of my progress.  I finished the VGNG compo entry pretty easily so I think I'll be able to do this one too.

The premise is this.  I'm making a single screen platformer style run and gun (but single screen so not so much run) game.

The platforms are procedural
there are randomly/proceduraly created weapons that you get once a level
you change stats randomly/proceduraly
the enemies are placed randomly and new enemy types are created randomly/proceduraly

So yeah if anyone has a name or any suggestions that'd be awesome...
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »

Ok got collision detection and simple level building done and it works well...

You may recognize the bee from my last game Smiley

medieval
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »

Kiss
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »

You are playing a bee that has to kill baloons?

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »

no the title and bee image are both just left over.  I always just make a copy of the last game I made when making a new game and since I haven't drawn a charecter sprite yet I just used the bee.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »

added a little color... I think I need to make an algorythm to only choose bright colors though...

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 02:01:27 PM »

added a little color... I think I need to make an algorythm to only choose bright colors though...

I think it would be wiser to change the background color from pure white to something less lethal for the eyes.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »

I think it would be wiser to change the background color from pure white to something less lethal for the eyes.
well yeah I wasn't planning on leaving that in there but it's only one line of code and didn't think it mattered to much at the moment but I did change the screen to grey just for you.

Also I added in bullets... they are also different colors and it's really hard to fire lots of bullets and then take a screen shot...

they are the things in the upper left cornerish
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:57:51 PM »

you can now get different guns which are shoot different bullets which are proceduraly generated.  They also have kick which makes it cooler.

I have bad guys that bounce around and collide with stuff.

I added acceleration and friction so the movement feels a lot better.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »

This game is looking better and better. I like the way you keep us updated on all the improvements you're making.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »

This game is looking better and better. I like the way you keep us updated on all the improvements you're making.
Thanks!  It makes me so glad that someone thinks it looks fun Smiley .  I keep this updated with progress because I like keeping track of my progress that way Smiley

Anyway more fine tuning of the weapons system.  It's playable right now except I need an enemy sprite (and a player sprite but yeah...) and I need some way to make the enemies not so underpowered.  You see you can get a gun that does this...

you're flying up on the kick... oh yeah...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 12:03:25 PM by dustin » Logged
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »

ok So I'm nearing the stage where I'd like to get some feedback.  Here's the status

Graphically it sucks and looks horrible but hopefully that will get polished up when I have time

The mechanics are all done I think and I like the way they work

The level flow isn't done it's just level after level at the moment

The generation stuff all works but depending on the numbers sometimes it's much more fun then others.  This is what I need feedback on.  How to limit the generation numbers so that only the fun outcomes come out.  It would mainly mean playing and recording which setups of weapons/player movement configuration/levels you liked and which you didn't like.

Now here's what I'm wondering i can just release a demo but I feel like then people might have negative impressions of the game and not bother to play the final release which won't really be much like this release hopefully.  This is more just to test the mechanics and get my numbers right.  Because of this I would rather just have 1 or 2 people who I could email it to and they could tell me what was up.  Don't know which way you guys think is better/ if anyone is interested in doing it anyway.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »

I think the enjoyment in these games is going to come from simply experimenting with all the possibilities, so when some playthroughs aren't interesting it won't matter much.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »

ok then I guess that's what I'll hope for!

I didn't have my computer for last week so not to much work got done Sad .  I did change the graphics up a bit, fine tune some stuff, and added explosions when the bullets hit...

the explosions need to be toned down a bit as they get seriuosly crazy and you can't see what's going on at the moment.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »

Thanks!  It makes me so glad that someone thinks it looks fun Smiley .  I keep this updated with progress because I like keeping track of my progress that way Smiley

Anyway more fine tuning of the weapons system.  It's playable right now except I need an enemy sprite (and a player sprite but yeah...) and I need some way to make the enemies not so underpowered.  You see you can get a gun that does this...

you're flying up on the kick... oh yeah...

THE RAINBOW JUSTICE GUN.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 04:30:37 AM »

That explosion looks fantastic.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »

THE RAINBOW JUSTICE GUN.

Basically  yeah that's what happens when you randomly generate the color of the bullets... also as I don't have a name that's threatening to be it... possibly

Rainbow Guns of Justice?

That explosion looks fantastic.

Thanks!  I really appreciate all these comments. I don't actually think they look that great in stills like that but yeah it's all animated nicely and all.  Also they are procedurally generated!

So I have the flow of the game worked out and all implemented so from now until the end it's just a matter of polishing gameplay and graphics.  Here is how it goes down...

1.  You enter a word to generate a game
2.  this generates a gravity and friction force and a terminal velocity for this game.  These will be constant for all levels withen the game.  You then get your two starting guns which have size, density, damage, reload time, and speed all proceduraly generated.
3.  The first level is generated with pg platforms and pg placed enemies with random velocities who's health adds up to a constant.  You can jump with j shoot with k and switch guns with l.
4.  If all the enemies are defeated before you die you go to the in between stage screen where a new gun is generated for you.  You can choose any two of the three guns (the two you had in the last stage and one new one) to carry on with you to the next stage.
5.  Increase the difficulty a bit and generate a new level.
6.  When you die get your score posted along with the word that generated the whole game.  The same word will generate the same game for all people so you can share high scores for specific words.

Like I said it's pretty much all implemented but needs a lot of polish...  What do people think?  Any parts sound confusing or any thing really calling out to be added?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »

You seemed real close to getting it done. What happened? o.o

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic