Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 05:49:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Vergessen [not currently being worked on anymore]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Vergessen [not currently being worked on anymore]  (Read 106638 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »

Spent the last two hours working on the framework for this game. I've got red boxes walkin' around everywhere, using a heavily modded platforming code that was originally based on Matt Thorson's Grandma_Engine (thanks again for making that Mr. Thorson, it helped me a lot when I first started devving). Right now, it's two players on one laptop, so I've implemented a customizable control scheme for the two players (currently editable via .ini file), as well as basic splitscreen.

Getting stuff done feels damn good. While I'm off to lunch, I'll look into my networking options; that seems to be the trickiest bit for me to deal with right now.
MaloEspada
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 11:38:39 AM »

The idea reminds me of Battle Royale, or something along those lines.

Finish this shit, man.
ink.inc
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »

Finish this shit, man.

Oh, I plan on it. I've even started up a development schedule to keep me on task.  Evil
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »

This is ubercool, I want to make you a music!

pick me pick me!!! Hand Shake Left Durr...? Hand Thumbs Up Right

ink.inc
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »

This is ubercool, I want to make you a music!

pick me pick me!!! Hand Shake Left Durr...? Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks! Heh, I was about to ask you for samples, but then I noticed your sig. Checking out your stuff now.
Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »

GG (GC=Good competition?)

Im rooting for this game, even though I haven't seen much.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »

I'm hoping the random musician walking around are up for making tracks for several games, cause I'll want some too.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »

I'm hoping the random musician walking around are up for making tracks for several games, cause I'll want some too.

Be my guest!

Checking out your stuff now.

So, am I any good for this?

Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 03:36:49 PM »

Oh man, this sounds neat, and your art (even if it's just placeholder) is lovely. Looking forward to playing this.
ink.inc
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 03:58:37 PM »

So, am I any good for this?

There might be a track or two for you later down the road  Wink.
Oh man, this sounds neat, and your art (even if it's just placeholder) is lovely. Looking forward to playing this.
GG (GC=Good competition?)

Im rooting for this game, even though I haven't seen much.

Thanks a bunch you guys! Really.  You're doing wonders for my poor self esteem. Tears of Joy
increpare
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »

I like the idea   Beer!
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »

This is a really grim concept for a game. Shocked

But if you do it well, it could be interesting.

ink.inc
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 01:53:34 AM »

This is a really grim concept for a game. Shocked

It isn't a game by John Sandoval if the player isn't breaking at least one of their core morals.

Random Shit I Made:

Half Size

Full Size

Took the character sprite and removed some of it's characteristics (eyes) and made them thinner. Reducing the cuteness quotient is something that I feel is probably a good idea for this game. There's one male character (he's the one with the longcoat) and one female character (obviously the one without the longcoat). Playing around with the idea of having up to 8 players on networked play, but in reality that probably will not happen before the deadline of this competition.

Also made a font (which I happen to really like) and did some random art assets for the hell of it.

The game has a bit of color coding: if it's blue and futuristic-lookin', it's your technology. If otherwise... well, who knows?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:21:08 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 01:57:33 AM »

Really digging the style, looking forward to this one.

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 04:58:36 AM »

From that screen alone I can tell this'll be auto-awesome. Really interesting concept by the way.
Maqrkk
Level 0

Coffee.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 04:58:56 AM »

This already looks great. I'm amazed what some can come up with in such short time. I'd do anything to be able to produce graphics like that.

I like coffee, debugging and industrial hardcore. <3
it_is_coming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »

This reminds me very much of m.u.l.e. Blood lust under the guise of cooperation.
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »

Love the concept, but there's one thing I'm not sure about: If the players know that there will never be enough food for both of them, what's to stop them just trying to kill one another immediately?

ink.inc
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »

Love the concept, but there's one thing I'm not sure about: If the players know that there will never be enough food for both of them, what's to stop them just trying to kill one another immediately?

Because the only way to get enough food for one person in time is for both of them to work together. Also, there will be certain puzzles (simple ones) that can only be passed with two people, mobs that can only be overcome with two guns at the ready, and a few other hazards that would be best faced with two players. A lot of the tension in the game is deciding when to help your friend for your own benefit, deciding when to hold out on them, and deciding when to outright betray them (Wow, that's pretty cynical). In the beginning there'll be enough food for the two to work together fairly well, but later on... Well, there's a bunch of ideas I have, but I'm still fleshing it out, seeing what'll work and what won't.

Couple of ways the game could potentially end:
a. One player kills another player while the current total food is equal to the food needed to survive. Win.
b. One player kills another player while the current total food collected is less than the food needed to survive the rest of the time; the game then determines how much food the living player would be able to collect on his own by calculating how many assets are available in the area, then determining if that player won or lost.
c. The same as b, except one of the players dies on his own as a result of monsters or weather or stupidity.
d. Both players die.

Here's a grid based building system that I stole was inspired by Under the Garden. The blue thingy on the right is a drill, for exploration into the cave and tunnel system underneath the surface of the planet.

[/shameless plug]

Also, for those who are interested, I recently got a Twitter account. You can find the link in my signature.

[/shameless plug]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:44:11 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »

An interesting complication might be that players who take damage actually get injured and can't move as fast, shoot as accurately, etc.  So a crafty (and soulless) player might hesitate juuust a few seconds in coming to help, allowing his "friend" to be tragically bitten on the leg by a bear -- this would give him an advantage if/when he needs to kill her, but she'll also be less help, and he might need to get medicine or something to keep her alive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic