Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:45:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Versus Competition: Rules
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Versus Competition: Rules  (Read 140420 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »

I added a bit more focus to the competitive aspect in the rules.

So yeah. Those of you in doubt, we're here to see BLOODEvil

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »

You could make a co-op game where players secretly try to screw each other over.

Goddamn it, that's one of my ideas!
Great minds think alike.
ChevyRay
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2011, 01:58:55 PM »

Yeah I don't think he meant like, having co-op, I think he meant more having co-op teams, like 2v2. So you're cooperating, but also playing versus another team of two.

But since my game idea is non-cooperative anyways, I'm not too concerned with change in rules regarding this Tongue but I still think it should be cleared up heheh.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »

I cleared it up a bit myself. If Derek has a problem with it he'll probably make it heard. It's still early so small changes won't kill people.

EDIT: Also, i think Derek made this compo for the only purpose of getting new fighting games.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:27:03 PM by Melly » Logged

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »

I see that the compo ends the day before GDC starts.  We're going to have a lot of games to play this year.
ChevyRay
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »

Hahaha yeah no shit!
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »

Does anyone think we should have some indication of how the game plays as a thread icon or part of a thread title? I don't mean the genre, but, say, "hotseat" or "online". I don't have anybody who will play hotseat games with me, so it'd be pretty cool if I knew without checking a topic whether or not it's online-playable.
Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 03:06:50 PM »

I'm totally going for a fast-paced screen polluting combo-maniac brawling, with a little twist over here and there. (I can't be all wrong being THAT generic)
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »

Melly (and Derek, if you're around), what are your thoughts on allowing bots for solo play?

A very liberal interpretation of the rules could be that each game must at least support true player vs. player but may also include bots to sub in for one or more players.

It doesn't quite assuage the primary concern about the Versus compo (that lots of people sadly won't get to experience these games as they are intended), but it could help. In most cases, these kind of games would not be very fun with bots, but people could at least get a feel for what the game is like and maybe decide that it looks like a lot of fun and they really want to find other people to play against.

And I don't feel that it violates the spirit of the competition because each game absolutely must support two humans competing as the default mode.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 05:35:31 PM »

I personally think bots are perfectly fine, as long as your game works primarily in a competitive human vs human fashion. Like you said, bots can be a good way for a player to gauge if the game would actually be worth trying to gather a bunch of friends for some hectic multiplayer sessions.

ink.inc
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »

Those of you REALLY without people to test your game with, consider coding AI and bots to complement your game! Machines need fun too!
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »

Those of you REALLY without people to test your game with, consider coding AI and bots to complement your game! Machines need fun too!
Hurp durp! Durr...? I read this whole thread looking to see if anyone had already asked about bots but totally missed Melly's updated rules.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »

When you finish your entry, place the word "[FINISHED]" after your thread's title. Example: "My awesome online gaem" => "My awesome online gaem [FINISHED]". You can also use this to announce a cancellation.
Isn't there usually a completed entries thread that you are supposed to post finished games in? That would definitely be easier than trawling through all the abandoned entries to find the finished ones.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »

I'm sure that's what Derek will implement. This is meant for the general users, so people can spot a finished game quickly.

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »

Great minds think alike.

No one notices that the rest of the quote is "and fools never differ". Tee hee.

Seriously, good ideas, awesome challenge. I'm in.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »

Great minds think alike.

No one notices that the rest of the quote is "and fools never differ". Tee hee.
:D
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2011, 08:23:25 PM »

Mmm, I really want to do this, but with finishing up The Indie Game Legend and possibly collabbing on a game with cactus, I just don't think I'm going to be able to Sad

Also, if I could get hold of Brandon, I would try to work on Madhouse HD in hopes of getting it finished in time for next TIGJam/IGF submission... But... Where the heck is that dude? :/

Paging Dr. Pierog... Paging Dr. Pierog...

ink.inc
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2011, 08:27:35 PM »

possibly collabbing on a game with cactus

oh baby
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »

Yes, after 5 years of knowing the guy and trying to talk him into a collab, he finally agreed. We're having a baby! ...unless it suffers a horrible miscarriage. We're both pretty busy and like two completely opposite schools of game design, so it might not even happen, but if it does... you guys are in for a "Sad WTF  Embarrassed Well, hello there! Epileptic"

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2011, 09:10:43 PM »

Though it wouldn't hurt to change the thread to "[FINISHED] Game name" so that people can sort the threads alphabetically and find all the finished game threads at the top.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic