Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:29:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Versus Competition: Rules
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Versus Competition: Rules  (Read 141484 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:32 AM »

Just want to reiterate how fucking PUMPED I am to be in this compo.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »

Yeah the forums needed that!

Ashkin
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2011, 02:10:45 AM »

I FINALLY got a vague idea or at least inspiration.
Now maybe I shall make some mediocre concept art, flesh out the concept and set up a thread Noir
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2011, 02:36:34 AM »

1-keyboard-2-player games has always been my favourites. I loved when the frontpage had a series of posts on that theme. With any luck, this compo will fuel my addiction for years to come! Evil

But fuck the "must run on Win32" rule. Everyone has free access to easy-to-use linux, as long as they have a USB-stick or a empty CD. No installation or modification of the computer is required. Using Windows, on the other hand, is neither free nor easy.

But I plan doing something multi-platform anyway. Just as long as I don't have to support IE Tired

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Benjaminsen
Level 0

Games games games.... oh! And games!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2011, 02:56:25 AM »

Hey Everybody!

Getting a bit of feedback from some of you has shown, that a few people have some initial problems getting started with the Player.IO multiplayer. Thus a quick followup to drop some direct links to documentation and guides.

The offer for 4 months of free Player.IO naturally still stands!

Firstly I suggest you watch this video tutorial which basically gives you an introduction on how to get the system started. There is also a written introduction here.

Here is a video introduction for getting started with Facebook integration if anyone has social integration in mind.

Lastly, if there is a general interest, I would be more than happy to have a live coding session / livechat where I can introduce the system and answer your questions. Now you are properly wondering what a founder of a platform company knows about games? Well Player.IO was founded because our entire team loves making games. Even more so I have several multiplayer projects as pet projects - hereof the largest is Everybody Edits

[EDIT]
Also if you got Player.IO questions we have a great forum or you can just write me directly at [email protected]

You could also join #player.io on freenode

Best
Chris Benjaminsen
Founder Player.IO
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:48:53 AM by Benjaminsen » Logged
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »

You could also join #player.io on freenode
Do it! Beer!

ink.inc
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:18 AM »

You're getting a lot of good will for what you're doing here, Benjaminsen.  Tears of Joy
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »

Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet:
Just what do the rules say about audio stuff? What kind of sound effects and music are legit? Can I ask a friend outside of this community to compose for me?

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »

you could ask me to compose for you, thats not against the rules  Who, Me?

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2011, 10:20:20 AM »

Can I ask a friend outside of this community to compose for me?

Ofcourse you can!
The contest doesn't say anything about you having to be a part of the community, to participate. I'd even say that if your friend contributes, she/he will in a way become part of the community!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2011, 10:25:27 AM »

she/he will in a way become part of the community!
Only people of the community can participate, but we will automatically claim everybody for the community who works with any of us!

Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »

Wholy jumpin bezeezus. I tried forever to sign up here!!!The registration proccess is ambiguos. maybe some of you who've been here since 1999 wouldnt know but let me inform you what I went through, I registered ---> email was sent ---> link was clicked from email ---> sent to a screen that had a menu titled'RESEND Activation email' . so I'm thinking "what the hell went wrong? resend?" so I fill out all fields and it Resends me a new code!! I had to do this about 3 times before I figured out that I must only enter the username field and ignore the next two feilds then enter the last field requesting the code. anyway, maybe I'm exceedingly stupid but the fact that I had to deal with this means we need to redo this entire site ..properly.

I'm from the Game Institute (.com) and a friend forwarded me here, we have a competition every month and this month's challenge happened to be about 'multiplayer' so someone musingly (if thats a word) post a link to your compo here. we agreed that you guys must have spies at GI but nevermind that. I'll cut to the chase, I've come to take the first prize.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:13:23 PM by Glinka » Logged
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04:30 PM »

I should win it with efficient code and punctillious syntax.
Ha! We're Indie around these parts so neither of those attributes carries any weight with us. We like hacks and sloppy code.

ink.inc
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »

I should win it with efficient code and punctillious syntax.
Ha! We're Indie around these parts so neither of those attributes carries any weight with us. We like hacks and sloppy code.

With the exception of Tyler Glaiel and Notch, we ARE hacks and sloppy code.
Ashkin
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »

Bluh, I have two excellent ideas, and I don't know which to choose! And no, I will NOT make two games >.< Bluhhhhhhhhhhhrhghhghghgle.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »

Well I'm almost done with my game so I think I might have a go at another one. I might do a local multiplayer game so that I have the online and local crowds covered.

Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »

Bluh, I have two excellent ideas, and I don't know which to choose! And no, I will NOT make two games >.<

A monk said to Yueh-shan, "I have a problem. Will you solve it for me?"
Yueh-shan said, "I will solve it for you tonight."
That evening, Yueh-shan ascended the high seat, and said, "Will the monk who has the problem step forward?"
The monk stepped forward. Yueh-shan descended from his seat, grasped the monk by the lapels of his robe, and called out, "Oh, monk, this fellow has a problem!" Then he pushed him away and walked out.
- Zen mondo

Well I'm almost done with my game so I think I might have a go at another one. I might do a local multiplayer game so that I have the online and local crowds covered.
Didnt the competition start yesterday?
ink.inc
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »

Didnt the competition start yesterday?

Like we said, hacks and sloppy code.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »

It started on the 18th. Three days isn't bad for a game, and mine isn't really the most complicated of apps. Although I do code pretty fast anyway. Epileptic

Ashkin
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »

Bluh, I have two excellent ideas, and I don't know which to choose! And no, I will NOT make two games >.<

A monk said to Yueh-shan, "I have a problem. Will you solve it for me?"
Yueh-shan said, "I will solve it for you tonight."
That evening, Yueh-shan ascended the high seat, and said, "Will the monk who has the problem step forward?"
The monk stepped forward. Yueh-shan descended from his seat, grasped the monk by the lapels of his robe, and called out, "Oh, monk, this fellow has a problem!" Then he pushed him away and walked out.
- Zen mondo
I- I don't get it ._.
*decides to ask other people*
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic