Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:31:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7238030 times)
Kazuyo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21500 on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:39 AM »

@Sajextryus

Use more contrast for heroes, because they must attract more attention than background. when all colors are so desaturated, you can really see what is on foreground, because it's mix with background.

@Anty
Dobra robota, jest o lepiej. Twarz dalej jakoś mi nie pasuje, ale to może tylko moje subiektywne odczucie.
//Good job, it's better. Face still doesn't fit for me, but maybe it's just mine subjective feeling.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21501 on: February 19, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »

thanks, last fix (didn't work on the face, no ideas how to change it)

it's very odd that the subject being illuminated is brighter than the light source. i would get rid of the outline around the flame too
yea, tried to fix it:

geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21502 on: February 19, 2013, 06:36:01 AM »

@Sajextryus
Firstly i really like the character designs! And the co-op exploration sounds cool. However i agree that the tiles are a bit too desaturated. I see Kazuyo already did a good edit, but i thought i'd do another quick one more inkeeping with your current style.

I changed the colours on the tiles. I did a bit of hue shifting, cause i noticed you were using a straight ramp, now not necessarily a bad thing but hue shifting can help add some more 'atmosphere' (not sure if right word) to shadows and highlights.
I also changed the colours on the characters slightly in the same way. And removed a few as there were some used for only a single pixel and the gradient-esque looking bits, this is just personal taste though, yours looked fine.
Also i realise you said the tiles were old and you're redoing them, but hope this can help with something anyway, although i'm not that good so it might look crap Wink.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:12:05 AM by geepit » Logged
ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21503 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:56 PM »

@SolarLune
Thank you very much for the criticism and compliments! I'll try and see what I can do with the animation and see how it looks with the arm moving out. And I've been working on some new tiles lately, so I'll keep this in mind, though I have found myself using a lot of darker, more saturated colors in areas lately.

@Kazuyo
Thank you for the critical tip! Your image really helped illustrate the concept you were explaining about making the foreground characters pop out from the background. While I probably won't go that extreme in coloring and styling, I have considered in the past upping the saturation of the characters slightly to make them pop out noticeably more without them looking noticeably different, and will probably do so now that I know that could really help.

@geepit
Thanks for the compliments and criticism! I'm honestly surprised I used only one hue for all those colors, since I often avoid doing that. Then again, it is a little old, so my habits and techniques probably changed since then. The modified image looks good, and the character coloring looks very nice while it's using fewer, slightly more saturated colors and really helps define the style a bit more by using less complex shading. I'll really be considering trying these colors out or finding other saturated colors that'll work, and maybe even see how it looks with the spinning animations.

I've also been working on tiles a lot lately, but the only tiles I've gotten done that I feel okay with so far are these water tiles:
4x2 (16x16) tiles
(the grass at the bottom might be changed to have simpler coloring, and I've made several different grass designs already, most of them simple and one color per blade with two colors total, but it looked too much like it should be moving and/or interactive, and there were a lot of empty gaps to allow them to not all be going just straight up and that made it feel a little awkward in itself)
I'll probably make it darker or transparent with a background to match it up with an environment, though.

I'm still trying to make some grass/dirt/ground tiles, but I keep thinking that it really isn't matching the style or that there's too much dirt or too much grass or some other excuse. I've been considering maybe figuring out a new way of designing grass tiles that's different from any that I've seen before, but I keep thinking that that's not where I need to be going with this and that it may just be a bit of an issue with coloring and that I've come across usable structures/designs for it in the past (be it mine or seen somewhere else). I might post some of the ones I've made, but I barely have any of the rejects saved, and the ones I do I saved in case I wanted to use them for other projects in the future or something. For now, I'll try figuring out what other tiles I can use that I might be able to get designed now.

The game's taking place in a large, open forested area with swamps and trees and caves and a mountain and all sorts of cool stuff, since I was much more interested in making that kind of an environment and have many ideas to make it neat and atmospheric.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:41:08 AM by Sajextryus » Logged

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21504 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »

ZAAAAAAAP

Obviously, I'm rusty. Anyone care to critique?

twingloxx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21505 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »

@Josiah: really like it!

Been working on this for a while. Part of a larger piece originally, will return to it eventually.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #21506 on: February 19, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »

I don't like the gradients, nice shape though.

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21507 on: February 20, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »

gradients normally make anything look bad but that silhouette is so good I'd love to see this with some different colors. also the waterfall is a nice touch  Wink

ClayB
« Reply #21508 on: February 20, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »

Been working on this for a while. Part of a larger piece originally, will return to it eventually.

I love this, the way you use the gradients to convey depth is really unique.
Ant
« Reply #21509 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:05 AM »

sweet bejesus Hand Thumbs Up Right
Strife
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21510 on: February 20, 2013, 03:35:20 AM »

I love this, the way you use the gradients to convey depth is really unique.

I agree, that is simply gorgeous. Best use of gradients I've seen in a long time.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21511 on: February 20, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »

i can see some sort of mind bending mc escher puzzle game could be made using that tri pixel style.
How about a Zelda style platformer with gravity changes.
One minute you're jumping about like normal then you switch the gravity and now you're walking on rock being careful not to fall off sheer grass cliff faces.

I can imagine that being a programming nightmare...
So basically, Necker Cube: The Game?
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21512 on: February 20, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »

retro city rampage inspired

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21513 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »

I would live there. Very nice.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21514 on: February 20, 2013, 12:36:07 PM »

I normally don't like gradients in pixel art but I must say it works really well in this piece.

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21515 on: February 20, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

These are two characters for a game I'm working on, which I made with a lot of help from Muzz Gentleman.

I'm not sure if I should start a devlog, what do you guys think?

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21516 on: February 20, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »

From a simple one-button game I started working on yesterday.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #21517 on: February 20, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »

I find the dithering in the sky very distracting. The rocket looks nice though.

EDIT: Also, those tiny cars are super cute.

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21518 on: February 20, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »

Finished this recently

fuck, simply beautiful

Messing around in class

twingloxx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21519 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

@Armageddon @TNERB @ClayB @Strife @Panurge @ev149: Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic