Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:12:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSpriting Critique
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spriting Critique  (Read 3948 times)
DecapitatedOrk
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:10 PM »

Can anyone offer critique on this work of mine? I'm a pretty poor spriter, but I made this one from scratch, and I'd like any critique in general, though I would prefer ones that focus on the frame since I'm working on the base for all my sprites right now and changing them later would be a pain.

I'm considering also running the game in %200 resolution, It seems to me my sprite looks better that way.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

Hello there.

Your biggest problem is the readability of the sprite. First thing you could do is increase the contrast. Secondly In case of small sprites "very much like this one" you should just use "top lighting" instead of lighting from the left.

Here's a quick redo of your sprite to show what I mean..

In case you didn't notice, I also changed the angle of the sprite from front to a birdeye's view.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:20:41 PM by green » Logged
DecapitatedOrk
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »

Thanks, I'll edit this one based on your suggestions. Do you have any rules of thumb when it comes to selecting proper contrast in colors? (I use PS CS5 if it makes any difference.) Also, do you think I should stick with the highlight shade like I did in the original, remove it like you did in yours?
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »

As you can see in the image above, a highlight can accentuate a character. But using too much highlights can make it harder to read the shapes. So think carefully before placing them in such a small sprite.

As for contrast, I usually pick my colors at random. The only real tip I can give you is, make sure you have enough contrast. And try out some hue shifts while you're at it.
DecapitatedOrk
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »

Here's the edited version based on your suggestions. I think it's a good improvement over the original, however I find the hat lacking a bit. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could improve it?

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »

Here's some other ideas.
DecapitatedOrk
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »

Oooh, I really like some of the shading on yours, thank you!
Kevin
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »

Here's my input:

I Lightened the shading colour (it seemed too close to the darkest blue) and threw in some black outlines (black might be too dark, so maybe playing with darker blues would have a better effect). I also removed a few colours. It's not really important (it's not like you're working with any strict palette/restrictions), but I find using fewer colours usually gives a better effect if you can get away with it.

Oh, and highlights, which should be a brighter colour (you can barely see that I put them in there). ♥
DecapitatedOrk
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »

After taking everyone's advice here's the new wizard.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic