Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:31:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFinally Completed! Neon Force Runner, a One Button Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Finally Completed! Neon Force Runner, a One Button Game  (Read 1951 times)
ill13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »

Hey all,

Neon Force Runner is a one button game where you control the thrust of a airship flying through the American cities of New York, San Diego, and Miami. Also includes music from the band "dbk".

Press "W" or "SPACE". Use the mouse on the menus at any time. Scores are saved on Mochi

Neon Force Runner is a one button game where you control the thrust of a airship flying through the American cities of New York, San Diego, and Miami. Also includes music from the band "dbk".

Press "W" or "SPACE". Use the mouse on the menus at any time.

feel free to submit bugs and such, I'm sure I've missed a few!

...And a link to the game ill13.com/nfr.asp

Mhaine
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:42:51 AM »

Here's what I've thought of the game:
-Pretty basic gameplay; nothing innovative.
-Good level design.
-Pretty basic graphics; nothing special.
-Nothing to keep the player playing; no objectives, no story, no fun explosions or high scores to care about.
-The "submit score" popup blocks the mouse.
-Was this made for the band, or for the hopes of attracting a band? Why was this made?
increpare
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 05:01:37 AM »

- pressing w doesn't always restart
- i like the aesthetic a lot -especially the changes from night to day (when I first encountered them I thought you had a day/night cycle going on that would happen over multiple plays, but now it seems more like it's chosen at random)
- feels fine to me
ill13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »

Mhaine:

The game does have high score tracking, via MochiScores. I could/should add a story behind the game, some "escape the..." something, but not sure if a story will add any "value" per se, to the game.

Re the score blocking, that's kind of an issue with Mochi/flixel. I guess once i actually learn more @ flash i'll be able to rectify this.

why was this made? for fun, of course [and learning].

increpare:

thanks for the heads up on the "pressing W fails to restart" I will look into that!

the sky transition/changes are to denote "lives". not particularly obvious, i know.

thanks to both of you for the input. Per some other forums I will change the ship and exhaust designs.

p.s. I can't beat even level one, i.m curious as to whether or not you can.

ill13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »

thrust sound issue fixed
new player graphics added
"W" issue *may* be fixed

thanks guys!

nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:35:30 PM »

The beginning is hard. After that it becomes do-able.
I think it should be the other way around.
ill13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »

level 1 is hard? or just the beginning of level 1 should be swapped with a later part of level 1?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »

In my opinion, the rocket isn't responsive enough. Level one is impossible.

nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »

the beginning of level 1.
ill13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 10:00:55 AM »

okay, due to many requests, mouse thrusting has been implemented, hopefully this means that the game is now mobile device compatible.

RE: playtesting levels. Many have already beaten the game, whereas I can't beat even level one. So I'm not usre how to do new levels/level design.

thanks for all the input guys!

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »

First of all, what's with the slowed down voice saying "Neon Force Runner" at the beginning? There is no good reason for that.

Second, the style of the game doesn't really seem consistent. You've got kind of a colorful neon thing going on with the background and walls, but the rocket and fire have a more realistic look, all while slow rock music is playing. It really doesn't feel good.

Third, there have got to be about 500 other games with the exact same gameplay as this one, so there's not much motivation to play it.
ill13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »

tesselode:

-why not have a silly voice announce the game title?
-good point, ill look into re-doing the explosion.
-true, there are many "helicopter in a cave" games out there. Now there's 501 Smiley!

shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:47:40 PM »

I don't feel it matters too much that this kind of game has been done before so many times as long as there's something about your game that stands out from the rest. Unfortunately, while Neon Force Runner has a few good things going for it, Metro.Siberia already brilliantly occupies the niche that it would otherwise fill - they've even done the whole customized-for-a-band-version thing here.

I think focusing on new gameplay elements and improving the level design is the best thing to do here, and on the site you've mentioned adding pickups which sounds good to me, though I wouldn't stop with just score bonuses. Equilib had some interesting ideas for inspiration, though the feel of that game is pretty different.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »

-why not have a silly voice announce the game title?
It sounds really out-of-place. And silly in a bad way.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic