Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:37:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Ghosts and Gemstones
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Ghosts and Gemstones  (Read 1511 times)
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »

So I made a game for Ludum Dare 19! And it's set of this whole process and now I'm making an action digging rougelike thing.

It's a bit like this other game (I guess that this kind of thing is in vogue now. I blame Recettear and that.)

Right now all I've got is an engine test. There isn't much game (or any technically, as there are no goals or owt) but you can imagine how it will all work. You'll play as a little person who wanders around caves, mines through walls and steals items and gold and that. There will be monsters (which you can only see if they are within your light radius. I'm hoping that this will mean that monsters can sneak up on you and surprise you.) and traps and items and all that standard dungeon stuff. It's nowt that new.

You can play the engine test here if you want. Or not

Thanks a lot to Oryx and his wonderful LO-FI 8x8 Fantasy tiles which I'm using to prototype.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:48:22 AM by dontkickpenguins » Logged

dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »

Ok, I've added these little gems that can be collected by the player. It's a tiny change but the underlaying code needed to make it only visible when in the players line of sight and that is needed. So I should be able to add some enemies soon.

dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:05:12 PM »

I don't think that anyone is reading this but I'm enjoying posting these so I'm going to keep posting here. I've implemented two normal monsters and one special monster (the ghost).

I'm doing something interesting with the monsters in this game. Normal (live) enemies can be stunned by the player's laser gun and killed by being shot again when stunned. However, when killed they drop a grave which spawns a ghost. The ghosts cannot be killed and chase you down through walls. So in theory it should be a balancing act where the player has to choose in real time between killing off enemies for a short term benefit (no enemy to attack you) or not killing the enemies and having the long term benefit of not having to avoid the ghosts.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »

I am reading it :0

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:17:25 AM »

I like the idea of balancing killing and repercussions for doing so. Perhaps you could get items for killing, as well? Since "no enemy to attack you" is mooted by the new enemy attacking you.
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:38 AM »

I am reading it :0
That's good to know. I thought noone cared.

I like the idea of balancing killing and repercussions for doing so. Perhaps you could get items for killing, as well? Since "no enemy to attack you" is mooted by the new enemy attacking you.
That's a good idea. I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't really thought of that, which is a bit worrying because it's such an obvious thing to add. I already have gems that are just lying around, it should be easy to make enemies drop gems.

I still need to add some stairs down to different levels (which means that I need a way to differentiate levels, need to tie monster and ghost spawn rates to the current depth and that) as well as adding a shop just to get to the state the ludum dare entry was in. Stairs should be simple to add, I just need to create some sort of static current game state blob class and then increment things as the player descends.

The shop should also be fairly simple to add as well (I can pretty much just recycle the code from the ludum dare entry for that). I don't know how many people played the ludum dare entry, but in that the shop allowed you to buy upgrades like faster speed, more health, more bullets on screen at once, greater range and that. That's cool (and piss-easy to implement) but it's all a bit dull really. You don't have a massive change in player tactics at any point. I think I'll implement secondary items that you can buy like bombs, mines, missiles, a dash, a scanner, blockades. Stuff like that, that gives the player new tactics to use instead of just making them better at what they could already do. I might also make it so that you have to find a shop instead of getting one everytime you find the stairs. But this is all just stuff I'm thinking about, nowt solidly implemented yet.

dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »

Ok, I've got a basic shop and level changes working. So now I guess I'll work on adding more interesting enemies and equipment in.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic