Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:53:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationBiocosm [FINISHED (OSX and WIN32)]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Biocosm [FINISHED (OSX and WIN32)]  (Read 42698 times)
Quetz
Level 0

Eht.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2008, 05:22:36 AM »

I tried playing this on two different computers, and neither worked very well. The first computer has a fairly decent ATI Radeon 9600 with up-to-date drivers, 1GB of RAM and some sort of AMD Athlon processor that runs at like 1.6 or 1.8 MHz. The game loaded up fine and I could see the menu. However, once I started, the game consistently ran about a tenth of a frame per second. The second computer has an Intel 82865 Graphics Controller with only 64 MB of video memory, only 240MB of RAM, and a Pentium 4 processor, 2.4 GHz. When I started the game on this computer, the menus had the feared white blocks about them. After starting, the game actually ran at a pretty decent framerate. Eventually I ran into memory problems though, and had to put her down when I tried opening up the thread to get game instructions.

What a shame... the game looks so great! Embarrassed
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »

Wow! Thank you for your feedback, guys!! The game IS broken, unforunately as I had very little time to work on it after writing the creature code, most of which was spent balancing the forklift's torque, friction and speed parameters to a point where you can actually drag them around. I will definitely make updates to it when I have some free time.

But, ze game, she is broke. Scratch the forklift- it's slow, and finicky, and dull. Replace it with a UFO. With a tractor beam. Or a mutate ray. Or a grabby arm. Something which allows exploration and observation over... gameplay? It doesn't even have to control particularly well, just enough to let one zip over the creatures and get a good look.

The original idea actually was a UFO, but a car was actually easier to implement using the physics engine and I also thought that it might be more fun to have physical interactions with the creatures. I think in the end it might be cool to have both options. If I finish this, i'd probably make you a humanoid and make you able to get into the car or the UFO.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »

I'm sorry it doesn't work on my computer Cry
The opening screen takes two minutes to display anything, then I see a menu but nothing happens when I click "new game"
I have vista and a shitty integrated graphic cards (ATI x1250).
That might be the reason. Or maybe you used some old red army punchcards to code the game?

[EDIT] Okay, the playing screen finally appears but it's frozen, what are the controls anyway?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 05:02:35 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »

Got another small feedback; wouldn't be easy to add some extra blocks to the arms so that the creatures will be easier to catch?

so instead of:
      |
      ===
      |
-----'

it looks like:

/      |
        ===
 \      |
  -----'

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2008, 06:55:30 AM »

Doesn't work well for me either, with a Radeon x1400 Mobility, 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo and 3GB ram. Getting a really slow frame rate, far below 1FPS.
AClarkFS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »

Ive got basically the same stuff as seregrail7, cept 1gb ram & 2ghz core duo. The game is incredibly slow. A shame too, I wanted to try it out.
SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »

The game runs at a decent rate on my PC
(3ghz Pentium D, 2gb RAM, VistaHP32)
But I also think the forklift is a little flawed. I'd like to see a flying vehicle with an altitude-adjustable grabber, like one of those toy-grabbing machines in arcades (and Toy Story)
But loved the creatures. Reminded me of Soda constructor. And the background visuals are Lush, but occassionally a little too sparse.

Oh, and I get the white boxes >_<

I wanna make robots.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2008, 07:19:53 AM »

I made a little update to it, so it should run better and hopefully this will get rid of the white boxes issue

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2008, 08:35:46 PM »

It gets my vote just because I love seeing those Karl Simsesque creatures struggle so desperately against my manly pincers.

I kinda wish there were more per level, and that the terrain were a bit more varied.
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »

Impressive aesthetics. I really got into the game because of that.

The controls felt a little awkward, but not frustrating in some physics-based games. Good job on that.

I didn't feel very compelled to pick all of them though...felt like hard work Smiley.

The creatures twitching feels disturbing... nice job!

Daniel.
Ludomancy
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »

Very atmospheric!  I like the soundscape that accompanies the game and the thick feeling of the atmosphere.  I had quite a bit of difficulty with collecting specimens, though.  My cart got upended when I didn't release one of the specimens from my grasp and I couldn't seem to get some of them to catch with the pincers because they were so large and kept their moving bits low to the ground.  Still, a very interesting concept with great visual and audio design!
Cheers,
--Zack
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2008, 03:45:23 AM »

I really hope you keep working on this. It's a really nice idea with a lovely aesthetic, and the creatures are genuinely creepy in the way that they move. It's a shame that the buggy doesn't really work, and is too easy to up-end, requiring a restart.

I don't know how viable this is, but how about turning into a kind of creature-collecting game? Change the creature generation slightly so that whey always have two arms to grasp with, and allow the player to switch to any of the creatures they've captured.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2008, 06:20:25 AM »

One of my specimens refused to be beamed up.

Not only did my second to last specimen fail to beam up, I had a previous creature that took a while to beam up. When it finally got high enough to count toward the total collected, one of it's legs was permanently frozen at the top of the teleport sector.

Because of this and other gameplay issues posted by others, I haven't been able to collect all the required creatures to complete the game, first level, or whatever else the game's goal is based on.

Sure, it's known that the game is broken, but I was so close.

The atmosphere, however, is good.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic