Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:14:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPocket Protector - New video(Nov. 6)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Pocket Protector - New video(Nov. 6)  (Read 21702 times)
Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2011, 05:37:22 PM »

If you need another tester, I can help you!

I'm not sure I can do videos, though.

Arkthalohs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2011, 10:20:46 AM »

If you're still looking for testers, I'd be interested. I read through your whole devlog, and this game really looks interesting.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »

Update~

Sponsorship is not looking good so far.
It's been about 2 days since my game's been launched into bidding at FGL, and several big names have looked at my game and already passed it up.(including Armor Games who played my game for a whole 40 seconds, woot.)

Starting to reach the conviction that my game isn't worth any money. Not worth any money to flash games portals, at the very least.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2011, 01:42:08 PM »

Congratulations on finishing. so what are your mains plans for this? sell it to flash portals? transfer it to mobile? perhaps add microtransactions?

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »

Trying to license it to Flash portals. Currently going with FGL for trying to do that.
The game is a bit too hardware intense to work well on mobile right now.(via flash on mobile, that is) That said, it's *almost* touch-screen capable to play. Not interested in microtransactions for this game. It wasn't designed with those in mind, so unless I changed the game quite a bit they'd just feel gimmicky.(more then they already tend to be.)

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »

Hey man if its only been two days do't give up. Even FGL says wait a month before assuming you're not going to get sponsorship.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2011, 08:08:52 AM »

Have you talked about it anywhere? perhaps making a site locked specific copy and sending it out to flash review sites, telling them you are waiting for a liscence and then it will be out for everyone to play. I want to say I saw something similar with Fishbane, but do not quote me on it.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »

Pocket has been released! Smiley

Topic in Announcement forum

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »

POCKET PROTECTOR IS BACK IN DEVELOPMENT, BOYS.

Details here

sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2011, 10:06:44 PM »

Y U TROLLFACE TIGSOURCE
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2011, 11:21:27 PM »

Because everyone who thought this game would stay untouched for the remainder of time just got TROLLED.

Anywho, it's time for a....
TIGSource Specific Dev Post, because I can.

Some of my most prominent goals for this revamped version are to:
-Address both the greater and lesser criticisms of my game
-Develop the game's story and world
-Deepen the gameplay experience
-Rework enemy AI and cave generation
-Flesh out the Pocket(a lot)

I'll elaborate more on these points as time goes on. Today I'll start with how I plan on addressing some of the criticisms for my game. Many criticisms are covered in my latter goals, so I'll just be talking about the ones I'm addressing that don't fit anywhere else.

One of the biggest criticisms I had for my game was that it wasn't exactly.. Easy to get into? Be it difficulty or simply figuring out what to do and how to do it. Sure, I didn't want to hold the player's hand, but I think I can have my cake and eat it too in this case. The revamp will have a tutorial proper and a more streamlined introduction to the game. Furthermore, I've already redone all the UI to be much more friendly and intuitive.

And the UI feeds into my next point! I'm changing not just the UI, but all the HUDs entirely. Everyone was pretty much CORRECT in saying my previous HUD seriously needed a makeover. It shall be! Also, textbox pop-ups are being done away with in favor of a more traditional textbox-style system. I'll touch on that more when I talk about later goals. Oh, yeah, and did I mention that all menus are navigable by keyboard now? it's about time amirite?(mouse still works, too)

I also can't believe I left the hats so damn expensive! I'll be readjusting the prices on all of those to make them humanly obtainable. Maybe I'll add more hats, too?  Wink More on that later.

note: colors are in no way final.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »

Update

- HUD redesign
- Redone tileset(still working on it)
- Finished various GUI menus, but thats boring
- Improved and polished the cave generation a crapton.(I'll elaborate on that some other time)
- Added textboxes for 1337% improved NPC interaction
- Added a new spell
- Redid various particle effects
- Myriads of coins explode from your enemy's corpse upon mortification
- Implemented a proper inventory
- Began redoing some enemy AI, have just barely scratched the surface

Will post a screenshot or video(video is likely) soon enough.

sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »

Nice! Keep it up jack! Does the HUD redesign refer to the last screenshot? Or has that been worked on too?

Also, Cladun gave you some good ideas, huh? haha
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »

That options menu has been worked on!

But I was referring to the HUD which shows things like health, magic, shield, minimap, etc.

New screenshot(and like I said, a video is likely) is coming when I finish the HUD and new tileset enough that they're in a presentable state.

AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »

Love the particle effects and general heft of the trailer on the first post. I think I'm going to be watching this devlog :D

kukouri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »

I'm such a sucker for pixel graphics. I'd play that game on it's art style alone.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2011, 11:53:51 PM »

Thanks guys! Smiley

Alright, so-- it's time to ante up and place all of my cards on the table. I could really use some money right about now--college is right around the corner, and student debt is a seriously scary world to live in. So I'm thinking to sell this revamped version of Pocket.

Things to keep in mind:
1) the game will have much, much, much more content to eat up than the current online version. If you've read my previous devlog posts you'll see that the game is going to transform quite significantly!
2) that said, it's way too much for me to try to match the kind of experience you get in a game like Zenonia or Mage Gauntlet, both of which are only a few dollars.
3) if I were to sell the game I'd like to sell at $1.99
4) if I get a good response to the idea of selling my game I'll raise my standards higher in terms of content and production value to insure you're getting your money's worth(to the best of my ability)
5) a general bad response to the idea means the game will not be sold; ultimately game dev, for me, is not just about the money.
6) it will have no DRM
7) if you donate $1.99 or more(I have a donation thing on my website) to me I'll count it as a preorder. Prerelease demos are a possibility.

I've thought a lot about this guys, so please give me your honest opinions so that I can make the best decision for going forward. Either way I plan on making this game rock! Oh and I'm very open to suggestions on things to do in the case that you are in favor of buying my game.

Thanks everyone,
Cheers.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »

Don't want to wait any longer to throw a screenshot out there, so here!

This is a glimpse of the new tileset. Right now I'm mostly just playing with shapes and color combinations. Transition tiles between dirt, grass, water, etc. are coming next. I still have to finish the HUD, which is why it's invisible in this screenshot. Once the HUD and tileset are done I'll be making a devlog video!

sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2011, 12:39:26 AM »

oh my god this looks way better already. i know you're not increasing texture detail, but more touches manes more character, which this is showing.

excellent! I'm looking forward to the final product Smiley
kukouri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2011, 03:19:18 AM »

Any chance of getting an animation preview?  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic