Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:16:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Versus Competition: Rules
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Versus Competition: Rules  (Read 141473 times)
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:35 PM »

Hmmm, I'll be busy for the next 2 weeks at least - if I'm free after then I'll put something together.

Unity seems like a good option to me, too as it has Raknet built in... I've messed around with C++ networking before but it's a lot of work to get everything going that you get built in otherwise.

EDIT: I have a multiplayer concept around that I'm thinking of revisiting, in fact the one that I messed around with Boost.Asio for, would it be alright restarting that for this competition? It never really got to a "game" state before.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:24 AM »

You can reuse old code and stuff like that, no problem.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:09 AM »

I'm looking forward to the creative variations of non-"fighter" entries.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »

I'm busy as hell but who cares, I'm in

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2011, 04:26:35 AM »

hey gais, maybe i've missed it, BUT:

-can it be a game i'm already working on
-must it be a game dedicated to versus ONLY or have versus as one of the options?

I MEAN I COULD CREATE A GAME WHICH WOULD BE COOP AND VERSUS AT THE SAME TIMEEEE Hand Shake Left Epileptic Hand Shake Right Hand Any Key

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2011, 04:38:12 AM »

@davidp:

Rules: Entries should be started and ended within the timeframe of the competition (feel free to put up your game threads and begin brainstorming earlier, though) and must be made for the competition only.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2011, 04:42:15 AM »

hmmmmm, i guess i could transform the current idea in new one and start from scratch, today.

now this:
-must it be a game dedicated to versus ONLY or have versus as one of the options?
(it would be singleplayer / versus ONLY modes, two of them)

Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2011, 04:43:17 AM »

Entries should be started and ended within the timeframe of the competition (feel free to put up your game threads and begin brainstorming earlier, though) and must be made for the competition only.

The game must be made for the competition only!? So I can't make it for my website as well? Durr...?

The way I read this it seems I can't enter another contest with my game, but clarification would be nice (in case it would apply to means of distribution, pricing, international politics, etc).
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2011, 04:49:31 AM »

You can do anything you want with the game (put it on your website, sell it, submit it to IGF, tie it up and spank it, etc.) as long as it was started for the competition.
Daniel Eddeland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:31 AM »

A great many thanks for the quick answer!  Coffee
Dualnames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »

Can I ask a stupidly stupid questions regarding multiplayer games, and if a multiplayer game is a valid entry?
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »

Can I ask a stupidly stupid questions regarding multiplayer games, and if a multiplayer game is a valid entry?
Undecided
...come again?

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2011, 07:02:34 AM »

I was under the impression that that was the whole point of the contest...
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »

The start and end dates couldn't have been worse for me Sad A shame because, although I never participated in a compo and never felt like it, this one sound like a great opportunity to do a very simple and fast game.

bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2011, 07:15:38 AM »

It's on like a trademarked slogan!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2011, 07:27:33 AM »

The idea of the compo is to make games based around the concept of versus. As such, it's more interesting that your game's primary role be a versus game, but I don't see why you can't add extra functionality on top of that.

I don't understand where the question came from, to be honest. Competitive multiplayer games, online or offline, are the whole point of the competition.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2011, 08:02:40 AM »

I'm in, maybe my first game ever to be completed. Yay!
Benjaminsen
Level 0

Games games games.... oh! And games!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »

Hey Everybody,

Was just send this thread by a friend who wants me to compete and woh, this looks like it will be fun, so I will definitely be working on my own entry.

When that is said, let me introduce myself, my name is Chris Benjaminsen and I am one of the founders of Player.IO - A cloud platform for games, that among other things provide realtime multiplayer support. From my google alerts it's apparent that you guys have been talking a lot about our service so I thought this competition would be a great opportunity to give you all a chance to try it out.

Thus, if you want to use Player.IO for this competition, create an account at our website and send me an email at [email protected] and I will award you 4 months of free Plus membership ASAP.

Quick about Player.IO - Our client API fully supports Flash AS3, Unity3D and C#, a total list of services can be found here

Happy hacking
Chris Benjaminsen
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2011, 09:31:36 AM »

[deleted sarcastic comment]

No really, that's nice of you, I'm just being bitchy Tongue

ink.inc
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »

That's really cool of you to do!