Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:19:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingIdeas For Fantasy Settings
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ideas For Fantasy Settings  (Read 12397 times)
Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »

I wont lie, i'm not the best writer in the world but I have been working on a System for a RPG and it got me wanting to Make a Fantasy game. I would have no issue, but ive never made a game with this setting, I mostly made Sci-fi Stories...

So I have Come to ask for some Ideas for a Story since im having writers block.(and a block in every other department)

What I can say is that its a turn based game like Final Fantasy. It dosent have Random encounters instead it has creatures you can run around like in the Tales Games and Eternal Sonata(Loved this game)

But Beyond that I'm stuck. I'm trying to avoid the Save the world from a Evil Thing. Any Suggestions would be appreciated, I just need a Push...

Jeez did I really sign up 6 years ago?

Still making games. One day i'll get something done.

Tools: PHP/JS/HTML5/Unity3D/C#/LibGDX/Gimp/Photoshop
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 12:03:36 AM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideogameSettings

have fun
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:42:22 AM »

Well thats these'll be pretty broad since I don't know anything about your game...

The hero is a mercenary and takes up whatever missions you want, rather than having to save the whole world.

The world is post-apocalypse, or no civilisation has ever been made. Thus the world has always been overrun with monsters, you wouldn't be saving anyone, just trying to get by.

Maybe the story could be about finding a nice place to live?

What if the world was safe, and monsters only exist in specially made dungeons. Dungeon crawling could be the national sport.
Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:57:45 AM »

You would know as much as I do since the only thing I have is a Framework for Moving and Talking to NPC's and Initiating Combat.

I personally Like the Last one, Kinda reminds me of Gladiator! I think I can roll with this. That has helped me Imensely! I think this will work.

I also like the Seccond one... I think both, its Post apocalypse.... that happened thousands of years ago, and you never knew... came to the planet through a magic portal that closed. now you have to survive until the portal re opens in a year. all the while discovering the fate of the People that were here.

the third one made me think of my friend Joe, who said my Game should be about a Sorority. and that The dungeons were like Frat Houses that you went to to pick up guys, and they guy hitting on you Offends you and you have to fight off the Guys to escape.

Or maybe you looking for the right House and the Dungeons are Cities and you have to Fight off Potential Buyers on the block before you can examine the house. Hahahaha

the first one would be good too DAMMIT! hahaha I like them all! The first one would be a lot like the Last one, but you would be raiding Dungeons for clients then as a Sport.

and I read through that Page and I LOVE it some of those themes are very fun, My next game is a Platformer and I will be coming Back to that page!

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »

There's a massive clock floating in space somewhere in the universe. The clock moves at any speed it wishes - sometimes a "day" lasts for less than a minute, sometimes for hundreds of thousands of years - but every time the clock strikes midnight, the universe is instantly destroyed and reset. Each new incarnation of the universe has a new potential for evolution and progress of life, but when the clock chooses to strike midnight, everything is brought to nothing.

In one incarnation of the universe, the clock is struck by a passing meteor, dislodging three gears and scattering them into space. The clock stops, and the end of the universe is held off. Of course, nobody is aware of the existence of this clock, save for the stars, who for our purposes are basically human.

Anyway, whoever has these gears has power, you've got one, bad guy has one, chase for the third one. You could replace the gears to keep them away from the evil forever, but in doing so you will once again condemn the universe you know to eventual destruction.
Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:38:32 AM »

As a friend once told me recently: "Breadpunk!"
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »

A while ago a friend of mine told me about his concept of a city run by the sheer physical labor of the poor. Day after day they work in lines, pushing massive wooden monoliths that when turned can lower or raise bridges, activate traps, and rotate sections of the city when necessary. He called this "slavepunk" and I'm still waiting to see him do something with it.
Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:23:34 AM »

As a friend once told me recently: "Breadpunk!"
Id have to think more about what that entails... Like is Cake, or Muffins, or Cupcakes, Bread? Since all of them Are made with Similar ingredients and prepared Similarly? And is it that Everything is Just Made of Bread? or is there more to it?

A while ago a friend of mine told me about his concept of a city run by the sheer physical labor of the poor. Day after day they work in lines, pushing massive wooden monoliths that when turned can lower or raise bridges, activate traps, and rotate sections of the city when necessary. He called this "slavepunk" and I'm still waiting to see him do something with it.

Its an interesting one to say the least, A good Idea would be maybe to Contrast that With a High Scociety that Feeds off the Labor. I totaly Picture Humans running in Hamster wheels Attached to Generators, in this dark Dirty environment, and the cables From the Generators run up through the Ground, into a Futuristic Looking house, to the TV, with some rich people watching it. or something.

There's a massive clock floating in space somewhere in the universe. The clock moves at any speed it wishes - sometimes a "day" lasts for less than a minute, sometimes for hundreds of thousands of years - but every time the clock strikes midnight, the universe is instantly destroyed and reset. Each new incarnation of the universe has a new potential for evolution and progress of life, but when the clock chooses to strike midnight, everything is brought to nothing.

In one incarnation of the universe, the clock is struck by a passing meteor, dislodging three gears and scattering them into space. The clock stops, and the end of the universe is held off. Of course, nobody is aware of the existence of this clock, save for the stars, who for our purposes are basically human.

Anyway, whoever has these gears has power, you've got one, bad guy has one, chase for the third one. You could replace the gears to keep them away from the evil forever, but in doing so you will once again condemn the universe you know to eventual destruction.

I wrote a Design Document for a game that this reminds me of, The best part of the gameplay was that How you played Determined the "ending" as you chould choose between 3 forms. Combat Stealth and Gun. these would play Like a Hack and slash, A Stealth Game, and a third person Shooter, respectivly. and you can switch Freely. How you Progress would affect the story as well as your Dialouge choices.

Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »

@JayPC: It's up to you man, the way I see it it's a world where technology advanced in a way to utilize baked goods. Maybe bread and stuff is used by the good guys, but pastries are unstable and violent and lead towards evil. Imagine giant dirigibles made out of wheat with baguette missiles. In the lower wards the proletariat can only afford to use the lowly wonderbread lines that run deep within the city.

In the highest echelons the upper-class look down their rye bread towers, distracted by a horrible class war orchestrated by the Lawson Muffin Gang from the shadows. Only you, armed with an experimental new weapon: the toaster displacement gun, can solve this problem and bring peace to Pumpernickel city and win the heart of the worker girl at the bagel repair shop.

Will you fight the good fight and find yourself amongst other great bread luminaries such as Sourdough Huxley and Right Hand Roti, or will you turn to the darkside and consume power doing jobs for the Cherry Pie Sisters or the Apple Tart Six? Only time will tell.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:01:10 PM by Ixis » Logged
N'graugt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »

Alright, I'll pitch an idea.

You are an Ork. Green skin, yellow horns, hatred of everything to ever walk the surface of the planet (including your fellow Orks). You want to live a nice, simple life of a baker, not a barbarian, but the humans and elves are dicks and keep taking what you make (maybe as payback? Doesn't matter, you worked for that shit). Pissed, you retaliate with naught but the furs on your back and your trusty club. Throughout the course of the story, you invent baseball (Smack rocks with your club to make up for not knowing how to use a bow), smack the shit out of elves (Who likes those guys anyway?), and outright pioneer through the story as a berserker.

The story would rely heavily on Rule Zero, in that if violence isn't the answer, you clearly aren't using enough of it. Smash bandits. Vandalize churches. Take a wizz on a throne or two. Use a dwarf as a footstool. Whatever floats your boat, and keeps it afloat.

Maybe even use a breadstick as a replacement for a club. Cook muffin grenades. Nothing quite says "BOOM" quite like a bran muffin explosive. Give the Ork a chef's hat, too. Maybe replace the furs with an apron that reads "Kiss the mook".
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »

Usually the safest thing to do when you don't want to tell a 'save the world' story is to personalize your scope. I'm going to suggest a few ideas, and then since I know you guys love to get weird with game premises, surrealize them.

The Orphean story is a good one. Travel to the underworld to bring someone you love back. This could be your favorite deli owner, as his sandwiches are worth braving death over.

The Pilgrimage tends to be underused. What if you're an errant German knight in the middle ages wandering to a sacred chapel for absolution? Or a nutso Otaku, on a sacred voyage through feudal Japan to get a Shogun's autograph, not realizing that real samurai are nothing like his little cartoons.

Or you can reduce the 'World' to a single village. Subdue the anger of the mighty tiki volcano god with a magnanimous dance-off.

Vengeance is a good one too. What if your game starts off with a Minecraft/Sims minigame for about half an hour of content? Then suddenly a bad guy shows up and destroys everything you've made?  Gameplay shifts to be action/platformer as you hunt down a jackass.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Tiderion
Level 0

Game Writer/Designer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »

You can always go the bold route and try to make a better version of a bad idea.

In this case, use the Waterworld scenario wherein the world is covered with water rather than land. Small floating cities and ships are what is left of civilization. So your map is not always accurate because everyone is moving around. You have to recruit people for your crew and upgrade your boat with stuff you find, buy, or steal.

And then you beat up Kevin Costner, or whatever.
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »

Wind waker is everything water world should have been and more?

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Tiderion
Level 0

Game Writer/Designer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »

Wind waker is everything water world should have been and more?
HEY LISTEN!

BEAT UP KEVIN COSTNER!

Durr...?
uTanks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 02:50:50 AM »

A story I started writing a year or so ago but left in the drawer:

Imagine a mix of North America pre-colonization and very concentrated 19th century technology. The main character, a girl in her early twenties, is part of a nomadic plains people. She is, for whatever reason, extremely skilled in hunting game with a/various primitive weapon(s) (bow and arrow, crossbow perhaps, knife, spear anything that has practical hunting purpose). Somehow, she is separated from her tribe and encounters a boy (late teens) sleeping in a cave.

The boy is dressed in clothing unique only to the City, a place with high walls nestled deep in the southern mountains. In this world, firearms are a rare commodity, but they do exist in the City. No one on the lower plains knows much besides legends that stem from the City's history.

At first, she is very hostile towards the boy. This girl is rough, fierce, logically uncompromising. She has learned to use every part of a situation to her advantage, and is very clever in the means she uses to accomplish her goals. The boy has a young face despite his late teen age. He is polished and refined, but terrified out of his mind when she comes across him.

I don't want to write it for you, but that's the entire setting I was using. I like to leave reasons for certain happenings for later discovery or reader interpretation (think Cormac McCarthy's The Road). I actually had FF in mind when writing this story. I was kind of building character stereotypes to fit into this model. Good luck! Keep me updated on your storyline progress!

Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 01:10:55 AM »

Maybe even use a breadstick as a replacement for a club. Cook muffin grenades. Nothing quite says "BOOM" quite like a bran muffin explosive. Give the Ork a chef's hat, too. Maybe replace the furs with an apron that reads "Kiss the mook".

I'm totally Imagining this right now, Its Super Funny Looking! Im imagining Duke Nukem Meets Lord of the Rings, in that breadpunk world mentioned earlier.

In this case, use the Waterworld scenario wherein the world is covered with water rather than land. Small floating cities and ships are what is left of civilization. So your map is not always accurate because everyone is moving around. You have to recruit people for your crew and upgrade your boat with stuff you find, buy, or steal.

Im Really Liking this Idea, I've been working on Village-City Sized Developments. This is Definitely one I have to look into Doesn't Quite fit the original Game play Exactly. But I think it can be done.

And then you beat up Kevin Costner, or whatever.

Id have to stick this in somewhere... It would be too good to pass up.

Usually the safest thing to do when you don't want to tell a 'save the world' story is to personalize your scope. I'm going to suggest a few ideas, and then since I know you guys love to get weird with game premises, surrealize them.

I like your Ideas, I was only trying to avoid a linear story as The Game has a completely open world with various dungeons. Orphan story would work for this, Your (Close Relative?) is trapped in a Magicly Sealed Prison Deep in the (Dungeon? Crypt? Castle?) And in order to break the Seal you must find the Enchanted Keys. These are located in Different places around the world map like Dungeons and Enchanted Forests.

At first, she is very hostile towards the boy. This girl is rough, fierce, logically uncompromising. She has learned to use every part of a situation to her advantage, and is very clever in the means she uses to accomplish her goals. The boy has a young face despite his late teen age. He is polished and refined, but terrified out of his mind when she comes across him.

I like the characterization and character relationship. Nomads are always fun. I may play with this. this would be one Id wait till I could make a first person 3D game though.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »

I had this idea a while ago. You were a fantasy town blacksmith. And you explored a world to get ingredients to build new swords. There was no combat just running around to get what was needed. The hero would come and buy your sword to defeat the dragon. Here is the kicker. You are the dragon. You made a big metal dragon mech. To attract heels to boost the local economy so you equip them then
 fight them.

Snowdrama
Level 1

It, Happens...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »

I had this idea a while ago. You were a fantasy town blacksmith. And you explored a world to get ingredients to build new swords. There was no combat just running around to get what was needed. The hero would come and buy your sword to defeat the dragon. Here is the kicker. You are the dragon. You made a big metal dragon mech. To attract heels to boost the local economy so you equip them then
 fight them.

If you keep making the same sword over and over again the hero will find a new Blacksmith. so you need to keep making adjustments to make the sword slightly better then before.

on top of that, you need to Keep upgrading and repairing the dragon without anyone noticing. if you dont then the hero(s) will kill the dragon and find out your a hoax.

Its a never ending battle against yourself!!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »

this was my exact idea. I also thought you could have competing blacksmiths move in to the town and you could attack them as your dragon and steal their stuff to resell.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic