Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:27:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingFirst Light - Open Universe
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First Light - Open Universe  (Read 3790 times)
LazyWaffle
« on: January 03, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »

So a year ago, I tried to make a wiki-based universe that anyone can contribute to. It was alright, but it ultimately flopped due to lack of organization. Now I'm trying again, this time with a lot more effort put into organizing it.

http://firstlight.wikidot.com/

Basically, First Light is a completely open wiki-based universe that anyone can add to. It's set up so literature, games, artwork or the like can take place in the universe. It's somewhat of a high fantasy, but not really Tolken-esque, as it focuses more on the scientific aspect of a fantasy universe.

I tried to have it incorporate several different settings. For example, the Anten peninsula is steampunk-ish, Nescia is oceanpunk, South Espacus region is middle-eastern, and so on.

Suggestions are welcome. Anyway, feel free to contribute whatever. Hope it catches on this time Smiley
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:27:12 PM by LazyWaffle » Logged
pixhead
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »

How the hurr-durr will you keep that organized, watching over something that big would take hours a day if it caught on. It's a great idea but Im skeptical.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »

How the hurr-durr will you keep that organized, watching over something that big would take hours a day if it caught on. It's a great idea but Im skeptical.
Consistency will be a problem, but the different continents/regions are pretty separate besides a few mutual concepts, so you'll just have to read the important pages in the region you're writing something in.
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »

I'll add a smidge to this thing. Just to get the ball rolling. Besides, it'd be neat if my stuff ends up being the old-school things in the setting, that people add to.  Big Laff
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »

I'll try and add some stuff too. Looks interesting, from what I've seen so far.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »

I liked the original, and I'll check this out sometime when I have some free time, and some inspiration.  Smiley

It'd be cool if this got developed enough to be a font of stories and such.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:35:18 PM »

I liked the original, and I'll check this out sometime when I have some free time, and some inspiration.  Smiley

It'd be cool if this got developed enough to be a font of stories and such.
Your stuff was awesome on Project Nova, I really liked your contributions Smiley

My brother and I kept a lot of the concepts from the last wiki (Cross-multiverse theory, wells, Luric), and if you want then you can bring some of your old pages to the new wiki.

Anyway, thanks for contributing everyone. I hope this takes off soon Wizard
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:44:55 PM by LazyWaffle » Logged
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:44:43 AM »

Well, I just added some stuff to the plants and animals and made up a bit of history. I just realized that the rest of wiki is written like a description of the world and I wrote my articles like they were actually a wiki from the world. Sorry.

What time is considered "modern"? The major religions were made in the early hundreds. How far does history go?
LazyWaffle
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 05:25:18 AM »

Your articles are fine, don't worry about it. Anyway, the "present day" is the early 1000's. I don't think it's that important, as long as there's a general reference point. It won't really be focused on too much, either way.
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 05:17:20 AM »

NEAT!

I had an idea like this once but when i made a page on wikipedia for it, it was taken down very quickly. Though, i realize now that my idea was most similar to DND minus the DM where players would make one or more fictitious characters, define something about the world, and the challenge for the player would be to act in a way that is consistent to the world with ever-changing rules.

This seems a little more interesting so i should participate. Is there anything you'd like NOT in it? I don't imagine it'd be cool if i wrote an article about an alien race who comes and destroys it to the ground 'cause then there'd be nothing to write about...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic