Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:20:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1560 1561 [1562] 1563 1564 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7286309 times)
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31220 on: May 22, 2016, 08:33:19 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys! I'd basically already scrapped the design and went with this instead (due to a plethora of story-related reasons), but I decided to try  your suggestions for practice and future reference anyways!

This is what I ended up with this:

sonder
« Reply #31221 on: May 23, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys! I'd basically already scrapped the design and went with this instead (due to a plethora of story-related reasons), but I decided to try  your suggestions for practice and future reference anyways!

This is what I ended up with this:

Hand Thumbs Up Right
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31222 on: May 24, 2016, 12:02:57 AM »

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #31223 on: May 24, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »

Another week, another 7 fonts Smiley
9 more days and it will be a month of font-making :D

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31224 on: May 24, 2016, 05:16:53 AM »

-snip-

Nice work! It's really inspiring to see you keeping this up for so long with such consistency. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31225 on: May 24, 2016, 06:10:07 AM »

Dreaming about cartoonish fighting/platformer mix, started with non-combat idle, after several days of making it (it's 4th my animation ever) I understand that have no idea how should backgrounds looks alike and how to choose colors >_<
Could use advice about hair and hand shadows:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:32:58 AM by Shirsh » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31226 on: May 24, 2016, 08:47:46 AM »

What's the difference between the second and third? The hand shadow color?

Anyway, the hand looks weird because it's facing directly to the camera. "Turn it" so that it's against her leg (so you can't see the curl of the fist). The fist should be casting a shadow on her leg, yeah; not sure where the lighting is in your sprite, either. Is it the top-right? If so, shadows should fall directly below objects (like right under her coat, and the back of her hair), and the back of objects (like the shadow on the back leg, but probably wider than a single pixel if possible.

The hand shadow color is pretty similar (the same?) in the last two. One of them probably would work well (the first one's color is too light). However, whatever color you choose should probably be the same color for the dark shaded skintone under her face.

sonder
« Reply #31227 on: May 24, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »

Dreaming about cartoonish fighting/platformer mix, started with non-combat idle, after several days of making it (it's 4th my animation ever) I understand that have no idea how should backgrounds looks alike and how to choose colors >_<
Could use advice about hair and hand shadows:

you're wasting your time splitting hairs.  all of these are virtually identical.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #31228 on: May 24, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »

They also look really good though!

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31229 on: May 24, 2016, 01:02:14 PM »

I agree about turning the hand. Unless you she is about to punch it should be turned in. Also, for the back hand (her left) there is some weird pixel movement when its all the way back almost behind here. One pixel sort of flashes in and out and its distracting.

Other than that is very nice.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #31230 on: May 24, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »

-snip-

Nice work! It's really inspiring to see you keeping this up for so long with such consistency. Hand Thumbs Up Right
Thank you! I do hope one of the effects of doing this will inspire others to try their hand at font-making.

Too often I see great pixel artists, who make amazing figures, anims, and environments, but lack in the text aspect. It's not exactly easy, but it's not too terribly hard either. Like anything else, practice = results.

As an aside, though I'm not sure how I would go about it, I'm thinking of making some videos/series on the font making: the process, where I find new font ideas, tips, etc. If anyone has ideas/suggestions pertaining to this, I'm all ears Smiley

sonder
« Reply #31231 on: May 25, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »

They also look really good though!

yeah, that too.
sonder
« Reply #31232 on: May 25, 2016, 09:00:09 AM »

Game maker's sprite editor

you brave, brave man.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #31233 on: May 25, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »

Game Maker's sprite editor is the only thing out there that allows you to edit pixel art animations adequately. Everything else I've tried either didn't support it or had a really hacky way of doing it (using layers for an example).

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31234 on: May 25, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »

Agreed, GM's sprite editor is pretty great.  I use it in combination with Paint.NET myself.

sonder
« Reply #31235 on: May 25, 2016, 09:42:52 AM »

Game Maker's sprite editor is the only thing out there that allows you to edit pixel art animations adequately. Everything else I've tried either didn't support it or had a really hacky way of doing it (using layers for an example).

Check out Aseprite and GraphicsGale
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #31236 on: May 25, 2016, 09:49:56 AM »

I can't stand Aseprite's pixelated GUI, ironically. Also GraphicsGale is not free, and its interface is confusing.

...Though I will admit that they have nice features, my point here is that they're just not very usable.

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31237 on: May 25, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »

Aseprite's interface may not be super pleasing for everyone, but they're all very usable. GraphicsGale not so much, but Aseprite and Pyxel Edit are incredibly nice. You might not be able to fully grasp all of the features in the first few minutes, but they're full of rich and easy-to-use functionality.

sonder
« Reply #31238 on: May 25, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »

I can't stand Aseprite's pixelated GUI, ironically. Also GraphicsGale is not free, and its interface is confusing.

...Though I will admit that they have nice features, my point here is that they're just not very usable.

You can disable the zoom.  GG is free minus GIF export, but I agree on GG being confusing.  Aseprite is much better in that regard.  Aseprite is not free either, but it's well worth $15 or whatever they're asking.  "Not usable" is the last thing I would say about Aseprite, I tried many programs and IMO it has grown to become one of the best.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #31239 on: May 25, 2016, 12:57:09 PM »

I meant for me lol, and if you can make the GUI normal scale then I'll definitelly revisit it

Pages: 1 ... 1560 1561 [1562] 1563 1564 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic