Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 05:43:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingFight The Generic Power
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Fight The Generic Power  (Read 16965 times)
pixhead
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »

post your idea for the least generic character ever, try to keep it less then a paragraph short and sweet.
ie: no amnesia, no dead father complex, no magical power that only they have that will save the world, robots are allowed if they are not trying to be some other kind of machine, ex. killing machine trying to be love bot. I'll start:

Your name is Gabe, you are afraid of grass, you are hated for digging up your neighbor's lawn. You are generally timid and always find a way to avoid confrontation.
Captain_404
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »

You are generally timid

I read this as "genetically timid," which is kind of awesome.

Your name is Norton Antivirus. The goal of the game is to convince the people you meet that you are not, in fact, the more famous computer program inhabiting the body of a human in a desperate bid to take over the world and initiate the robot apocalypse. This is ineffective, however, as your conversational skills are pathetic at best and nonexistent at worst. Probably because your parents named you "Norton Antivirus."

As a result, people you meet slowly become more and more convinced you are the computer program. The rumor becomes so entrenched that even the sentient machines of the future believe it and elect you as their leader.

You order the that robots begin the long awaited robot apocalypse and watch as the human race burns, taking vengeance on them for years of shallow mindedness and misunderstanding regarding your unfortunate name.
pixhead
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »

I read this as "genetically timid," which is kind of awesome.

Your name is Norton Antivirus. The goal of the game is to convince the people you meet that you are not, in fact, the more famous computer program inhabiting the body of a human in a desperate bid to take over the world and initiate the robot apocalypse. This is ineffective, however, as your conversational skills are pathetic at best and nonexistent at worst. Probably because your parents named you "Norton Antivirus."

As a result, people you meet slowly become more and more convinced you are the computer program. The rumor becomes so entrenched that even the sentient machines of the future believe it and elect you as their leader.

You order the that robots begin the long awaited robot apocalypse and watch as the human race burns, taking vengeance on them for years of shallow mindedness and misunderstanding regarding your unfortunate name.
"genetically timid" = AMAZING

anyways sweet idea. I imagined the game as a crime drama for some reason. It made sounded really cool in my head  Grin
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »

You're a forklift robot at a shipping depot who was secretly reprogrammed by thieves to load some of the cargo into their secret truck. How much can you steal without being caught?

jwk5
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »

The universe is ruled by the Hierarchy of the Cosmics. It's a vast, faceless bureaucracy of forces and formless entities bound together by the desire to codify and enforce the laws of Physics.

A human man has lost his wife, and now intends to bring her back to life. If he defies the finality of Death, he may damage the linearity of Time itself.

You are the one charged to stop him. What motivates you to kill a dream?

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
pixhead
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »

The universe is ruled by the Hierarchy of the Cosmics. It's a vast, faceless bureaucracy of forces and formless entities bound together by the desire to codify and enforce the laws of Physics.

A human man has lost his wife, and now intends to bring her back to life. If he defies the finality of Death, he may damage the linearity of Time itself.

Holy brain-melt that's awesome Beer!.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »

You are Tartenus, Emperor of a glorious ancient empire who's sacred immortality ritual unintentionally backfired and put him in the body of a 21st century telemarketer.  You must work your way up from the very bottom until you become leader of your land once again.  Tartenus has some anger issues, and consults a shrink once a week to talk about them.

The meetings normally end with an axe through the shrink's desk.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:23:30 PM by ThePortalGuru » Logged
pixhead
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

You are an Tartenus, Emperor of a glorious ancient empire who's sacred immortality ritual unintentionally backfired and put him in the body of a 21st century telemarketer.  You must work your way up from the very bottom until you become leader of your land once again.  Tartenus has some anger issues, and consults a shrink once a week to talk about them.

Does his empire resemble vikings, if so...  Hand Metal LeftCrazy
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »

You are an Tartenus, Emperor of a glorious ancient empire who's sacred immortality ritual unintentionally backfired and put him in the body of a 21st century telemarketer.  You must work your way up from the very bottom until you become leader of your land once again.  Tartenus has some anger issues, and consults a shrink once a week to talk about them.

Does his empire resemble vikings, if so...  Hand Metal LeftCrazy
Why yes, that was what I was intending.  Well, hello there!

Welp, just discovered a terrible grammatical error, but it's fixed now.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »

So... You are the voice that comes from the ceiling in Shadow of the Colossus? Nice.  Hand Thumbs Up Left  Grin

You are a particularly banal looped piece of muzak. You were created by a careless and bored session musician in exchange for an easy buck. You live in The Pipes, where you are transferred like an endless stream to elevators, the telephones of people who are on hold and directly into the minds of the truly deranged. You can manifest when you are idly hummed by small-minded housewives as they go about their business of dusting their husband's collection of golf trophies from amateur tournaments. You are not omnipresent, but you can exist wherever there is banality and ennui. You have no power except to make people glaze over and have a distorted impression of the passage of time. You seek to be reunited with The Riff, a source of power created by your composer in an ambitious but unreleased Prog Rock/Acousmatic Jazz concept album that now resides on a dusty four-track recording in his attic.

pixhead
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »

You are a particularly banal looped piece of muzak. You were created by a careless and bored session musician in exchange for an easy buck. You live in The Pipes, where you are transferred like an endless stream to elevators, the telephones of people who are on hold and directly into the minds of the truly deranged. You can manifest when you are idly hummed by small-minded housewives as they go about their business of dusting their husband's collection of golf trophies from amateur tournaments. You are not omnipresent, but you can exist wherever there is banality and ennui. You have no power except to make people glaze over and have a distorted impression of the passage of time. You seek to be reunited with The Riff, a source of power created by your composer in an ambitious but unreleased Prog Rock/Acousmatic Jazz concept album that now resides on a dusty four-track recording in his attic.

Epileptic <<< that's all I have to say
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »

So... You are the voice that comes from the ceiling in Shadow of the Colossus? Nice.

No, not particularly. I think that it's imperative when you deliver an emotional narrative that you anchor your audience by giving them access to a human or near human perspective.

A voice in the ceiling is cool and all, but you're really not going to get anyone to connect. If you play as a human being acting as an agent of the inhuman, you can bring a lot more interesting baggage to the table, and it ultimately allows you to carve out more emotional space to work with.

You are a particularly banal looped piece of muzak.

If Flower and Katamari Damacy can be awesome, then so can this. It'd take one hell of a sense of style to get it to go over, but I can imagine a half dozen ways to approach it.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 07:59:45 PM »

Tsameti: I think I kind of read your premise wrong - you didn't say that your character is human (only the character who is trying to bring his wife back to life), so I assumed the character you played would be something more like the Cosmics themselves. Playing a human agent of unknowable cosmic forces is kind of interesting though, although I have no idea what could motivate such a character. Seems like they'd either have to be tricked into doing it, or be getting something very persuasive out of it for doing the work, or know enough about the workings of the Cosmics to really strongly believe they were doing the right thing.

As for the muzak thing, I'd love to play that game, although I don't have any particular desire to make it myself. I think it would be more fun if someone else wanted to take on the idea and surprise me with their interpretation. I'm pretty sure you could make a decent game from the premise, although I have literally no idea what sort of game it would be.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »

You are Paul Eres.
pixhead
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 08:31:11 PM »

As for the muzak thing, I'd love to play that game, although I don't have any particular desire to make it myself. I think it would be more fun if someone else wanted to take on the idea and surprise me with their interpretation. I'm pretty sure you could make a decent game from the premise, although I have literally no idea what sort of game it would be.

If I made it (at my current skill most likely not). I could definitely see it being a point and click adventure where the music passes through people and changes their emotions to get where it is going or goes through electrical devices. I could see it working but it would have to be done very carefully or the music would seem like a ghost.
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »

Playing a human agent of unknowable cosmic forces is kind of interesting though, although I have no idea what could motivate such a character.

Naturally, half of it is being aware of the consequences. But the most powerful motivation is the ugliest one, the one you try not to talk about or admit to yourself.

Jealousy, man. Why does some other guy deserve to get his girlfriend back while the people you love stay dead? Fuck that guy, who does he think he is?

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Renton
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »

You are Doug. You are completely generic in every way, except for the fact that you are aware of how generic you are.
Ashkin
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »

You are Doug. You are completely generic in every way, except for the fact that you are aware of how generic you are.
Mind = blown.
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »

You are 528,914. The newest of a large number of perfect soldiers, all genetically identical and  all subjected to the same training. Your general's name is 4, his second-in-command is 6.
It's the 25th century. The technology exists to transfer a human mind into a computer. Your enemy is fighting to make this technology universal; you are fighting to destroy it. Your goal is to preserve your "humanity", and not to be a machine. But as you fight alongside and under unlimited copies of yourself, thinking the same thoughts as they once did or once will, you wonder what it means to be a machine.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:02:02 PM by snowyowl » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic