Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411995 Posts in 69442 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 17, 2024, 04:06:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationChaos Monster Melange
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chaos Monster Melange  (Read 3242 times)
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:25:51 PM »

I'll post my general idea as a placeholder, to see if I ever get it to actually work Tongue

I'm a big fan of Warning Forever for its series of bosses that get successively bigger and more dangerous in various ways depending on how you defeat them.  I also played a lot of World of Warcraft with its big dungeon bosses that required coordination and teamwork to defeat.  There's probably a good reason the two haven't been combined, but I'm going to do it anyway.

So the premise: player(s) run around in a sorta-randomly generated chamber, with a big "boss monster" in the middle.  The boss is assembled Frankenstein-style out of disparate body parts (skull head, robot legs, etc.)  Each body part has a special attack related to it.  You can attack a body part and eventually disable its special attack.  The boss is defeated when all body parts are disabled.  When you defeat a boss, the next boss is similar to its predecessor but has one or more body parts "upgraded".

Step one is to build a simple "boss skeleton" and attempt to map some simple shapes (boxes, ellipsoids) to each bone.  If that works it should be pretty easy to make a few simple body parts (arms, legs, head) and assemble the boss.  The method isn't that different from a typical game that lets you customize your avatar, so hopefully this whole thing will be straightforward...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic