Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:12:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsFirst HeavyBoat’s Game Jam
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First HeavyBoat’s Game Jam  (Read 5141 times)
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:57:08 AM »

This is the situation at HeavyBoat: Leo, our beloved artist, is away until Monday visiting his family in the far south end of the country and “The Moops: Combos of Joy” was 100% completed yesterday and it’s now resting on FGL awaiting for a caring parent to adopt it. It feels so sad and lonely here that we took the decision of making a small game during the next three days. And it started just now with a simple design.

Keep up with the process here! We’ll post updates every couple of hours. Remember that we are more human than game devs, so we sleep, this won’t be one of those 72 non-stop hours of game development, we will go back to relax, have a nice dinner, sleep and then commute back to the office to keep working.

The game is some kind of super uber casual RPG with a flocking behavior.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »

Update #1

After 3 hours of work we refined the idea, there are some ground rules at this point. Here you can control a swarm of minions that will go wherever you send them. We have the flocking mechanic working and lots of assets in place.

Play the test on our blog.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »

The map, note how our artist hand is missing. This game will be fill with designer’s art, you are under notice.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:18:45 PM »

Last update for today. It's alive!
Test it.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:22:15 AM »

We are back here and the prototype is coming to life, in a few hours you’ll be enjoying a battle like you never experienced before (not necessarily better).
The minions were supposed to level up but early today we decided against it. Since we want to maintain the game free of any kind of indicator, they will run and bite faster thanks to items dropped by enemies and structures destroyed. And that’s it.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:42:23 AM »

Game Jam Update #4

Bite, bite, bite. Now you can destroy almost everything in the world, one bite at a time. David is working on making it look good too.

Play it.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »

Game Jam Update #5

Let’s not stop at biting, now the flock is really kicking in.

Play!

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »

It’s time for some z sorting and a more “game like” prototype. And that’s it for today! 

Play!

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:41 AM »

Day 3 at HeavyBoat’s Game Jam
So, this is it. Today is the last day of development, here is the update.
Take a look

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »

More spam than jam, this is it!

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
joulimousis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »

Final thoughts on FlockRPG development

Last Friday we concluded our first HeavyBoat’s Game Jam, the result was a quite fun yet incomplete RPG. We succeeded at building a system instead of a game, focusing on mechanics and creating a new experience over pretty graphics and polished gameplay.
Design & Art by Juan
The basic gameplay came to me while riding my bicycle to the office on Wednesday, I was thinking about the upcoming game jam for a whole day, but it wasn’t until that last moment when a remote interesting interesting idea came to mind. It was a casual RPG with a flock mechanic. You control a flock of minions on their quest to increase the number of the horde, destroy everything, get bigger, stronger and faster.
I don’t like RPGs much for different reasons like the fact that I don’t know how to read, I never got to learn that skill and I’m too old to start now. As a result,  the game concept ended up being a RPG whiteout any sort of popup window or text.
Anyway, we started the project right away on Wednesday morning and by the end of three days we got a prototype that’s very similar to the original idea, which is strange and nice.
Making a game from scratch on such short time rewarded me with two things:
- Don’t think much about an idea, test it almost right away and it will show it strengths and weakness by itself.
- I’m pretty good at making art for our games, we are seriously thinking about ditching Leo.

Code by David
When you’re at a Jam you don’t have enough time to think on performance issues, you just want to try out new ideas and test out the ever changing gameplay. Flash seems to be an excellent choice for this kind of events, but is really not, Flash is one of those languages in which the coder needs to pay special attention to the code’s quality for the game to run smoothly. I didn’t have that time last week and that’s why the game needs almost your entire CPU.
The process itself was really interesting and I’m more than happy on how the flock feels.

Juan Becerril
www.heavyboat.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic