Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:21:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1520 1521 [1522] 1523 1524 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7290509 times)
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30420 on: November 20, 2015, 09:19:37 PM »

Found an old sprite and decided to fix it up a bit.

Left is new, right is not.

gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #30421 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:54 PM »

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30422 on: November 21, 2015, 01:13:17 AM »

BBreakfast: Much better!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30423 on: November 21, 2015, 07:49:30 AM »

Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30424 on: November 21, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »

At early stages of development. Looking for some c/c. (:
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30425 on: November 21, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »

bbreakfast:

i tried to go pixelation-style edit mode on the tree (it's hard to explain some concepts without actually trying it myself)

basically i think you've got some pillow shading going on. It's still good, but it has the pillow-shadiness where the darkest shade acts as outline about everywhere inside the objects and the brightest shade also shows up about everywhere on the object.

the light values still trend towards the lit side, and the dark values trend towards the unlit sides, but I wanted more of that.

the first thing I tried was the dead tree without leaves. in a nutshell, i just removed all the highlights from the shadowed areas. I then removed all the dark outlines in the middle of the lit parts. I actually recommend this a lot! Because pixels are so large in comparison to what you're trying to paint with them, a big black line in the middle of highlights reads as a very deep shadow.

this turns contraproductive when we're trying to convey the large cylinder shape of the tree, thus the dark lines mostly show up in the areas that bridge the lit and shadowed areas.

also not the thick area of pure dark pixels to the right of the tree. this is also to convey the larger cylindrical nature of the trunk. when there's shadow and light evenly distributed across the trunk, the eye will read it as flat, especially with so much detail inside.

i also put more pixels into the highlights!

onwards; i also tried to redraw the foliage of the beleaved tree. Again, i find that the tree is shaded in a way reminiscent of cotton. I tried to think about how to convey the double nature of leaves; their clusters form round shapes that reflect light as such, but leaves also have sharp edges and i find that one of the significant traits of foliage is the sharp contrast between ligth and shadow.

these are kind of at odds with each other, and as i don't intend to entirely redraw the tree, i ended up with something messy, that still somewhat conveys what i had on my mind. Anyhow, i think it's important with leaves to not always bridge between the lightest and darkest shade with a full ramp: i think it makes the leaves look too smooth and cotton:y. having areas of large contrast is important. I mean, disregard all this is you enjoy the cotton-like miniature feel of what you've already got: it looks very good regardless C:

please ask if you have any questions! also I know that some people don't appreciate paint-over edits, so please just tell me what you think. Cheers.
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30426 on: November 21, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »

Wow Jad, thank you SO much for taking the time for all that! The paintover is super helpful. I wasn't able to see what you guys meant by the pillow shading before, but now it's a glaring issue all over the canvas.  Facepalm

I am going to spend some time working on the shading of the objects and I'll be back later with a reworked mockup.

In the meantime, here's a lil' sprite I made for Vidar.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #30427 on: November 21, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »

that's great!

Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30428 on: November 21, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »

Mattie, the crates in your scene have some depth to them but the rest of the scene is flat, viewed from a pure side view.

The inside of the windows is dark but it's a single wall with nothing behind it, shouldn't the windows show through the sky?

Also there's this classic blown up/damaged look to the building where you just kind of carve some arbitrary shape out of whatever is damaged, and I see a lot of people do it, but you really should be considering the structure and internals of whatever it is that's damaged. It's really hard to explain specifically why/how a wall would crumble in some specific way so I thought it would be best explained visually:

Also a real world reference: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bwride/media/urban_weathering9.jpg.html

As a final point it's kind of odd how there's this single damaged wall but no rubble or other structure, it's kind of like a house fell down and they cleared up all the rubble but then were like "you know what I like this wall, let's just leave that". But I can understand that it would be a lot more work, although it would add a lot of depth.
Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30429 on: November 21, 2015, 10:27:10 PM »

Thank you so much for the feedback and the edit Lee, it was super helpful!

I thought I was going to make a wall to the back to add a little depth, but the window on your edit looks cool so I think I'll dump that idea. I'm definitely going to make a lot's of rubble on the ground and some serious variations to the tiles.  Smiley
Alex N.
Level 1

game dev!? so you play all day?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30430 on: November 22, 2015, 10:41:56 AM »

Hey folks, here is mock up I did for an imaginary adventure game that might just become a real one. What do you think?

HOW>>!? I am working on a resembling project, hope to god it won't be the same story Concerned
Well done so far and to be fair I really hope we will go head to head on green light. Hopefully I won't leave this project hanging like few others...hmm
DON'T BACK UP!  Toast Right
Prepare yourself for when I will post some screen shots there will be another Schoq with "Coincidence?"  Giggle

2D Artist & Animator - https://www.behance.net/AlexNae

I used to be here often:
The Underground King  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60979
Game Of Foot  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58338.0
Alex N.
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30431 on: November 22, 2015, 10:46:40 AM »

bbreakfast:

i tried to go pixelation-style edit mode on the tree (it's hard to explain some concepts without actually trying it myself)

basically i think you've got some pillow shading going on. It's still good, but it has the pillow-shadiness where the darkest shade acts as outline about everywhere inside the objects and the brightest shade also shows up about everywhere on the object.

the light values still trend towards the lit side, and the dark values trend towards the unlit sides, but I wanted more of that.

the first thing I tried was the dead tree without leaves. in a nutshell, i just removed all the highlights from the shadowed areas. I then removed all the dark outlines in the middle of the lit parts. I actually recommend this a lot! Because pixels are so large in comparison to what you're trying to paint with them, a big black line in the middle of highlights reads as a very deep shadow.

this turns contraproductive when we're trying to convey the large cylinder shape of the tree, thus the dark lines mostly show up in the areas that bridge the lit and shadowed areas.

also not the thick area of pure dark pixels to the right of the tree. this is also to convey the larger cylindrical nature of the trunk. when there's shadow and light evenly distributed across the trunk, the eye will read it as flat, especially with so much detail inside.

i also put more pixels into the highlights!

onwards; i also tried to redraw the foliage of the beleaved tree. Again, i find that the tree is shaded in a way reminiscent of cotton. I tried to think about how to convey the double nature of leaves; their clusters form round shapes that reflect light as such, but leaves also have sharp edges and i find that one of the significant traits of foliage is the sharp contrast between ligth and shadow.

these are kind of at odds with each other, and as i don't intend to entirely redraw the tree, i ended up with something messy, that still somewhat conveys what i had on my mind. Anyhow, i think it's important with leaves to not always bridge between the lightest and darkest shade with a full ramp: i think it makes the leaves look too smooth and cotton:y. having areas of large contrast is important. I mean, disregard all this is you enjoy the cotton-like miniature feel of what you've already got: it looks very good regardless C:

please ask if you have any questions! also I know that some people don't appreciate paint-over edits, so please just tell me what you think. Cheers.

Mah Man! You deserve a cold beer

I used to be here often:
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30432 on: November 22, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »

something for a thing

Conker
« Reply #30433 on: November 22, 2015, 06:17:51 PM »

something for a thing

paged

3 frame limitation
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:31:50 PM by Conker » Logged
andes-neumann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30434 on: November 22, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »

A space station floating deep into the cosmos.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30435 on: November 22, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »

something for a thing

This is crazy cool

Alex N.
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30436 on: November 22, 2015, 09:52:50 PM »

something for a thing

Does the thing made for a thing has some sort of another thing linked to it? Maybe a game or a devlog topic thing? The thing looks good, i bet the other thing will kick ass (only if there is another thing OR this thing is just a thing).
Hope I made myself clear

I used to be here often:
Conker
« Reply #30437 on: November 22, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30438 on: November 22, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »