Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:24:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHardware Shoppe
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hardware Shoppe  (Read 1066 times)
philquiet
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »

Hello!
I'm starting a fresh and new game project as my first solid developpement challenge
Here's the WIP game logo:

I'll copy/paste the blog post from my new website, philquiet.weebly.com

About my first game, "Hardware Shoppe"

There is a specific kind of daydream I often get myself into: I close my eyes and suddenly, I'm in a world where I know nobody, where everything is against me. I walk in some sort of snowy downtown, as a bum, without anything. Hopeless.

But then I decide to end the dream, because up to some point, everything become utterly ridiculous. You see, as my dream self, I soon make myself a computer from scrap hardware... then I hack me some money, invent a complete AI, spy on people with DIY nanotechnology, then do the craziest technological heists... By the time I get sick of daydreaming, I have a dream workshop and an army of robots. Some much for being hopeless...

Today I officially start working on my first solid video game project, based on my dystopian nerd fantaisies.

Hardware Shoppe will be a story-driven sandbox game where the player starts with nothing, then gradually gain ridiculous amount of technological power over those who control his life.

About the main character:

The first version of the character sheet:
click here to see the image

Joves Quiet is the name of the silent protagonist of the game. I made the character for an assignment as an animation student, and it soon became clear he would have a special place in my personal mythology, mostly as a kind of caricatural alter-ego of myself.

Joves is witty, cynical and socially challenged, but he is playful and sympathetic, as well as ridiculously resourceful. The perfect fantasy nerd!

Here's his first appearance as the protagonist of the aforementioned animation assignment (appearing after the villain):

Normally, my official devlog would be my blog, but I'll post here too... Since so far there's more traffic here, we can say it's the official here.   Grin

I know it's vague for now, but what do you think about the idea so far?

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »

I like the character art. It's oddly reminiscent of Schoolhouse Rock.

What do you intend on developing the game with?
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »

verymostexcellent character design !  Tiger

philquiet
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:44:50 AM »

What do you intend on developing the game with?

It's still blurry, but for the moment it will be made in C/C++ plus a ton of Lua scripting, and for the moment my library would be SDL.
Now I'm in a kind of "pre-production" where I'll clarify the game in paper, those having a better idea of my needs.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic