Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:07:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHelp me improve this sprite
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help me improve this sprite  (Read 4589 times)
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:57:45 AM »

I created this on my phone, so colors could look a tad weird on a computer.
Anyways, I could really use your help to fix this sprite.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »

First thing I noticed is that the pants are the same color as the skin, which should probably be changed.

JoGribbs
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »

I think the colours are fine.

I think the pose is the problem. The arms are spread out in a kind of 'action surprise', but the rest of the body is completely straight. I think if he/she were hunched over more and the legs were spread wider it would be better.
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »

It's a really cute sprite but I agree with the pose issue. What was the pose you were shooting for? Is she waiting for action? Either way the arms are rigid right, now you could bend them at the elbow a bit to make it more natural. If it is a "surprise action" show that in the legs too, like Jogr says.

Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »

Yeah...the pose issue. Also, her left foot seems to be missing. That way it just look she's inside a hole (what is actually supposed to be a dropped shadow).
Also, she seems to be cross-eyed. Her right eye should be facing the same way as the left, so it looks more natural, as her face is leaned to the right.

Doesn't the eyes look more natural?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 01:53:07 AM »

Doesn't the eyes look more natural?
Disagree, may be more natural logically, but having it pupil up against the outline of the face reduces visibility. Also, makes her look sad for some reason.
The shorts taper strangely, you should either have cuffs (ala shirt sleeves) or make them loose fabric. Shading is nice, kind of Korean style. I'd move the tail up a pixel or two so the bottom of it doesn't line up with the hand, and up the contrast of the goggles (the strap/frame could be darker, and even go farther down on her head, there's not really a reason it would cover them up that high)

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »

I feel like the legs, particularly the pants, don't really adhere to the torso twist of the upper body. Also, imo the pants have too much stark contrast with the top clothing. It shifts focus on it because the hair is too dark to balance out with the lighter pants color despite the goggles.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:26:26 AM »

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

How's this so far? (This is not finished nor cleaned as you can see)

Jetrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 03:02:16 AM »

Wow, and here I was thinking "man, that original is pretty good", but in terms of "immediate appeal", the second sprite really benefits from the more readable separation of the arms, the more dynamic pose, etc.

As part of some larger body of animation frames, the first sprite is fine, but if you're just doing this sprite as a standalone "art piece", then yeah, this second one is a marked improvement.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:37:24 AM »

Thanks dude.

finished?
Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:53:06 AM »

Yeah...In terms of negative space that's way better also ;]

The only thing bothering me are those shorts. They seem kinda blocky. Maybe if you don't completely fill the upper edges it'll look like it really is one whole piece of cloth.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 03:49:27 AM »

Jesus, you made this on your phone? Very nice! Although I prefer the second-to-last incarnation myself.

Here's an edit to try and help:

1. Arms a little too long, imo. They're about down to her knees almost.

2. The legs look a bit too much like chicken drumsticks - I think the top of the thighs are too well defined and the middle/bottom of the shirt not enough. I made the shirt come down and added a belt to sort of "tie" it together. I think it gives her a little more form around the middle.

3. Kind of a preferential thing, but I thought she looked cuter with bare arms and legs. And a sword. Tongue

Character poses are really hard, though. I have a lot of trouble with them.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic