Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:27:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationX-Treme Cave X-Plorer Deluxe Professional Edition [DEMO]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: X-Treme Cave X-Plorer Deluxe Professional Edition [DEMO]  (Read 8763 times)
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »

Cave X-Plorer is a new robotic exploration solution from the Macrosoft Etheration Robotics division. The X-Plorer's numerous spokes, spaced pi/8 radians apart, allow it to smoothly and effortlessly navigate hard and uneven terrain.

Additionally, the X-Plorer contains systems for collecting, storing, and combining the music, instrument, and terrain "genomes" found in most cave systems.
Early prototypes such as the one shown in the photographs below show a great deal of promise, and the X-Plorer may be ready for public consumption as early as June.

Macrosoft Etheration's unique Landscape Genome System (LGS) allows for the creation of more than just Realistic Cave-like Environments (RCE). Changing just a few variables yields the landscape shown below.

Note: Macrosoft Etheration reserves the right to begin consumer testing of the X-Plorer upon completion of the basic landscape generations systems. In true Macrosoft fashion, we will, at that time, gladly accept feedback and file it away in a location that will make it impossible to retrieve.

Macrosoft Etheration is prepared to release the first consumer trial of the Cave X-Plorer. It can be obtained using the link given below. Left and Right arrow keys are used for movement, up and down are used to adjust absolute altitude, which remains constant otherwise, and z causes the spokes to retract. When z is released, the spokes rapidly extend, providing an upward force significantly greater than gravity. In this version, pressing x generates a random instrument.

http://home.comcast.net/~gravyman3321/CaveXPlorer.zip

Known Bugs:
  • Random freezes (be ready to use your task manager)
  • Crashes for config.txt resolution = 1024x768
  • The "music" is not continuous on some computers. Macrosoft has tested two computers with differing results.
  • The LGS is known to malfunction occasionally, resulting in unusual cave formations.

Project progress (56%):
Guidance System - 100%
  • Left/Right Movement - Complete
  • Altitude Control - Complete
  • Enhanced Matter Interaction - Complete
  • Roll-Move Synchronization - Complete
  •     Spoke-Failure Vulnerability Patch - Complete
        Note: Spoke zero displays unique optical properties. According to all instruments, it exists and is visible,
        and yet it remains completely invisible. This property should be marked for further study (potential applications in time-limited demo software).
  • Advanced Maneuverability - Complete
  • Terrain Tracking and Adaptation - Complete
Environment Control - 70%
  • Music Genome Handling - 75%
  • Instrument Genome Handling - 75% (100% on TI-84)
  • Music Creation - 50%
  • Landscape Genome Handling - >50%
  • Landscape Generation - 95%
    • Down component - Complete
    • Left component - Complete
    • Right component - Complete
    • Polision - 75% <-Not entirely sure what that is.
  • Getting it to consistently not crash when moving to a new area - Priceless (also complete)
Genome Manipulation Systems - 12%
  • Combination System - 25%
  • User Interface - 10%
  • Genome saving/loading - 0%
Other Systems - 42%
  • Menu System - 25%
  • Powerup Display - 0%
  • Product Placement System - 100%
    • Coke Machine - 100%
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 02:36:55 PM by Gold Cray » Logged
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »

That pic is inspiring, looking forward to your game Smiley

increpare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »

That pic has piqued my interest.  I interestedly await further progress reports Smiley
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »

I will need to see a demo and perhaps have a test drive befor iterationGAMES corporation can invest in our very own Cave X-Plorer. However when you can provide such test drives we may signal our support,. till then nice pic! (and text!) Wink

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 05:52:27 PM »

You, sir, are a PR genius.

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »

Due to recent catastrophic budget cuts, Macrosoft Robotics has been forced to scale down its operations. As a result, a few features have been cut from the Cave X-Plorer in order to facilitate timely completion. The Cave X-Plorer's genome storage and manipulation systems and extraneous components of the user interface have been removed and the product has been renamed X-Treme Cave X-Plorer Deluxe Home Edition.

Macrosoft Robotics is proud to announce that the Cave X-Plorer Home Edition is nearing completion and will be released within the next 24 hours. Since it is likely that widespread exposure will reveal issues not detected before release, Macrosoft reserves the right to release updates and service packs during the weeks after the initial release.

The current demo of the Cave X-Plorer Home Edition can be obtained at http://code.google.com/p/cavexplorer/.

Controls are:
  • hold z - retract legs
  • release z - extend legs and jump
  • left/right - roll
  • up/down - adjust absolute altitude (if possible)
  • x - change "instrument"

Known Bugs:
  • Though it has not occurred recently, the game may freeze occasionally.
  • The LGS is known to malfunction occasionally, resulting in unusual cave formations.
  • Crashes for config.txt resolution = 1024x768

Notes:
  • Ensure that your computer can display the resolution in config.txt.
  • Higher resolutions create the illusion of slower movement.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 02:52:37 PM by Gold Cray » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 03:27:36 PM »

Your game crashed my whole computer. Lips Sealed

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »

To: Gold Cray <**********>
Subject: Re: New Test Results
Date: 6/1/2008 6:15PM

Mr. Cray,

Here are the new test results with the third test machine.

Machine 1 (Vista):
No new issues. Computer remained stable.

Machine 2 (Windows XP x64):
No new issues. Still seems to run a little slowly. Computer remained stable.

Machine 3 (Windows XP Home):
Ran correctly at 1204x768, but skipped the title screen and displayed only a small black rectangle at all other resolutions. Computer remains stable for all resolutions.

>From: Gold Cray <**********>
>To: Macrosoft Product Testing <**********>
>Subject: New Test Results
>Date: 6/1/2008 5:45PM
>
>It seems that the Cave X-Plorer is not quite so stable as the initial tests
>concluded. In at least one instance, it crashed and took a computer with it.
>Try testing it again, on more machines if you have them, and send me the results
>when you finish.
>
>--Gold Cray

All of our tests thus far have failed to reproduce the reported catastrophic failure. At this time, Macrosoft does not have sufficient data to correct the issue and will gladly accept any further information. If anyone else experiences this issue, please let us know.

Macrosoft is sorry to announce that until this problem is resolved, the final release is indefinitely delayed.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:08:29 PM »

My PC is an Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 512 MB RAM, video card NVidia GeForce 4 MX 4000, running with Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:17:01 AM »

The game crashed for me when I was moving back and forth between edges after realizing that earlier cave screens don't persist. Then again a second screen in when playing with the instruments. (Running Vista Home Premium on Dell Inspiron 1520. GeForce 1600M GT. 2.00 Ghz dual core, 2.00 Gb memory).

I like the spider bot controls. Pretty fluid.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:06:35 AM »

All the cool games in this competition won't run on my computer Sad

I just get a black console window at start.

EDIT: Okay it works now! The "music" is the most annoying thing I've ever heard though Tongue
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:56:43 AM by Hideous » Logged

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »

Are the crashes procedurally generated? :D

Looks really interesting but it runs horribly unstable on my Win XP Pro. Out of maybe 20 times I tried to move to another screen, the game crashed 18 times or so. Sometimes it crashes in the middle of a screen. Sometimes a crash means that it quits, sometimes it just freezes. I also seem to always get the same 1st screen.

I tried the default 12xx resolution and 1024. The latter was more stable, i.e. I was actually able to get to another screen :D.

That could really turn into a great game with things like puzzles, collectible items, etc. Like that pixel rat maze for example. Somehow this reminds me of it. Senseless running around, yet still it's somehow entertaining Wink
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »

Are the crashes procedurally generated?
Sometimes the undocumented features are the best kind.
Obviously, this is not the case this time.

The "music" is the most annoying thing I've ever heard though
I completely agree. I originally intended to fix it and improve the generation method, but like everything else, I never got around to it.

That could really turn into a great game with things like puzzles, collectible items, etc. Like that pixel rat maze for example. Somehow this reminds me of it. Senseless running around, yet still it's somehow entertaining
I originally planned to have powerups for changing landscape, music, instruments, but never got around to implementing that part. Chances are I won't do much more with this, but the source code is available at the same place at the executable if anyone wants to use it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic