Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 03:46:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFlash Sponsorships and Test Builds
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash Sponsorships and Test Builds  (Read 1721 times)
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »

I'm working on a Flash game, and I'm planning on getting a sponsorship for it once it's done. However, it just occurred to me that posting a public test build of the game for feedback might go against the terms of a sponsorship.
I'm sure this is up to an individual company's policies, has anybody had experiences with this, and would it be a problem, especially if the test build is significantly different from the final build?
Nix
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »

I'm working on a Flash game, and I'm planning on getting a sponsorship for it once it's done. However, it just occurred to me that posting a public test build of the game for feedback might go against the terms of a sponsorship.
I'm sure this is up to an individual company's policies, has anybody had experiences with this, and would it be a problem, especially if the test build is significantly different from the final build?

It's probably best to play it safe and keep all of your public test builds within the confines of FlashGameLicense.com

Sponsors may not care, assuming the builds were pretty far from the final release, but it could lead to some akwardness and I would avoid it altogether.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 01:39:49 AM »

and would it be a problem
Yes, it might.

What sponsors typically care about is exposure - how many people have seen the game. If you put it up somewhere public, that factor moves outside your control. Sure, if you post it on TIGSource somewhere it'll probably only be seen by a few hundred, but why risk your game's success on assuming this?

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:29:27 PM »

Fair enough. Thanks for the help! Smiley
Captain_404
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »

I have yet to hear of this being a problem. If it is with yours, it would be the first case I know of.

You can always post it only on FGL, but honestly I've almost never seen good feedback given there. I don't think there are many sponsors who browse the TIGSource feedback forum anyway (if any).
Nix
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:43:29 AM »

If you do decide to post builds outside of FGL, you should at least use a working title instead of the title that you plan to release with so that you don't screw up SEO for the sponsor. Being at the top of the search engine list is one of the main goals of your primary sponsor.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »

Yeah, I sort of figured that would be a factor.
I might try posting a game for feedback here sometime, but since this is my first time getting a sponsorship, I'll probably play it safe for now. Plenty of time for rule-breaking later Grin
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic