Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:49:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural Generationeveryone loves active 2 [finished]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: everyone loves active 2 [finished]  (Read 66719 times)
13_11
Level 0

.:Robot Rokk:.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2008, 10:11:03 AM »

Another Grid Wars?
I say: why not!?

Im a fan of Xerus (Bonesaw - what a licking! and your concept art definetely worth a see). Reason im looking forward to your new project.

Conceptual thing about Active2 makes it quite a hardcore through; which is great. Also i really enjoy the oldskool kind of style - i would absolutely add some freaky funky music into it! As well as some heavy power-ups, just for the feeling of playing something big. Geometric patterns of Love are just fine (hearts beat my beat and squares do the rest). Maybe i would put more love out there (more motion, more patterns, blur?) Otherwise no complains so far.

Active2 looks like one of the sunniest / summeriest cocktail game in whole competition. And i do like cocktails.
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2008, 10:15:41 AM »

I really should start making the music.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »

Another Grid Wars?
I say: why not!?

Im a fan of Xerus (Bonesaw - what a licking! and your concept art definetely worth a see). Reason im looking forward to your new project.

Conceptual thing about Active2 makes it quite a hardcore through; which is great. Also i really enjoy the oldskool kind of style - i would absolutely add some freaky funky music into it! As well as some heavy power-ups, just for the feeling of playing something big. Geometric patterns of Love are just fine (hearts beat my beat and squares do the rest). Maybe i would put more love out there (more motion, more patterns, blur?) Otherwise no complains so far.

Active2 looks like one of the sunniest / summeriest cocktail game in whole competition. And i do like cocktails.

Hmm... power ups... yesss... *gets working on that*

I really should start making the music.

I actually put out a few requests for music.  First one to write some (or the best) wins! Grin
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2008, 07:07:26 PM »

Okay heres a new build: here

The high scores table doesnt work for some reason, so dont get your hopes up until the next build ;p

edit Don't hit spacebar, thats a debug key to spawn an enemy for now :B

post edit edit holy shit high scores work now.  current build is "build 8"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:45:24 PM by xerus » Logged
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »

Goodies! I won't rush then

13_11
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »

Is it just me that cannot run your new build?
"Cannot load LiveReceiver.mfx. This object might need an external program or library not yet installed." - it says.
gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »

Is it just me that cannot run your new build?
"Cannot load LiveReceiver.mfx. This object might need an external program or library not yet installed." - it says.

Why does MMF do stuff like this? Why? Cry

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »

Hmm... well, you have to be in Windows if you're trying to run it in a Mac with one of those fancy crossover programs.  If not, you might need to update DirectX or something? (the last time I had this problem, this is what fixed it.)

I'll have to pass this along to the extension developer and get back to you.  Sorry!
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »

As it goes - the last score I submitted didn't keep the seed it was generated with, which was... some random string of symbols which I've forgotten. But it was a random string of symbols!

EDIT: Also, I just got a "Multimedia Fusion has stopped working..." crash. At the time I was submitting a score with the same seed as an existing HST entry, but of course I have little idea whether that was what was responsible. 'Net connection was up and everything at the time, just that, WinRAR and Opera running.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:01:08 AM by Sar » Logged

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
13_11
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2008, 11:06:54 AM »

Because our Beloved Billy?

Sorry!
No sorry, no big deal! DirectX updated and still no change. Guess i should wait for another build. And in the meantime, im gonna prepare for my university exams.. or not.. cactus released two new games, ive heard...
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2008, 11:43:53 AM »

As it goes - the last score I submitted didn't keep the seed it was generated with, which was... some random string of symbols which I've forgotten. But it was a random string of symbols!

EDIT: Also, I just got a "Multimedia Fusion has stopped working..." crash. At the time I was submitting a score with the same seed as an existing HST entry, but of course I have little idea whether that was what was responsible. 'Net connection was up and everything at the time, just that, WinRAR and Opera running.

Regarding the symbols:  the php script as it stands right now dumps any characters that aren't 0-9 and A-Z.  Symbols and other mark up wont show up.

There shouldn't  be a problem with any duplicate entries into the score database, each entry has its own unique ID.  It may have just been my webhost crapping out temporarily, and then when the game didn't get any response it probably just froze up waiting for it.  This is the first time I've tried any online high scores, so I guess there's going to be some bumps along the way.

Because our Beloved Billy?

Sorry!
No sorry, no big deal! DirectX updated and still no change. Guess i should wait for another build. And in the meantime, im gonna prepare for my university exams.. or not.. cactus released two new games, ive heard...

That's very odd... what are your system specs?  And anyone else having this problem, system specs! :D
13_11
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2008, 12:45:52 PM »

Standard windows XP - SP2
Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz
3.5GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT - updated drivers, updated DirectX (today)

I think the bug wont be here, your 1st release worked pretty fine anyway; there is something wrong with my system library. And what the heck is LiveReceiver.mfx?? Absolutely no idea.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2008, 01:37:39 PM »

Standard windows XP - SP2
Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz
3.5GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT - updated drivers, updated DirectX (today)

I think the bug wont be here, your 1st release worked pretty fine anyway; there is something wrong with my system library. And what the heck is LiveReceiver.mfx?? Absolutely no idea.

LiveReceiver is an object in Multimedia Fusion that connects to a php script, and I use it to create the high scores table.  Your system seems normal, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

Are there any others having problems?
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2008, 02:33:36 PM »

Its been determined that you need this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en
installed for livereceiver to work correctly.  ... don't ask me.

Anyway, heres a new build for you suckas with some enhancements requested by Annabelle (although I dont think I really accomplished what she requested, it still looks cool.)

Download Build 9
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2008, 09:16:35 PM »

Alright, to keep bumping my own thread... Grin

I updated to build 10.  I'm trying to improve visibility without messing with the style of the game.  I added a glow and a flash to the main crosshair, a glow to the curving crosshair, and also increased the visibility of the lines that center on your active 2.

As for enemy fire, I changed the sprite slightly to look a little spikey but it was a little hard to modify a 8x8 sprite.

Another addition is a smaller hitbox for the player.  Now you have to take a hit to your center 4 (or so) pixels to die.

In the art side, the background now blurs and shakes with the camera, and smoke from killing enemies also ends up in the background as well.

Alright, give me some feedback tiggers :I

same download link, same bat channel.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:20:07 PM by xerus » Logged
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2008, 09:30:01 PM »

i really like it, i can survive slightly longer now!

which is saying a lot.

i still have got to believe in my heart that the 'tunnel blur scroll' effect has gotta be doable somehow.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2008, 09:49:32 PM »

I like your latest visibility updates. Definitely makes it easier to tell what's going on. I was able to survive up to seeing a few of the propeller-shaped enemies, while in the early builds, my lifespan was significantly shorter.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

quick question for those who have played:  you do know that you can move with WASD, right?

The first box on the title screen has "W A S D" on it, but some people I send the game to will say "Wow this game is hard I wish I could move" ... is it really that hard to understand?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2008, 11:06:46 PM »

Man, this game looks awesome.

I find it's really fun so far, though it requires a lot of focus.

Are you sure enemy bullets are always at the highest depth (always drawn on top of everything else)?

Also, is it me or do the enemy's explosions actually kill me?

Really fun, good job.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Corpus
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2008, 12:06:36 AM »

It's awesome! One problem: on most levels, there comes a point when I'm facing one of those shielded enemies, and there are no other enemies nearby I can blow up to defeat them, and I die helplessly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic