Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:41:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGoblin War Machine!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Goblin War Machine!  (Read 8728 times)
NotHere
Level 0

jelly bean

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »

Hmmm... I don't really have a problem with it, if I notice that my vehicle is too vertical I reverse asap in order to smooth myself out again. Ever since I started putting in the effort to do that I've hardly flipped.

It also helps that my war machine's wheels are lower in the back than in the front, I think that helps stabilize it a bit more (also lowers my vehicle's... pilot section? which makes it harder for soldiers to attack it from the front or underneath). Heavy wheels also seem to help me make sure that I don't flip over that much.

Edit: Any chance that the war machine design section could be put... somewhere else? I like tinkering with my war machine a lot, but having to select a level first is a very minor inconvenience.

And speaking of tinkering... is there a command that can make me exit out of a level completely? Sometimes I want to experiment with some of the parts but it turns out to be a pain in the ass to complete the level, so maybe I don't want to play through the level entirely in order to fix that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:55:27 PM by NotHere » Logged
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »

Press escape should exit to the menu  Beer!

Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 04:44:45 AM »

Oh man, once I unlocked the larger uneven wheels I started steamrolling those older levels.

And lowering the sight distance for the spearmen really really helped!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:08:25 AM by Ixis » Logged
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 09:06:59 AM »

Where you flippin bro?  Like what part exactly?  It shouldn't be your war machine design that early in the game, the whole game can be completed on the bare stock 2 wheeler so not sure whats up.  If you can pinpoint the part where you flip I might be able to make it a bit more easy there, but chances are if your struggling on the 2nd then the 3rd is going to hurt.

Every single time, after I go off the ramp leading to the houses (on the second level), I flipped over and couldn't get up again. Tried with a ton of combinations of different wheels and suspensions, tried going faster and slower and the ramp, tried sliding around while I was upside-down in an attempt to right myself, but nothing really helped! It was pretty frustrating.

Then I bought the Wussy Main Thing and won the level on my first go. GOLD SKULLMEDAL.

I don't really know what to conclude from this!

(But: congrats, a Rock Paper Shotgun link!)

EDIT: And beat the game!

That was really fun, once I got past level 2. (Though more of my time than I'd have liked was spent repeatedly trying to get past the collapsing bridges.)

Still. Fun!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:58:08 AM by PleasingFungus » Logged

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
NotHere
Level 0

jelly bean

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »

I beat the game and got gold on everything except the last two levels :D the only two things I had left to unlock were the last two chassis.

However I've lost all my progress so I won't be getting back to it for awhile (because it actually took me quite some time to do all that and I am a bit miffed).

One thing though... the enemy cannons are a pain in the ass to fight. They're like spearmen except my entire war machine is a hurt box (or else the splash area on the cannon balls they fire is absolutely huge), AND they kill quite a lot of goblins whenever they hit. I'm assuming this is intended?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:27:55 PM by NotHere » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »

I usually wait for the cannons to fire and then shoot their shots out of the air for a bonus, then take them out quickly (by running them over, if I can manage) The only time they manage to hit me usually is if I'm being careless.

I's missing 3 golds, two wheels, and the last main thing.

Huckler
Level 0

Programmer/Developer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »

I played for like 45 minutes.. got pretty far. My main problem is flipping over. it's incredibly easy to flip over. The one level where theres a cliff with a straight 90 degree drop off made me angry. Took me 20 tries or more to beat it... :/

Other than flipping over constantly, there weren't too many big issues with the game. I like it :D
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »

Quite good. Quite, quite good. Hand Thumbs Up Right
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 12:28:11 AM »

There's one bug that you really should get fixed: sometimes the dynamite barrels become invincible to cannon fire, but still blow you up.

Also, it works just fine as it is but I think it would be cool if you added some sort of flashy explosion for dynamite and cannon attacks hitting the war machine. The first few times I got hit by those weapons I was like "where did all my goblins go?"

EDIT: One other thing, when I'm playing for medals it would be nice to be able to restart the level with 'R' even after I kill the king, rather than being sent back to the menu each time.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:52:11 AM by William Broom » Logged

JGalecki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 07:30:41 AM »

This game is quite fun. The graphics gel well with the theme and running through human villages was a hoot. I've gone through and have gold on all but a few levels now.

I feel like the upgrades are not quite balanced. The game was so much easier after getting the tricycle chassis, but this upgrade wasn't that much more expensive than the best gun. On the other hand, I felt like the early wheel and all the suspension upgrades weren't worthwhile.

I also found a bug on the first balloon level. I fell through the bridge. Instead of dying and losing the level, my guy was just stuck below the bridge. I was using the tricycle chassis and three safety wheels.

Good stuff.

Currently making: Caravana
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »

This is great I'm loving this! I love trying to get all the little bonuses like shooting guys out of the sky. Customizing your war machine rocks!

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 12:16:35 AM »

Thanks for playing sorry for the lack of updates it got really busy last day or so!  So we decided to patch alot of the discussed problems here + more content with a expansion to the game in the next week or so, hopefully it addresses most of the problems raised and adds a whole heap of new weapons, achievements, levels and collectibles to play with, the theme for it will be dwarven mines so lots of underground sections and all that.

Going to try n compile a giant fixed list over the weekend with all the suggestions here and get on it, so keep them coming, and thanks for testing  Beer!

Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 04:17:43 AM »

Hell yeah  Cool
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »

All I can say is that I really like what's already here, but I want a hardcore mode with longer levels and harder obstacles.  (Like jumps over ditches and stuff)

hi
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 11:32:21 PM »

We have been hammering out updates the last week or two on goblin to remove most of the bugs known in the game and also make the game more accessible (flip keys and alike) in preparation for the expansion, check it out of you get some time.  Beer!  Also added a ton of forum achievements for anyone who's interested in that sort of stuff.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »

The dwarf expansion will be out in a week so I thought id post it here to see if anyone would be keen on testing it out today?

I made a new video to tempt a few half interested peoples also, just to show sort of all the new stuff that's been added, if your keen on playing it a week early for free jump over here http://www.bigblockgames.com/forum/goblin/160/  or just shoot me a email at [email protected].  Beer!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 04:05:40 AM »

This game is awesome, I like to play it with my friend on boring programming lessons.

mook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 04:10:17 AM »

In short, I love it.

Especially the way the humans panic and yell when you chase them, it reminds me of Angry Birds - one of the hooks in that game is the silly noises.

I also like the way you mixed a couple of different genres.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 04:16:17 AM »

this is great! I gameovered by driving upside down into a breaking bridge and the game told me I could flip with F and I couldnt restart any way?

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 04:33:54 AM »

awww and you guys are just playing the old version, signup to that forum post and check the new game, its miles better... its.... super.  Cheesy  Still tons of stuff to fix with the new expansion by the feedback, but getting through it now.

I think R restarts the old version, we killed flip in the new one, and allowed you to jump back around when you flip, I think it works better...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic