Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 11:13:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationMinus [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Minus [FINISHED]  (Read 81517 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »

This is ridiculously fun for such a simple game.

increpare
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »

AH: fun!  Is there a reason you didn't use something like the thunder-cloud trail effect on normal clouds?

What trail effect exactly are you talking about? The little particles that float as you pass through a cloud? Those are in all clouds, stormy or not.
Yes, I noticed that when i started playing it again.  Me being inattentive  Roll Eyes 
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »

New version:

http://www.filedropper.com/minus_3

Changes: taller playing area for added visibility, pressing space on the title screen gives you a randomized seed.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2008, 03:16:07 AM »

Cute game Smiley

Made it to the top in 121 seconds... probably not that great, heh.

Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2008, 04:35:37 AM »

Great job, It's actually quite fun and challenging. The music kind of reminds me of Kansas - Dust in the wind".
     Also, if you want to add in a random factor, how about birds that fly across the screen, or rainfall. Maybe you could land on the birds and they would fly you a bit higher but then fly off the screen?

Film/TV/Game Composer
increpare
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2008, 04:53:22 AM »

Anyone come across any really bastardly levels yet?
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2008, 05:43:50 AM »

Very Nice! The lightening clouds are well telegraphed, so it's never unfair when you're hit.

My only bit of feedback is that it's a bit hard to tell how the combo mechanic works. I just keep hammering jump and *hope* it works, but I'm sure there's more to it than that.

increpare
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2008, 06:01:09 AM »

My only bit of feedback is that it's a bit hard to tell how the combo mechanic works. I just keep hammering jump and *hope* it works, but I'm sure there's more to it than that.
Yeah, I found that my best combos were in the cumulous clouds at the bottom where I could get a combo of about 10 by hitting z rapidly.  It's a good idea, but hard.  Maybe, once you get that sparkly trail, you could allow people to jump of the coronas of the clouds?  (just an idea: I'm not at all sure that it would work properly).
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2008, 06:38:53 AM »

I think comboing works by getting your second jump in before hitting the apex of your first, if that makes sense.
increpare
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »

I think comboing works by getting your second jump in before hitting the apex of your first, if that makes sense.
I figured that, but they seem to be quite awkward to get.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2008, 06:56:39 AM »

It took me a while to get used to it. I think it works like this:

- You have to make your second jump, as SlayerXL says, before you hit the apex of your jump; as soon as you start moving downward, the combo is lost.

- In order to jump, your feet have to be over the central white part of a cloud circle. This messes me up 'cause I'm so used to bullet hell shooters, where the important part of the player is right in the centre...

- I believe you can make a second jump at any time during your first jump, so long as your feet are over a cloud.

- When you hit the jump key mid-jump, it terminates you current jump, so you stop moving upward. So hammering the jump key works really well so long as you're moving over dense cloud, but as soon as the cloud starts getting sparser (about a third of the way up?) hammering the jump key just means you get stunted little jumps that don't take you high enough to proceed.

On the other hand, if you're low down on a largish cloud you can get a headstart on the combo by double-tapping the jump key, getting a second jump in off the same cloud, meaning you need to chain less to get invulnerability. Which is sometimes useful. ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
medieval
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »

That's awesome.

Also, does the rabbit eat the clouds?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2008, 08:15:35 AM »

On the other hand, if you're low down on a largish cloud you can get a headstart on the combo by double-tapping the jump key, getting a second jump in off the same cloud, meaning you need to chain less to get invulnerability. Which is sometimes useful. ;-)

That's actually a bug I'm gonna try and work on removing. Tongue

Glad to see so many people are playing it. I like the idea of rain, and if it's easy enough I'll try to implement until tonight, when I'll release the final competition build.

Did anyone happen to have performance issues while playing, or screen tearing?

I can understand why some people would have issues combo-jumping (maybe I should change that to chain-jumping?). Thing is, this isn't a shmup, it's a platformer, and in plaformers it's the character's feet which are important. Tongue I might make the jumping collision check a bit more lenient however.

I'll also be reworking how the secrets are spread in the seeds cause even I have difficulty finding them.

Keep sending the feedback! And I don't think he eats the clouds, but who knows. o.o

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2008, 09:09:09 AM »

Thing is, this isn't a shmup, it's a platformer, and in plaformers it's the character's feet which are important. Tongue

Oh yeah, I know. It wasn't a complaint, just noting that it was something that I have to concentrate on while playing, 'cause I'm used to the collision point of a sprite being in a different place.

At first I had a few cases of "jump... wait! Why couldn't I jump then? I don't understand this combo system..." and I think it was mostly down to misjudging which part of the character had to be over the cloud, so I figured it was worth pointing out. ;-)

Also: No performance trouble/screen-tearing or anything here.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »

Final competition version, unless someone finds any nasty little bugs.

http://www.filedropper.com/minusfinal

Changes: Secrets work better now and at least I can predict them Tongue, collision check for jumping is broader, so it should be easier to combo-jump, a slight graphical upgrade to one of the secrets.

Well, that's it, I guess. Really proud of this one, even though there's still stuff I want to do in it, but that's for another time. For now, enjoy. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:54:47 PM by Melly » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2008, 11:09:26 PM »

Awesome. Not much more to say.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2008, 11:17:49 PM »

This was really lovely! Thank you Smiley It reminds me of the best
Orisinal games: pure, simple, and dream-like.

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »

This game made me go hug my cat.

My cat thinks this is the best game ever.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »

Thanks for the compliment. Smiley I'm glad your cat enjoys it so much.

thewreck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »

lovely game! reminded me a bit of passage, and thats a huge compliment in my eyes.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic