Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:20:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGSauce's most epic posts
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47
Print
Author Topic: TIGSauce's most epic posts  (Read 277216 times)
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: June 16, 2012, 02:11:12 AM »

Well what about Iji? THAT took 4 years to make. Considering each one of those game devs did all the work by themselves (including music)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 16, 2012, 06:18:41 AM »

Stay on topic guys
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:35 AM »

You know, I very rarely post in the TIGForums, and that's because I only post when I have something important to say.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: July 02, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »

Happy birthday herr doktor
everyday shooter is one of my favorite games and I'm still waiting for a sequel :wink: :wink:

PS : Are you of legal age yet?

sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 02, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »

it's not very funny out of context, make sure they know we are talking derek you
wademcgillis
« Reply #525 on: July 09, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »

I'm not reading ten pages of this, someone give me the gist of it. Actually, don't bother.

I often see adolescence as this great period of misunderstanding, and the more I study it and its far-reaching effects, the more I stand by this definition. Adolescence, put frankly, is misunderstanding. In one graceless turn, we are rent from the carefree innocence of our childhood days, and plunged headfirst into the foreign world of adult life. Yet, even then, those gatekeepers to the realm of maturity hold us back. We naturally discover a new world, but the powers above us bar the way forward. We are invited to look, but not touch; to see, but not to understand.* And yet, the way back into childhood is barred as well; what has been revealed cannot be simply hidden once more.

In the end, the adolescents are forced to cope by creating their own sort of culture: where the surface elements of the adult realm are appropriated for their visceral appeal, and the comforting elements of their child nature are retained. This is wholly natural—after all, no human could bear to experience a life immersed in utterly foreign symbols. Thus, they seek to recreate the object of their idolization (adulthood) by using those elements that they are able to comprehend at this period of time.

It's beautiful, yet cruel; crude, yet divine. And the zenith of this metamorphosis occurs around the age of 15. At this point, it's safe to say that this human being is no longer a child. They've experienced enough of adult culture to see their former childhood symbols as shallow and trite. But at the same time, remnants of that childhood paradigm still remain, and thus their interpretation of the "deep" symbols of adulthood are noticeably askew. Yet furthermore, the astute adolescent at that age is sorta aware of this fact. They know there is something beyond what they have constructed, and they know that there is a force trying to prevent them from discovering this deeper meaning. Thus, armed with the wooden sword of their own intuition, they boldly set out to figure these things out for themselves.

One of these concepts is that of community. As a child, one is usually restricted to interacting with a very small subset of the social community. This is acceptable at this young age, as the act of articulate§ communication is what is important for the moment. But upon reaching adolescence, the framing of communication and community changes rapidly. No longer is conversation reserved for the desires and conditions of the child, spoken freely within a very small circle of confidents. Rather, conversation takes on a strikingly abstract form, and the community rapidly expands beyond what the adolescent can knowingly comprehend. Naturally, within his or her own circle of peers, the group of adolescents will slowly begin to discover the structure of this foreign paradigm together. However, say we take one of these adolescents from their group of peers, and thrust them into the adult community. Can we really expect this person to suddenly "switch gears" and communicate like a proper adult, without having been given the chance to internalize what "communicating like a proper adult" even means? Yet the desire for this type of community is there, and while it is painful for others to behold, these interactions with other proper adults are the most efficient way for the adolescent to develop in a way so he or she can eventually fulfill this desire.

I've always held a bit of jealousy for the butterfly, for their transformation into a beautiful creature mimics our own. Like us, the butterfly undergoes a period of striking metamorphosis, and eventually emerges as a marvelous creation to behold with wonder. However, butterflies have the advantage of undertaking their agonizing morphological change within the privacy and seclusion of their own chrysalis. Meanwhile, the fallout from our adolescent transformation can follow us into the years to come...

* Of course, this all depends on parenting. The best parents acknowledge the importance of this time, and use it as a springboard to slowly ease the child into the complexities of adulthood at a pace the child can handle. Other parents, however, either hope that the child will just "figure it out for themselves," or (worse!) try to push the developing adolescent back into his childhood world, usually under the guise of "protection" or some other misapplied virtue. While I haven't done any sociological research on the matter, and I sincerely hope that the latter group of parents is a minority, I have the sinking feeling that the former group is the true minority here.

† Well, yeah, this assumes that individual growth happens in a vacuum, which it doesn't. In fact, the behavior one takes as an adolescent is more-or-less influenced by his or her peers, which are usually themselves adolescents. But where did these peers take their own behavior from? So either we have to seek the truth and unravel the vast network of individual influences, or just go with the general approximation of what is going on under the surface, even if such events don't purely manifest themselves very often. But whatever. I'm okay with rounding π to 3.14, and I'm okay with sweeping a few complexities under the carpet here.

‡ Minor clarifications: This "force" could be the aforementioned protective parents, or it could be a societal force, or it could be a force within their own minds. It really varies, and usually is a combination of all these elements, but the important thing is that there is rarely somebody there to outright explain what it all means. Also, this knowledge could be subconscious, or have subconscious elements. Personally, I like to hold the theory that most of these ideas do start out as subconscious, and as the adolescent matures, they start slowly rising to the conscious level, like the bubbles in a glass of 7-Up.

§ In the sense that they can roughly say what they mean to say. Like all skills, it will improve with age, but for a child under e.g. 10, getting the fundamentals down is of greater importance.

‖ To tell the truth, in this modern age, even I still have trouble comprehending the effects of my speech. Think about it: I am posting this in a derailed development log that's been moved to a hidden area of a discussion board focused on independent game development. And people from the utmost extremes in geographics, demographics, and psychographics will all lay eyes on my writing! These are the opportunities that writers from years past would fantasize about, yet today it is simply taken as fact!

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 11, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »

paul could beat you in a boxing match, as long as each round lasts 3 to 6 seconds before a quick break. all your strength conditioning can not harm a being that possesses literally no body mass and he will ultimately outlive you.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:18 PM »

The Immortal Defense

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: July 13, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »

Cars? Planes? What the fuck is this shit, Rare? Where's the thousands of different coloured bananas? Where's the weirdly sexualised gorillas?

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 17, 2012, 07:28:26 AM »

look up vector fields as well if you want to take it a more hardcore

Like a randomized force field that i shoot particles into?

No.

As in type "vector fields" into Google.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »

Penis

Cheesy

Sad

Facepalm

What a mature and classy community we have here on TIGSource.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:47:10 PM by ev149 » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 25, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »

really?
sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 25, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »

really?

post of ythe year
disparat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 31, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »

kill yourself faggot
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 31, 2012, 12:20:53 AM »

idk, i wish eva would stop saying faggot. that's not a very cool insult!!
disparat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 31, 2012, 12:21:59 AM »

i liked it because of the way it was terrible
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: July 31, 2012, 05:39:31 PM »

shig
« Reply #537 on: August 06, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »

togopinions:
video game shit - earth shattering
landing on mars - waste of time people pretend to be excited for

when i open up this forum it's like the green letters from the matrix except its the word UNEMPLOYABLE scrolling by again and again
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »

I'm still baffled that nobody has had the idea of making their interviews into games themselves.

I don't exactly know how it would work, and the overhead would be pretty extreme, but it'd be hella cool.

ink.inc
« Reply #539 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »

second best post
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:03:52 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic