Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:02:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSketchy Tower Defense
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sketchy Tower Defense  (Read 2705 times)
dafu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »

Hello, I'm a brand new tigsource member, you can find my introduction on the intro thread.

I'd like to drop a mention of my first finished/published game, Sketchy Tower Defense.

It was published on XBLA Indie Games (http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Sketchy-Tower-Defense/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585506f6) in November, and it's doing quite well.

I've toyed with game projects for a very long time, but this is the first time I've actually finished and polished one to the point where I could publish it. As many have found before, the final touches take most of the time!

I'm no artist, and I always find art to be a huge road block. I'm always on the look out for simple, yet effective art styles. For Sketchy TD I decided to go with a very simplistic art style inspired by games like "SketchFighter 4000 Alpha", that way I could create all the art content myself, and have a consistent style throughout the game. I'm quite happy with the end result.

Some tools/software used:
  • Zoom h4n digital sound recorder (I've recorded all the sounds myself, if that's not obvious when you play it)
  • Audacity for sound editing
  • GIMP and Paint.NET (I started with GIMP, but have since switched fully over to Paint.NET)
  • Wacom Intuous3 tablet
  • Visual Studio C# 2008 + XNA 3.0
  • Xbox360 Controller PC receiver
  • Xbox360 1080p TV and a SD TV (I had to redesign some of the GUI after testing on SD TV, it was unreadable)
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:38:06 AM »

hey Dafu,
I peer reviewed your game when it was going through - and really enjoyed it!

are you working on something else now that this is out?
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:09:21 AM »

I don't own an Xbox so I sadly can't give the game a try, but judging from the screenshots, I think you've really nailed the sketch style. I've seen games aiming for this aesthetic before, but you could always tell they were actually rendered graphics. Your screenshots actually look like a pad of paper with sketches on them. Awesome work! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Is there a trailer on YouTube or anywhere I can see? I'd love to see the game in motion.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
dafu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »

@floatstarpx Glad you enjoyed it. Yes I am tinkering with a new project that aims to be a cross between Minecraft (in terms of its engine, not gameplay) & Mariokart (the gameplay). I've got a couple week old video up at

. Right now I'm trying to integrate the JigLibX physics engine into it for some semi-realistic car physics. The key features of the game will be random race tracks in randomly generated terrain, and split screen offline multiplayer, targetting XBLIG and possibly PC. Once I have the car physics worked out I will start a new thread for this project.

@chrknudsen Yes there is a Sketchy Tower Defense video up at

wsworin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »

I like to look of your game! And good luck with your next, I hope your idea works out well.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic