Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:36:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7280185 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21020 on: January 15, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »

Better! Hand Thumbs Up Left
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21021 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »

New to the forum, though I passed it by before. I'm actually hesitant to post my own work (anywhere) due to paranoia over it being stolen. But it isn't fair that I take advantage of a community without being a part of it, and besides, it seems close-knit!

Sidenote: If anyone has ideas about image protection to toss my way, I'd be grateful. I'm clueless.

Here's a set of animations for walking I revised this week.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:05:29 PM by Ridley » Logged
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21022 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »

GAHHHH!!! It's pillow shaded... Anyways to be more helpful try choosing a direction the light source is coming from and adjust you're shading. http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=225

The animation is good though.
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21023 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

It isn't. Well, maybe the hair is inverted pillow shading? But look at the arms, legs, head, and feet.

The reason the torso may strike you as pillow-shadery is because I used the second-lightest of the three shades to taper the color on the near edge in an attempt to make it appear less flat. The shading is slightly heavier on the far side, and when it isn't, that's because his arm is casting a shadow on the body.

It's a one-pixel margin and indeed looks off. I'll change it and come back with the edit.

EDIT: Clarification: The light source is the imaginary horizon on the right (east).
ink.inc
« Reply #21024 on: January 15, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »

no it's pillow shaded

try to treat your drawings as 3d models that exist in a 3d world; shading then just becomes a series of processes that you apply to your character

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

I'm actually hesitant to post my own work (anywhere) due to paranoia over it being stolen

a fear mostly unwarranted. don't be afraid to post your work; learning through critique is the fastest way to improve.
anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21025 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »

Started a tileset, I'm still very new to pixel art Embarrassed

poe
« Reply #21026 on: January 15, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »

I like it Smiley
Slow
Level 1

chirp

View Profile
« Reply #21027 on: January 15, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »

The contrast between shades is really low and the colors look really lowly saturated(?). But I like it regardless. It would look a lot better if you fixed your colors though.
jiitype
« Reply #21028 on: January 15, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »

The colors could be a bit more darker, but looks good!

PlantMonster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21029 on: January 15, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »

It looks good, but to me... it looks like some sort of rodent. This is probably due to the difference in color from the main body and the legs. I think most dogs have hair the same color on their legs as on the rest of their body. Rats and mice, however, have little or no hair on their hands/legs. So yeah, this looks more like a rodent than anything else.
Thanks for the feedback, I've tweaked it to make it a little more dog like. Will use reference next time Tongue!

Nice tutorial.
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21030 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »

thing for a person
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21031 on: January 15, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »

With only the vaguest notion of what to fix, I set back to the template and did this with the forward-perspective one:

After a few ill attempts at texturing under the color palette constraints I made for myself, I decided to leave the dark in on the hair for the most part, although I adjoined it with the dark side and touched up the highlights, to make them directional. It communicates a thickness/central mass towards the center, and without looks decidedly flat. As for the torso, I did little but alter the shape of the shadow. Overall I made my shading less incremental, for less pillowed impressions.

EDIT: There was a duplicate of his torso in some frame. It's fixed now.

If there's any constructive criticism to be had, please tell me specifically what I should look at changing, or if I should do the rest over in a similar fashion.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:30:09 PM by Ridley » Logged
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21032 on: January 15, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »

The contrast between shades is really low and the colors look really lowly saturated(?). But I like it regardless. It would look a lot better if you fixed your colors though.

Yes, desaturated. Choose a color palette with richer, complimentary tones for the most contrast, and to make them stand out for an illusion of depth between the top of the incline and the bottom. I'd try darker, red-stained rocks and lush greens--and also a more high-contrast texture for the grass, so that it doesn't blend as easily. Splashes of deeper green running through, or a bit of noise to make the grass look rough.

But you're texturing is pretty brilliant on those rocks. Well done.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21033 on: January 15, 2013, 11:11:46 PM »

With only the vaguest notion of what to fix, I set back to the template and did this with the forward-perspective one:
If there's any constructive criticism to be had, please tell me specifically what I should look at changing, or if I should do the rest over in a similar fashion.
I'd work more on my pixel technique before doing over anything - there are a lot of issues that could use fixing, namely the misuse of black outlines, the nonsense/blobby shading on the hair, the poor silhouette and the banded colours.

Sorry for being blunt.

Here's an edit, took 15min of my time - plus yours on the right. Was not a forgiving base to work from I'm afraid :/

Slightly less boring colours - more reds and yellows in the light colours, more blues and purples in the darks. Simple trick that increases the interest of a piece, as it makes it seem like it's not in monochromatic light. Working on a grey background helps keep your art versatile, so it will work in any setting.
Less "scribble then fill then colour aimlessly" hair - think about how hair falls.
Face with more emotive possibilities - less huge eyes, added eyebrow and mouth so you can show emotion properly. My dude looks a little worried, rather than just "blank".
Detail increase overall - try to describe the micro-detail of shapes as well as just the vague shape - hands have fingers, shirts have seams, etc.

This should give you something to work on.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21034 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:37 PM »

thing for a person

I want eat your style.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21035 on: January 16, 2013, 05:56:59 AM »

thing for a person
loving it

anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21036 on: January 16, 2013, 05:58:04 AM »

Changed the colors, redid the grass to be more leafy.
You were right about contrast, thanks for the feedback.
I want to keep it low for the grass though, so player sprites will pop out better.

Also, I am addicted now...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:05:53 AM by anselm_eickhoff » Logged
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21037 on: January 16, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »

It's better, although the contrast still seems pretty low to my eye. Perhaps try darkening the ground a bit more?

egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21038 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »

*snip*

It still needs more contrast between different parts.
You can also try applying different colors/contrast to each "floor" or ground layer, to give them more depth.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21039 on: January 16, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »

Both of these are very bright and washed out. I feel your screen isn't very well calibrated if they seem right to you.

The cliffs themselves are pretty nice for someone new to the thing. The grass might be a bit too detailed especially when you increase the contrast.

Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic