Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 12:25:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)16x Pixel art always looks good!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: 16x Pixel art always looks good!  (Read 21954 times)
rogerlevy
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »

I don't always love them.  Sometimes they don't add anything, or worse, look cheap.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »

I will say this...

1x1 pixel art always looks perfect if you know which colour you're after.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »

I like low pixel, in the same way that I like low poly. If its done right, it can be great, but if its done badly, its bad.

But like someone said, this thread is really based upon one guys opinion, at he was probably semi-trolling anyway. Anyway, like I said earlier, calm it guys. If you're going to post an opinion, please back it up with a semi-sensible narrative.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »

Is this thread a joke? I can't tell.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »

Making super weird hugely general statements that such as "always" and "never", especially with regards to something as subjective and diverse as art, is pretty much completely pointless and trivializing. There is no "always", except maybe through saying there are 'always' exceptions. Not saying scaled up pixels can't look pretty, but they can definitely look ugly. There is no "best size", and to suggest such is a pretty absurd notion to me. Working with what you have and knowing your limits is of course a fair approach, and if working at a 16*16 scale and blowing that shit up is what it takes to do what you want then so be it. But to suggest that your limits are a definitive Solution is pretty sad stuff, to me.

Beyond all that though, I'm also wondering the same thing as JaJitsu.

jwk5
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »

To me it depends on what the blown up sprites are surrounded by. Disgaea 3 is a prime example of what I mean. As you zoom in the 2D sprites get larger and larger and really lose their scale ratio to the texturing of the 3D background and the whole thing looks like an ugly mess. If you stay at the "medium" zoom the sprites are small enough that they are at pretty close ratio to the texturing of the 3D and everything looks fairly crisp (so long as the "filtering" option is off).

This may be going off-topic but I've always found it strange that in one thread people will be going on how "bad graphics" and programmer art in indie games are charming and then in another topic where someone actually posts their "bad graphics" and programmer art everyone goes "Ugh! That looks bad!"
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 02:55:32 PM »

If you aren't an artist would your programmer art work better at sizes such as 16 x 16 and blown up then larger sprite sizes? Would the larger sprites not show up your lack of artistic ability more than the low-resolution approach?
jwk5
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 04:25:50 PM »

That is like asking "if you weren't an artist would you paint better with gauche or acrylic?"

Experiment and go with whatever looks good (to you, at the very least).
rogerlevy
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 01:44:36 PM »

I'm sorry, but these "to each his own" arguments are just not cutting it anymore.  I'm not learning anything.  And someone who thinks that one medium is objectively "better" than another wouldn't learn anything from that either.  It's almost like saying "it's too hard to think about stuff, so let's just agree to disagree."
jwk5
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »

I'm sorry, but these "to each his own" arguments are just not cutting it anymore.  I'm not learning anything.  And someone who thinks that one medium is objectively "better" than another wouldn't learn anything from that either.  It's almost like saying "it's too hard to think about stuff, so let's just agree to disagree."
I didn't say "To each their own" I said "It is something you'll have to use your own judgement on."
rogerlevy
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »

Blink Blink
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic