Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:58:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCreo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Creo  (Read 2076 times)
Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »

Hi Guys!

To help keep me motivated on my current project, I decided to start a devlog.  I'm working on a construction set type game.  The basic idea is you have to get a certain block to the goal area in each level by building some sort of machine that can take it there.  There's also a light programming element that allows you to set up controls for you machine.  I guess you might say I'm aiming somewhere in between Fantastic Contraption and BK: Nuts and Bolts.  You can check out a video of where the game is at here:

And here's some images:

It's pretty neat, but the levels right now are weak and easy to beat without really making anything other than a car (I made them by hand editing custom xml files, very janky).  Right now I'm working on an in game level editor and hopefully some really interesting levels, more vehicle editor usability improvements, and maybe some better art/context/story (the simple platonic solids look is nice, but the look is maybe too 'clean').  

Anyway, here's a peek into my todo list:

• Finish up the Level Editor, hook up load and saving of levels from the editor
  • Make and playtest some really interesting levels (maybe a jungle themed level, or ice themed, requiring drastically different vehicles to solve each)
  • Investigate a wing type block, which would allow flying/gliding creations
  • Rework editor to operate with higher level blocks (complete wheels, etc)
  • Rework vehicle programming UI to be more intuitive
  • Come up with some sort of fiction/story (and try to convince my friends to help with art!)

I'm hoping to get all this done by Feb 18th and enter that SXSW contest.  Thanks for taking a look, always interested in everyone's thoughts!
-Pete
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:46:35 PM by Petey » Logged

Made Cannon Brawl - Worked on ABZÛ - Now making Kingdoms And Castles
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »

It's fantastic, congratulations! I can't wait for Feb 18th! Smiley
Which engine are you using? Platforms?
Is the meaning of the word "creo" the one I am thinking?

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »

Thanks yajo!  I'm using Bullet Physics (although the water is all custom code) and DirectX 9.0 integrated with my own engine - so for now, I'm targeting the PC platform.  I'm going with Creo=Create, what meaning of Creo are you thinking? Smiley

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »

Thanks yajo!  I'm using Bullet Physics (although the water is all custom code) and DirectX 9.0 integrated with my own engine - so for now, I'm targeting the PC platform.

Wow, it's a lot of work! And results are impressive!

I'm going with Creo=Create, what meaning of Creo are you thinking? Smiley

My doubt was since "creo", in the italian language, is more than "create": it's "I create" exactly. So I find that the name is appealing, and, as an italian guy, I'm happy about this name. Smiley

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »

Alright, I've been chugging away for a little while, I figured I'd give everyone a quick update:

The level editor now works and is able to make, load, and save levels!  There's still some features to be added, and the UI is still a little screwey, but all the core stuff is there and it's usable for building levels.  Here's a screenshot:

Also, one of my friends is now working on a website for the game!  We're going to set it up so that you can upload levels and vehicles from the game, view them online, and download new ones to use in the game - should be very neat.

Now the hard part - building some sweet levels!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:05:39 AM »

looks remind me of wetrix

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:43:54 PM »

So, it's been a little while and it turns out I got some of that initial todo list done!  Here's a brief re-cap of what's happened since the last update:

- Quit my job (not in the todo list, but important in finishing the todo list)!
- Submitted to the SXSW contest, selected as a finalist, and won an award for Technical Excellence (gives me the confidence to keep developing)!
- Added ability to edit all over the level.  Now instead of making a single machine in the starting area, the entire level is a puzzle for you to create solutions on top of.
- Added (what I hope is) more intuitive way to move objects in 3 dimensions
- Experimenting with airplane wing type blocks to allow flying mechanics
- Working on tighter, more interesting levels
- Playing with some depth-of-field stuff for fun:

Also, if you want to give an older build a try, I have a feedback thread here:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17920.msg513553#msg513553

I've got some loose ends to wrap up in the game now, but I'm aiming for a newer updated build soon!  My goal now is to flesh this out into the game it wants to be and submit it to the next IGF!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic