Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:04:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsPortfoliosWriter/Desinger searching for a small team
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writer/Desinger searching for a small team  (Read 1770 times)
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »

Introduction:

Hey whats up everyone the name is Daye Williams. I'm a writer & designer from New York. Right now I'm looking to join a small team for experience. I can understand why your very critical & know that I have to bring more to the table than simple designing. I'm an author; I've hand written, edited & self-published my 1st novel when I was 18. I not only write Design Docs & high concepts concepts, but expand upon designing characters, weapons, monsters, levels, worlds, & other entities.

Right now I'm studying Film Production. I'm prominent in Cinematography & great with "Mise En Scene" so I know the abstract ideas of designing levels & putting elements into frame providing challenging & exciting gameplay . I'm great with designing the look & feel with knowledge about Lighting & Space also Proximity. I apply this to Game Design because they go hand in hand. I also design clever aesthetics for the art & programming.

Writing my book, I'd hand written in a notebook first (my hand hurt so much!! lol) about 100 pages worth (wrote on the back of pages too). With that I can sit down & write long & treacherous Design Docs, as well as scripts for dialog, etc. Though I will never hand write again lol! (well the concept stages, yeah)

I studied Narrative theory, so understand; Exposition, Plots, Conventions, Characters, Heroes, Villains, Resolutions. I'm a powerful storyteller, with influence from; Surrealism, Expressionism, the Human Condition & the human suffering. Very universal in all mediums of art, I can be very dark & graphic in my stories or write about the deep depths of love or something dark & graphic (lol)

A majorly huge Legend of Zelda fan, I'm all about designing systems; gameplay & concrete mechanics. I know making a stable & addictive game is always 1st priority & should give the player something to remember from the art, feel & design of the whole project.

Portfolio:
Here is my portfolio, http://jupiterseaport.tumblr.com/ . Still under construction, I will put some flow charts & some models along with charts with mock spells, weapons & counters other figures. Please read "FANTASM" i consider it one of my best writings because it was the start of when I changed my outlook on writing. I was really formal but I woke up & decided to break the rules & learned there aren't any when it comes to Art.

Compensation:

Honestly I'm really working for free here but money is so tight & I've been trying to find a job as a QA Tester here in the city & it's been so ridiculous...really...its been cold. I'm struggling as an artist & student, I'm on different game blogs everyday, learning, from development to business. It hurts not being apart of the industry but I will never complain only fight the anxiety. So if your feeling generous, a small compensation can be negotiated.

Email;

You can email me @ [email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks for the consideration

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:16:13 PM by Purple_Hair_Link » Logged

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »

The number of typographic/grammatical/punctuation errors in that write-up would make a potential contractor feel shaky about taking you onboard.

It'd be a good idea to actually read over what you've written before posting anything, especially if what you're advertising is your ability to write.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:27:25 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:16:55 PM »

edited.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 03:15:56 AM »

To be frank, you're part of a class of people who have a dreadfully rough time getting into game dev.  Indie game development being a practice defined by creative freedom rather than management, a standalone designer looking for a team can be a bit like that silly image wherein an unemployed CEO is looking for work.

Essentially, almost anyone who gravitates toward the indie community is someone who wants to pursue ideas they've come up with themselves or with a partner.  Most independent developers have a practical skill to bring to the table in addition to some level of design sense.  The idea of a team member lacking the practical contribution--having the exclusive role of "designer"--is, to these people, something to be wary of: it implies that one team member controls the design of the game, whereas small-team projects are typically designed collaboratively.

People who have been in the community for a while are wary for a different reason: "fulltime" designers design a game exclusively, doing only conceptual work.  But, because of the scarcity of resources within which indie developers operate, even teams without designated designers often fall into the trap of over-designing a game and never coming anywhere near completing it.  Such endeavors can cost years of valuable time for the starting indie.

Essentially, my stern recommendation is that you develop skills in art, programming or music if you want to team up.  Alternately, get competent at all three and produce games on your own as a jack-of-all-trades.  Or, write interactive fiction.  (Inform 7 is A-MAZ-ING)  Any of these three are quite possible and not too difficult given time and a little dedication.

Anyway.  This might all sound a bit harsh, but it's not actually directed at you specifically; I'm writing this with repeated use in mind.  Again, there's a whole class of rather unfortunate indies of which you're a part.  You'll need to claw your way out of the 'designer' pit unless you either get very lucky finding teammates or plan on going industry.

(And for the love of god don't dream of making an MMO with a team of greenhorn game devs.  Not to imply you were, but it happens.)

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic