Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 02:56:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat installer software do you use?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What installer software do you use?  (Read 1285 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:57:10 PM »

I've been using the free program Inno Setup for my Windows game installers for a while now, but it suffers from a serious problem: namely, the shortcut files it creates are completely unusable. They don't open their intended files, which has led to a fair bit of user frustration.

In short, I really need to find a good alternative. What installers do you guys use? How do you like them?

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »

Personally I try to design my games so that they do not require installers at all, but...

Do you have Visual Studio? The MSI creation tools are actually pretty nice and they produce installers that "look standard". Unfortunately this is apparently not a feature of Visual Studio Express.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »

If you have to support Windows, take a look at NSIS.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »

i use nsis

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »

Definitely hard to find fault with NSIS.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »

I've been using the free program Inno Setup for my Windows game installers for a while now, but it suffers from a serious problem: namely, the shortcut files it creates are completely unusable. They don't open their intended files, which has led to a fair bit of user frustration.

In short, I really need to find a good alternative. What installers do you guys use? How do you like them?

I use Inno Setup as well for my installer (but I provide a zip file too).

Have you tried setting the working directory in the installer file (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isfaq.php#workingdir)?

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »

Oh, yeah, so, I figured out the problem--if there's a colon anywhere in the name of your game, the shortcuts it creates won't work. I was able to fix it by calling it Telepath RPG Servants of God, and now Inno works really well. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic