Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:19:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural Generationeveryone loves active 2 [finished]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: everyone loves active 2 [finished]  (Read 66757 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »

Me too, but I don't know about the awesomeness. I haven't tried Evereyday Shooter yet Sad

I've not either, but those screenshots are enough to give me awesome vibes. Tongue

Even if the one at the top of this page does begin to look like a London Underground map.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »

Whoa whoa now, everyday shooter?  You guys are my own personal PR department here. ;p

I should have something playable around monday.  I'm graduating college this weekend sooooo kinda busy :B
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »

I'm telling you chaps, Mojib-Ribbon.

This is a compliment.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 04:12:34 PM »

Whoa whoa now, everyday shooter?  You guys are my own personal PR department here. ;p

I should have something playable around monday.  I'm graduating college this weekend sooooo kinda busy :B

But we are an AWESOME PR department.

By the way, needs more Cave Story.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »

I should have something playable around monday.  I'm graduating college this weekend sooooo kinda busy  :B
Is that some kind of mutant two-tongued smiley right there?

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »

I should have something playable around monday.  I'm graduating college this weekend sooooo kinda busy  :B
Is that some kind of mutant two-tongued smiley right there?

No, its like nerdy buck teeth.  :D
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 07:39:47 PM »

I'm graduating college this weekend sooooo kinda busy :B

Hey, that's great! Congratulations, man Grin
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »

I'm graduating college this weekend sooooo kinda busy :B

Hey, that's great! Congratulations, man Grin

Ah, thank you!

Well, the dark deed is done.  I am done with college! (for now?)  So now, lets work more on this game.  So heres a quick status report.  I'm trying to make the game generate the enemies and background based on what you enter into the title screen.  But.. the issue is that I dont want all random numbers to be generated based on that seed... so I'm tinkering around in the ole multimedia fusion to get this working the way I want.

Some form of playable demo will appear when I feel like it will be good enough for the public eye Grin
Metroid48
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 08:16:42 PM »

This looks really good. Reminds me of Spheres of Chaos.

This is a lot better looking than Spheres of Chaos. That was your one stop trip to damaging your eyes! Huh?

Xerus, this looks fantastic! It'll be great to see the background painting in motion  Smiley
thief0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »

I see sex

just how, exactly?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 08:36:51 PM »

My sex detection abilities have been honed for many years. It's not something that can simply be told. It must be experienced.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »

Well, the dark deed is done.  I am done with college! (for now?)  So now, lets work more on this game.  So heres a quick status report.  I'm trying to make the game generate the enemies and background based on what you enter into the title screen.  But.. the issue is that I dont want all random numbers to be generated based on that seed... so I'm tinkering around in the ole multimedia fusion to get this working the way I want.
Congrats!

Does the procedural generation continue throughout the game, or just at the beginning? If it's just at the beginning, then you can probably get away with reseeding the random generator with the current time after generating what you want. If not, maybe you can use the built-in seeded random number generator for the procedural parts and MT Random Object (Mersenne Twister, I think it's in one of the bonus packs) for the non-seed-based random numbers.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 12:03:24 AM »

Congrats!

Does the procedural generation continue throughout the game, or just at the beginning? If it's just at the beginning, then you can probably get away with reseeding the random generator with the current time after generating what you want. If not, maybe you can use the built-in seeded random number generator for the procedural parts and MT Random Object (Mersenne Twister, I think it's in one of the bonus packs) for the non-seed-based random numbers.

Ah, this object seems interesting...

I actually started to pursue this a little, I'm using the random pool object now, but I think thats lagging the crap out of it.  Maybe I'll switch to this MT random thing instead.  I want the paint and the enemy patterns to be the same for each string, depending on how to player plays (I'll have to cap the amount of enemies on screen obviously, as things can get pretty intense.)
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 05:28:32 AM »

sex

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 12:09:08 AM »

Heres some progress, and a quick demo: here
LaughingCrow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 03:37:23 AM »

The demo is awesome  Shocked a bit laggy, but awesome nonetheless (maybe it's laggy cos my computer is ooooooooooooooooooold  :D)

I'm loving the engrish too

I entered different names at the start, even some random leters, and I've seen my colour and the background change, but have not seen any change in the enemy patterns

jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 05:45:15 AM »

sugary sweet!  it is a difficult game.  perhaps a bit too tough to see the shots at times,. they could have a more distictive look, flashing perhaps,.
also, fullscreen would be very nice,.  Wink it is small to see here. 
oh, and how about having it rememeber what you typed last time so you dont need to type every time you die., . great sounds too!  roc.

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 09:24:21 AM »

Enemy patterns should be the same for each string you can type in, I guess I'll have to look into that.  Keep in mind there are only two enemies for this little demo.

Making the player more visible is something that I found to be troublesome... I was thinking about giving it a glow of some sort, but I'm not sure if that will begin to lag poor old multimedia fusion more than necessary.

I'll make it remember the previous string inputted, and I'll add fullscreen.

Any other feedback is appreciated ;p

edit: I changed the current build (check the demo link at the beginning of the thread)
The string should now save
Fullscreen
I increased bullet speed by a lot, let me know what you think of it
Tried to make the player more visible
Fixed bug with string of block enemies always appearing on the upper right when the game started.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:59:42 AM by xerus » Logged
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »

update: (check first post for link to download)

changed the black and white strobing explosions to black and white flashes followed by yellow.

nobody should be having siezures, now.
medieval
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »

That's awesomesauce used the right way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic