Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:43:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1137 1138 [1139] 1140 1141 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7235990 times)
Blambo
« Reply #22760 on: May 19, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »

Which is the least shitty/usable?
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22761 on: May 19, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »

Not exactly pixel art, but here are some sprite designs I'm working on for a beat-em-up game idea I have.

this last one is a simple combo string that ends with an energy blast I have yet to add (along with the lighting/shadows).
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22762 on: May 19, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »

The second and eighth sets catch my eye best. It must be those highlights/accents on the tops of the bricks contrasted with the darker colors.
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22763 on: May 19, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »

The least usable one? That would be either bottom rightmost sets. Overuse of black makes it hard to tell wall from floor.

But I like the darker walls with the bluer floors, or the brighter walls with the grayer floor. 8th, or 9th.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22764 on: May 20, 2013, 05:44:01 AM »

Not exactly pixel art, but here are some sprite designs I'm working on for a beat-em-up game idea I have.
[...]
this last one is a simple combo string that ends with an energy blast I have yet to add (along with the lighting/shadows).
Those are pretty cool, but this thread is for pixel art. There are other more suitable art threads you could post them in.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22765 on: May 20, 2013, 06:37:41 AM »

just realized I never posted here my glorious animations

shao
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22766 on: May 20, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »

just realized I never posted here my glorious animations

Its good!.

Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22767 on: May 20, 2013, 07:46:46 AM »

[...]
Those are pretty cool, but this thread is for pixel art. There are other more suitable art threads you could post them in.

Ah, sorry. I didn't know there were other threads.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22768 on: May 20, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »

do not fret sir, you can find such a such o'er yonder

RopeDrink
Level 0

Practice...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22769 on: May 20, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »

I keep seeing everyone with their really small pixel works of characters and try as I might I simply cannot do anything that looks decent. Doodled this but it clearly sucks.

I'm desperately trying to get better so I can create a character for a game but no matter what I do, big or small, I just can't make anything decent.
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22770 on: May 20, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »

I keep seeing everyone with their really small pixel works of characters and try as I might I simply cannot do anything that looks decent. Doodled this but it clearly sucks.

I'm desperately trying to get better so I can create a character for a game but no matter what I do, big or small, I just can't make anything decent.

The first thing you have to do is stop telling yourself it sucks. Whether you believe you can or you can't do something, you're right.

The second thing you need to do is come up with a plan. What exactly is it you're trying to design? Platformer? RPG? I'd say find a game you like and try to emulate that style as best you can, by hand first, and then take it to pixels.
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22771 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »

RopeDrink
Level 0

Practice...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22772 on: May 20, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »

The first thing you have to do is stop telling yourself it sucks. Whether you believe you can or you can't do something, you're right.

The second thing you need to do is come up with a plan. What exactly is it you're trying to design? Platformer? RPG? I'd say find a game you like and try to emulate that style as best you can, by hand first, and then take it to pixels.

I have a plan set out, game wise, but I won't get it started unless I can get my hands on some characters - Sadly there's nothing free out there that is useable for what I have in mind so I have to try my hand as a newb to design two characters myself. I've tried large pixel art and tiny pixel art and on every occasion nothing seemed to fit, or at least click in my head where something I'm drawing sticks out as something I feel like I should run with.

I'm trying as much as I can but nothing seems to really work so far, so I get disappointed and scrap my stuff.

I've only managed to half do those two drawings I've linked and neither is useful to me in the end.

For the record I'm aiming to make a game along the lines of Lone Survivor - Less story based, more adventure/horror/survival so I need at the very least, a protaganist, an antagonist and to design the world itself. So far, 0% progress because I can't seem to find an art style I can draw consistently & satisfactory.

Aside from the above miniature pixel thing, this was the only thing I completed:

This was just to practice in general but ultimately it's far too large.

I've gone to the very start of this Thread and checked every single page (up to 175 so far, still going through them, there's over 1500 of them in total to get through) and many pictures I've seen from other people have given some inspiration but try as I might, I can't seem to do something from my own hands that I'd be happy to work with.

I'll keep trying but as long as this stays frustrating and I make no progress, I won't shy away from calling myself garbage at pixel art.
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22773 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05:14 PM »

I have a plan set out, game wise, but I won't get it started unless I can get my hands on some characters - Sadly there's nothing free out there that is useable for what I have in mind so I have to try my hand as a newb to design two characters myself. I've tried large pixel art and tiny pixel art and on every occasion nothing seemed to fit, or at least click in my head where something I'm drawing sticks out as something I feel like I should run with.

I'm trying as much as I can but nothing seems to really work so far, so I get disappointed and scrap my stuff.

I've only managed to half do those two drawings I've linked and neither is useful to me in the end.

For the record I'm aiming to make a game along the lines of Lone Survivor - Less story based, more adventure/horror/survival so I need at the very least, a protaganist, an antagonist and to design the world itself. So far, 0% progress because I can't seem to find an art style I can draw consistently & satisfactory.

Aside from the above miniature pixel thing, this was the only thing I completed:

This was just to practice in general but ultimately it's far too large.

I've gone to the very start of this Thread and checked every single page (up to 175 so far, still going through them, there's over 1500 of them in total to get through) and many pictures I've seen from other people have given some inspiration but try as I might, I can't seem to do something from my own hands that I'd be happy to work with.

I'll keep trying but as long as this stays frustrating and I make no progress, I won't shy away from calling myself garbage at pixel art.

You have a perfectionism problem. If you have the game idea in mind, why not start with some basic placeholder assets to test out the gameplay? Never mind art style right now, focus on logic and interactivity. You can always replace the assets later or enlist an artist if you show your engine has promise. Borrow some sprites from somewhere, even if they don't suit your vision, just to get something interactive moving. It may sound dull, but game design isn't all about art--which is something I really need to learn myself (I have the opposite problem--I'm fine with art direction but settling upon a gameplay approach is stifling me).

Mind you, I'm not exactly speaking from experience (I've only made one game in my entire life and it's total simplistic garbage), but rather from what I've gleaned from several game design-centric books and courses. One thing I know about game design is that it's better to get something interactive going and worry about art later, unless you can do it all at once
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #22774 on: May 20, 2013, 03:15:03 PM »

:3

RopeDrink
Level 0

Practice...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22775 on: May 20, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »

It's true, if I'm not satisfied with my own work it gets canned pretty quickly. I won't pretend like I don't give it a proper effort, but I get disheartened if things aren't going somewhat smoothly.

I don't go about placeholders etc first because I tend to make games with TGF, so I'm aware of it's limitations and acceptable game-styles enough to know I could make the game I have in mind work and wouldn't benefit much from making a placeholder/template first - However, to get the ball rolling I want to get a character animated in some kind of world - What gets me smack bang into the creative process hardcore is when I have my resources together and can then get to the meaty work - Anything before that I find frustrating, moreso if I'm making it myself as I spend too much time making things that I simply will not use, might even lose the drive to make the game entirely if this happens long enough.

Again, I've seen a lot of influential pieces of work from others here (Hence I signed up to the site in the first place) and it's giving me some helpful ideas to try out in Photoshop but I'm no pixel artists and unless I create some kind of satisfactory character soon I might pull my hair out No No NO
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #22776 on: May 20, 2013, 03:22:36 PM »

Is this for Echro?

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22777 on: May 20, 2013, 03:26:16 PM »

@RopeDrink - make a workshop thread, listen to people's feedback, and put in the time to get better. easy peasy

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #22778 on: May 20, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »

I'm brand new to animation. Feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22779 on: May 20, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »

From the looks of it: no reference

it's like you just winged it
haha
oh man

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 1137 1138 [1139] 1140 1141 ... 1637
Print