Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:30:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSociety [a retro inspired artsy game]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Society [a retro inspired artsy game]  (Read 1369 times)
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2011, 08:55:38 AM »

I released the official version of SOCIETY!

A society that doesn't grow is dead.
A society that doesn't progress is moving backwards.
A good society will never be stopped.

Features:
- randomly generated levels
- online high scores
- short levels that are perfect for a lunchtime break

Society is a retro styled art game that was made as a comment on how societies function.

If you played the older version, you'll find a couple of pretty big changes:
- I made the game run smoother.
- generally, the action is faster: you move faster and the timer runs quicker
- I made some small graphical changes

Give it a try at Newgrounds and leave some feedback please!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:35:08 AM by jrjellybeans » Logged

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »

Next you should make a game where Gerard Butler engages in gladiatorial combat against plot holes.

No one is going to get this joke.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »

Music's sorta fun.

Some of the elements (like text and movement) seem a little weird in how smooth they are, given the blocky graphics.

For some reason playing this it seems like in addition to clicking to move, I ought to be able to click and drag and the "go here" arrow will follow my mouse. It seems like that would do a lot to make the basic mechanics of playing the game more "fun".

The tutorial takes a *very* long time and there is no way to exit out of it if you decide it isn't worth it

Um, maybe I'll try this some more later. The thing of uncovering territory makes the game itself hold your attention. There doesn't seem to be a lot of depth to this, though, at least in the early levels.

One thing, I notice the followers don't really seem to "do" much, it's almost like they're just backup health tanks or something.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »

Next you should make a game where Gerard Butler engages in gladiatorial combat against plot holes.

I don't get it at all, actually...

As for the rest of your comments, it was made to be a pretty simple game - I wanted to make something in 4 days or so (it took me a lot longer than that, actually).  I just wanted to work on something nice and fun rather than the longer, drawn out games I seemed to have made in the past...

Thanks for giving it a play!

(Oh, and it is possible to exit the tutorial.  You just press Esc, Space, or Enter.  I'm a bit surprised that this would not be the common thing to do actually...)

I actually only came on to point out that the game was featured on the indiegames.com blog.  
You cannot imagine how happy that makes me Smiley

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:49:30 AM by jrjellybeans » Logged

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »

jrjellybeans, congrats.

shipwreck
Level 0

Run and shoot, shoot and run.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:21:43 AM »

Got around to playing this and I dig it! It's like a micro version of Civ or something.

Also added you on Facebook.
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »

I must admit that I am impressed, compared to your old games which tend to use the same generic formula this is a clever way and different way to present a game comming from you this is good : ), I hope you keep making interesting games, and not just plataformers :/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic