Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:11:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDesi Leaves Town (Now available for all iOS devices!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Desi Leaves Town (Now available for all iOS devices!)  (Read 20706 times)
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »

Any chance this game ever sees a non i-platform?

What platforms do you have in mind?
PC, mainly. You'd get a far larger audience this way as well.

CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

Any chance this game ever sees a non i-platform?

What platforms do you have in mind?
PC, mainly. You'd get a far larger audience this way as well.

True, but I wonder if most of them would be pirates.   Giggle

But outside of that I am not against doing something for PC, we just do not have anyone on our team to do it. All of us are iOS, OSX centric.

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »

Wow, this is looking absolutely fantastic! The voice acting sounds great, and totally fits the character. I love the watercolor backgrounds and distinct art style.
Best of luck with this wonderful project.  Grin

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »

True, but I wonder if most of them would be pirates.   Giggle

But outside of that I am not against doing something for PC, we just do not have anyone on our team to do it. All of us are iOS, OSX centric.
I'm a PC user and I'd buy a copy. Tongue:handmoneyR:

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »

Hopefully we can sort out a PC version somehow. Either along with the other versions launcher, or soon after as a port if we generate enough to hire someone to do the port.

Speaking of the PC, where do you guys usually find your games digitally? Through something like Steam? Or direct from the developers?

richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 10:16:09 PM »

Sounds like a fantastic project. How far along is the engine? Have you run into any problems finishing the content before the engine?

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:54 AM »

Hopefully we can sort out a PC version somehow. Either along with the other versions launcher, or soon after as a port if we generate enough to hire someone to do the port.

Speaking of the PC, where do you guys usually find your games digitally? Through something like Steam? Or direct from the developers?
Usually I either hear from word of mouth or I check out games that pop up on review sites and news sites like rockpapershotgun or tigsource or wherever.

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »

Usually I either hear from word of mouth or I check out games that pop up on review sites and news sites like rockpapershotgun or tigsource or wherever.

I guess I meant more specifically about the delivery method (after first discovery) - are most of the games you get downloaded direct from the developer? Or are they through a service of some kind?

I am most interested since I do not have a PC and most of the games I get are through some type of service. Either the App Store or Steam or PSN for example. Occasionally I have gotten apps direct from developers, like Machinarium for example I did the pre-order through Amanita's site.

If we are going to plan a PC released, which of course we would like to if we have the resources and people for it, then we will have to decide how to release it. And I want to use the method that is friendly to indie gamers, but also is not left wide open for piracy.

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 02:13:55 AM »

http://www.desura.com/ is a new service I haven't used it yet though.

I buy from developers directly, steam, www.gog.com All downloads, some have key files, some are drm free, some are steam locked.
CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »

Sounds like a fantastic project. How far along is the engine? Have you run into any problems finishing the content before the engine?

Thanks!  Beer!

As for the engine we are doing a lot in tandem. We have many aspects to this so it has made it more complicated than probably the average project.

I guess we will have two parts to the engine. The first is the one that will handle all the scenes with animation, spoken dialogue, subtitles and camera work. This one is coming along well. We should have some tests running within the next few days.

The second part is what will handle all the puzzles. The progress on this has not gone too far yet, because I am still finishing up the master design document for all the puzzle segments.

Here is an example of a page from that document:

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »

I love the frog's expressions. He is just so great, and the watercolor backgrounds are pretty charming! I could totally play this game without any puzzles and still like it.

not that i dislike puzzles or anything or that im advocating ditching them

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »

http://www.desura.com/ is a new service I haven't used it yet though.

I buy from developers directly, steam, www.gog.com All downloads, some have key files, some are drm free, some are steam locked.

Steam would be ideal, but they sort of hand pick what games they carry right?

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »

Just a small update. We finished the voice recording today, with the final session being for a second take on the narration. We are pretty happy with how everyone's recordings came out. The characters are fun and varied.

Perhaps in a few days we can post a new video.

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »

Here is a short animated segment, animated with sprites:

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »

Last night I finished all the assets for the prologue - all the background art (with foreground elements) and sprites for all scenes.

It was very nice to see a whole bunch of red check marks!  Well, hello there!

Now I am working my way through the 1st chapter. I am hoping the process becomes a bit faster. While working on the prologue I was also testing a lot of things out. What the art direction and style should be. Use of color. All the supporting character designs and universal themes. What resolutions to account for. The balance for the animations - between completely fluid and choppy but manageable for a small team.

At the end I am pretty happy with the results and look of all the Prologue scenes. Going forward I have a very clear idea of how everything can and should work.

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »

Here is a shot of one of the first puzzles in the game. In this puzzle you swipe around a room (panoramic) and drag the books on the left to their rightful place among different bookshelves.

Each bookshelf is in a specifically designed reading niche within the room. Our eccentric character was not satisfied with one bookcase to hold all his books. So of course they needed to be arranged about the room by mood!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »

I really like the art direction, especially in still image.  Kiss

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »

Still plugging away!

Some miscellaneous screenshots:

CEDE
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »

Work is still underway. We are just putting all the pieces together now. I wanted to post a story excerpt. This clip is from chapter 7 of the game. This is the scene where Desi meets a scamp on the street and the two go to a brothel. The story plays out until the scamp runs off, leading into the chapters action puzzle (not shown).

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 05:53:47 AM »

this is all looking really good!  seems like the perfect type of game for an ipad.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic