Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:17:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1469 1470 [1471] 1472 1473 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7291136 times)
SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29400 on: April 19, 2015, 07:47:33 PM »

Another vine... https://vine.co/v/ezlqlUdA5mW

Conker
« Reply #29401 on: April 19, 2015, 08:25:17 PM »

dead space high school
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:32:30 PM by Conker » Logged
tinyDino
Level 1

Rawr

View Profile
« Reply #29402 on: April 19, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »

***Offtopic ALERT***

I've been pixeling On and Off from a long time and to be honest.. I still suck and can't even make a decent static sprite. One of the reason is the tool,I don't really like GraphicsGale and work flow is really slow. Which tool has the fastest work flow in general ( equally good for tilemap, character animation)?

I've posted on this thread a few times and all of that work is done in MS Paint. I'm far from being a pro but if you put the time in you can at least get the job done and get something that your happy with.
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29403 on: April 20, 2015, 03:29:19 AM »

I still suck

One of the reason is the tool
the reason is you're blaming the tool.

study up, push yourself, experiment, work at it. i use graphics gale, i have friends who use mspaint, photoshop, etc. no one credits any program for why theyre as good or bad as they are. it's all you.

Well the laziness got over me.. Anyway would you share your work flow? Do you first sketch a character or just directly start pixeling?

***Offtopic ALERT***

I've been pixeling On and Off from a long time and to be honest.. I still suck and can't even make a decent static sprite. One of the reason is the tool,I don't really like GraphicsGale and work flow is really slow. Which tool has the fastest work flow in general ( equally good for tilemap, character animation)?

I've posted on this thread a few times and all of that work is done in MS Paint. I'm far from being a pro but if you put the time in you can at least get the job done and get something that your happy with.

I am probably gonna put some time into pixeling from now on.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29404 on: April 20, 2015, 04:46:42 AM »

I use GIMP.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #29405 on: April 20, 2015, 07:39:12 AM »

Ms paint and Photoshop combo for me..
Conker
« Reply #29406 on: April 20, 2015, 08:30:26 AM »

paint tool sai for me
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29407 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:11 AM »

The choice of tool doesn't really matter for simple things. Practice is much more important.

However, if you're doing something more time-consuming, such as animations or tiled graphics, the right tool can save a lot of work and lead to a more polished result. It still won't do the work for you, but it can help you stay sane while working on ambitious projects.

I also use indexed palette management for palette swaps (and occasionally hiding secrets), something you don't have in an editor like MS Paint.

A quick doodle with mirroring. Drawn in Pro Motion.

A rock tile repost. You can draw tiles this way in various editors, such as Pro Motion, Grafx2, Aseprite and Pyxel Edit.

As far as workflow goes, sometimes I use pencil sketches since I'm more comfortable drawing on paper. For that I use a combination of Photoshop and Pro Motion. These images show the different steps. Pencil sketch, traced over with a 1-pixel line, shaded in grayscale and then colored and tweaked.

I draw pixel art from scratch most of the time, though.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29408 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »

Those are some lovely pixels you pushed there Arachne. Beautiful.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #29409 on: April 20, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »

@arachne
 Epileptic

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29410 on: April 20, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »

mahn, are there any free options for index painting? I see all those twitter kids getting sick dithering while i need to put each pixel manually Giggle
Shawny
Level 5

<3

View Profile
« Reply #29411 on: April 20, 2015, 01:51:11 PM »

I still suck

One of the reason is the tool
the reason is you're blaming the tool.

study up, push yourself, experiment, work at it. i use graphics gale, i have friends who use mspaint, photoshop, etc. no one credits any program for why theyre as good or bad as they are. it's all you.

Well the laziness got over me.. Anyway would you share your work flow? Do you first sketch a character or just directly start pixeling?

my process is essentially just blocking colours, line art, do the entire rest, finishing touches.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29412 on: April 20, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »

My workflow and speed increased many times over once I learned the keyboard shortcuts.

I use pyxeledit.

Ellian
Level 0

Procrastinator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29413 on: April 20, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »

Personally, I do lineart/sketch first, then fill with main color, then apply shading.

Also a day late, but I made Shantae for the @Pixel_Dailies on twitter!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #29414 on: April 20, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »

great shantae! it's the original!

DifferentName
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29415 on: April 21, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »

I don't have much experience with pixel art, so to get started, I traced over some sprites from FFVI and FFT:

Here are a couple of attempts after browsing more recent pixel art.

I'll have to practice a while to figure out my style for pixel art.

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #29416 on: April 21, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »

one of the biggest mistakes you can make as a new artist is trying to nail down a unique style before actually learning the basics of art in general
DifferentName
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29417 on: April 21, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »

I imagine experience drawing, animating, and nitpicking over tiny digital details will be a good foundation for diving into pixel art. But I definitely have some things to learn about pixel art, so I'm trying out different styles and resolutions to see what feels right for me. The long thin limbs fits my drawing style more, so it feels more natural to me than the old Final Fantasy stuff.

Here's another version of the last one, with about twice the resolution.

Conker
« Reply #29418 on: April 21, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »

one of the biggest mistakes you can make as a new artist is trying to nail down a unique style before actually learning the basics of art in general

this is what i did as a new artist

i cant say i regret it but i really wish i realized the importance of studying art, would of been neat to start studying earlier
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29419 on: April 21, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

But I definitely have some things to learn about pixel art, so I'm trying out different styles and resolutions to see what feels right for me.

There is hardly anything to learn that is pixel art specific. Avoiding banding and jagged lines are the only two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Having a solid art foundation is much more important. Everything that will make you a better artist will by extension make you a better pixel artist.

I say this from experience as someone who made the same mistake.

Pages: 1 ... 1469 1470 [1471] 1472 1473 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic