Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:58:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhere do I host the demo of my game?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Where do I host the demo of my game?  (Read 5360 times)
Paul Fisch
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:23:04 AM »

It's about 53 megs and while I don't necessarily think there will be high demand, I want it to work if there is.

Also I don't really want to make them wait in a queue or anything.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:30:18 AM »

if there's not high demand, do dropbox. otherwise, buy webspace, preferably a cheap one like nearlyfreespeech.com. actually if you have any money at all, buy webspace, it's just really a lot more convenient. host-a-hosting is also an option.

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:59:32 AM »

FileFront and GameJolt are also good options.

True Valhalla
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:10:49 AM »

www.host-a.net has been reliable for since I can remember, strongly recommended.

edit: Oh they have a limit of 50mbs. Ah, I've heard a lot of recommendations for DropBox. Really, your own web space is probably a better idea tbh.
Booger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:43:56 AM »

To piggyback on the question, is there a professional torrent tracker site that's used for legitimate releases (i.e. not ad/spyware supported warez sites).  I'll be asking this very same question in a couple of months, this time with ~500mb file sizes.
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »

www.gamershell.com serves torrents as well as regular downloads.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »

I heard that Amazone's S3 is a good scalable solution for this. Did someone try it?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:01:19 AM »

Create profile of your game on indiedb.com and upload your demo there

namre
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:34:04 AM »

How about setting some money aside for webhosting? Aside from online storage of your games you could also place your own website there which can help in the promotion of your games. Think of it as an investment.

If you don't want to spend money, then I think IndieDB is a good place for your demo.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

I heard that Amazon's S3 is a good scalable solution for this. Did someone try it?

I use S3 as my main offsite backup solution. I'm pretty sure it would work well for demos too. In particular, if you don't get very much interest it will work out way cheaper than proper hosting since it costs less than $0.02 per gigabyte downloaded and a similar amount per month for storage.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »

Looks like a very good solution if you target a lot of downloads for cheap, without to worry about bandwidth limitations...

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »

i did some research some time ago  Smiley
http://www.pixelprospector.com/2010/02/free-file-hosting-for-your-games/

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
theatrus
Level 0

Boring Software Maker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »

S3 is the way to go, especially with their new free usage tier. I tend to avoid all of the "free" download sites since its more hassle to actually download something than it should be.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 01:56:28 AM »

If you can wait until the super bowl, Dreamhost will probably run their 777 deal again.  You can get your first year of hosting with them for ten bucks.  (Further years are $110 apiece, but it's worth it for one of the best-regarded hosting services.)

Also, whatever you do, I reccommend being very careful who you register your domain name with.  Preferably not your actual webhost; I reccommend signing up for a google apps site and manually reforwarding the DNS, but that gets a bit technical.

Oh, and if you're really in a pickle, I could host the file on one of my sites.  But I expect you'll be able to handle this one yourself.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 11:42:27 PM »

Wait holy crap dreamhost is doing the deal now

No catches on that one; a year of excellent hosting for $10.  Just make sure you turn off auto-renew so you don't get charged unexpectedly a year later.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »

Also, whatever you do, I reccommend being very careful who you register your domain name with.  Preferably not your actual webhost;

Why this?

Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »

Also, whatever you do, I reccommend being very careful who you register your domain name with.  Preferably not your actual webhost;

Why this?

I think it might be difficult to migrate such a domain to use another host?

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »

Depends on the host I guess. I've used three host until now, with domains on each of them. I recently (last year) move all my domains in the same host. The processes were automatised and only required some checks to be sure it's not domain stealing. Other than that I didn't have any problem. I even managed to point all my current domains to the same dedicated server that is not hosted by the company that host all the domains, making really easy to start any new website.
The hardest thing was to configure correctly the server...

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 03:15:40 PM »

If your deal with a webhost lapses, it can be hard to get at the domain name you registered through them.

Worse still, some of them rather unscrupulously make it near-impossible to take a domain with you when you go.  It's how they keep customers by force.  Of course, a nice company like Dreamhost generally won't pull this latter thing.  (I think)  But GoDaddy or iPower?  You bet your ass they will.

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »

How high are you thinking demand will be? I get like 2 TB of bandwidth a month and on average only end up using, like, a gig of it. I'd be happy to host if you need it.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic